Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Hey guys need help please. Travelling to Venice in July and need to rent a car to go to Croatia. Anyone know a reputable and affordable company that allow us cross borders for free (or at least not mental money). Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hey guys need help please. Travelling to Venice in July and need to rent a car to go to Croatia. Anyone know a reputable and affordable company that allow us cross borders for free (or at least not mental money). Thanks in advance.

Most of them will let you cross boarders for free. I've rented in Spain and drove to france. Rented in France and drove to Switzerland. The more reputable companies have no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Do check as a lot of them have restrictions on driving into post soviet countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for the replies folks....bottled it in a way, and went for the more expensive company Enterprise.

Just the stress of constantly thinking how some of those cheaper companies could screw me....At least with the bigger, more reputable companies you'd imagine more in the line of customer service...(more...not a lot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take out annual excess insurance, only take cars that have a full to full fuel policy and watch out for limited mileage. Finally ensure you have enough on your card to cover a deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

What company would you recommend for excess insurance cover?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Carhireexcess.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Booked a reno capture auto from hertz in Bordeaux. Offered me an upgrade to a luxury ds7 worth 55k for €170 for 2wks. I said no thanks but it was the only auto left so he had to give it to me gratis.. Nice to get a bit of luck on hols..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Booked a reno capture auto from hertz in Bordeaux. Offered me an upgrade to a luxury ds7 worth 55k for €170 for 2wks. I said no thanks but it was the only auto left so he had to give it to me gratis.. Nice to get a bit of luck on hols..

Noice..... Can you check for an upgrade before you get there? Or is there anyway to swing things in your favor? Ie booking a specific car hoping to god they don't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

Hi

We're heading off to Spain and are taking our two kids (6 and 8) and my mother with us. I have those Trunki Boostapak car seats for the kids and there will be an adult sitting between them. We will have two 20kg suitcases plus hand luggage. I had booked a Skoda Octavia with GoldCar but want to cancel based on the poor reviews.

We don't want to go as big as a 7 seater due to budget constraints but what size car should we go for? Would an Opel Insignia, Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo be big enough?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Noice..... Can you check for an upgrade before you get there? Or is there anyway to swing things in your favor? Ie booking a specific car hoping to god they don't have it!

I think you have a better chance of an upgrade with an automatic car as they are limited in stock. I just got lucky. I'd play it by ear when u get to the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Going hiring a car in Nantes first time hiring a car. Do I need credit card or will debit car do. What else do I need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hi

We're heading off to Spain and are taking our two kids (6 and 8) and my mother with us. I have those Trunki Boostapak car seats for the kids and there will be an adult sitting between them. We will have two 20kg suitcases plus hand luggage. I had booked a Skoda Octavia with GoldCar but want to cancel based on the poor reviews.

We don't want to go as big as a 7 seater due to budget constraints but what size car should we go for? Would an Opel Insignia, Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo be big enough?

Thanks

Any of the three cars should be ok for 3 passengers in the rear seat. The two suitcases will fit in the boot and hand luggage can be accommodated in the car.

You are right to be wary of Goldcar.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Renting a car in France - will spare bulbs, hi VI's jackets, breathalyzer kit etc normally included???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Renting a car in France - will spare bulbs, hi VI's jackets, breathalyzer kit etc normally included???

All legal requirements should be present and correct.
    No harm to check.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi

Thanks

Is the Octavia being placed with the Insignia in one car group or two? Both very spacious cars but Skoda has the more superior but you're not guaranteed it. This is more in terms of the boot.

The adult passenger in the rear may find it a tight squeeze in the middle. But you're never going to hide away from that without going into the MPV range or large SUV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

valtra2 wrote: »
    Going hiring a car in Nantes first time hiring a car. Do I need credit card or will debit car do. What else do I need to know

Check direct (not the broker) with the supplier for their terms. Most require a Credit Card for the deposit at least, sometimes both. Every rental company is different and the same company will have different rules in different countries (eg Enterprise in Ireland vs Enterprise Croatia. Two different policies for everything from coverage, car groups, payment methods and so on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads any advice on who to try rent a car in France from? I’m looking for a car for around 7 or 8 days to drive from around Caen to Lille France but the prices I’m gettin quoted is crazy ...

LillySV wrote: »
    Lads any advice on who to try rent a car in France from? I’m looking for a car for around 7 or 8 days to drive from around Caen to Lille France but the prices I’m gettin quoted is crazy ...

Peak season, rates always going to be high. Be careful going to a budget smaller supplier as they may not always be what you expect. I generally look on the reviews of a supplier before deciding tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Hi All, can anyone recommend cheap car hire in Bristol airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,111 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Hi All, can anyone recommend cheap car hire in Bristol airport?

Easirent is the cheapest by a mile but they put a massive hold on your card (over £1k) unless you take their extortionate insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Caranica wrote: »
    Easirent is the cheapest by a mile but they put a massive hold on your card (over £1k) unless you take their extortionate insurance

I have dealt with them in the past, they are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

Hi there, not sure if this post is in the right forum.
    I'm planning to rent a car for a week in Malaga this month. I've rented before but still I'm always confused about what's the best deal and to make sure I'm fully covered. I was done before in the UK a few years ago where Sixt claimed I scraped the underneath of the car and sent me a bill of €600! Luckily I had https://www.carhireexcess.ie insurance and they paid out.

Is this still the best option to take? i.e. just get a standard deal in any car hire company and then have a separate excess insurance? Or is it better to take full insurance cover with the hire company?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Barney224 wrote: »
    Is this still the best option to take? i.e. just get a standard deal in any car hire company and then have a separate excess insurance?

By a mile, yes it is. Having your own excess insurance is the better option. The insurance they sell you at the rental desk is way more expensive.

People will tell you about the 'peace of mind' they feel when they take the rental company's insurance but that's a complete load of BS. In many cases, an excess policy covers tyres and glass and the insurance they sell you at the desk does not.

coylemj wrote: »
    By a mile, yes it is. Having your own excess insurance is the better option. The insurance they sell you at the rental desk is way more expensive.

People will tell you about the 'peace of mind' they feel when they take the rental company's insurance but that's a complete load of BS. In many cases, an excess policy covers tyres and glass and the insurance they sell you at the desk does not.

OK thanks. I probably answered my own question above, based on my previous experience and having my own excess. I just always find it so confusing when trying to choose a car and company. but I think I'll just go the route of having my own excess cover again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yes still best to get your own policy. I've used malagacar (very good the few times I've used them) and the place next door (terrible place, cannot remember the name, horrendous state of the car) in the past with my policy with no issues. I think the deposit they take has substantially risen since I was last there about 5 years ago.

theteal wrote: »
    Yes still best to get your own policy. I've used malagacar (very good the few times I've used them) and the place next door (terrible place, cannot remember the name, horrendous state of the car) in the past with my policy with no issues. I think the deposit they take has substantially risen since I was last there about 5 years ago.

Yeah, my dad uses Malagacar often and swears by them. Their full cover deal is pretty good as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I've been in and out of Bristol more than any other UK airport over the years, and have regularly rented with both Budget and Europcar without ever having a problem with either of them. They're both usually sort of mid-table as regards price when you do a search of all companies. Both just a walk across from the terminal building too, instead of having to do the shuttle bus thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Goldcar at Bordeaux Airport were a disaster recently. It took three hours of queuing at the desk. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Caranica wrote: »

Jesus stay away from these!!! Awful hassle with them in Scotland ... gave me a piece of **** that Broke down, spent hours on side of road and then wouldn’t even refund me for the car or offer any proper apology

Advertisement