If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49"/50" TV Advice

Options
  • 26-07-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Need some advice/direction on a new TV, looking for the best picture quality for normal TV viewing (including HD channels) and streaming from Netflix etc...

Am I correct in saying that 4K is only necessary if TV channels are broadcasting in 4K? 

Some basic requirements;
    • 49"/50" screen.
    • Ethernet Port (require this to connect to a NAS)
    • 2/3 HDMI Ports 
    • Silver panel (or one that is not as noticeable/obvious) around the screen (sounds like a daft request, but my current Samsung UE37D5520RKXXU has cracks on the surrounding black panel. Not from a fall, just seems to have appeared over time and can be distracting)
    • Flat Panel (not interested in curve panels)

To add, I think my current TV has run it's course and the picture at times is not great, example, watching Game of Thrones all the dark scenes (which is essentially the full show!!) are brutal to watch - you are fighting with the reflections of the room on the screen to see what is going on in the show!!
    The sound is not great either, can be fairly muffled at times.

Absolute max budget is 1500 Euro. Would possibly be interested in purchasing a sound bar with the right TV if it falls into that budget.

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Need some advice/direction on a new TV, looking for the best picture quality for normal TV viewing (including HD channels) and streaming from Netflix etc...

Am I correct in saying that 4K is only necessary if TV channels are broadcasting in 4K? 

Some basic requirements;
    • 49"/50" screen.
    • Ethernet Port (require this to connect to a NAS)
    • 2/3 HDMI Ports 
    • Silver panel (or one that is not as noticeable/obvious) around the screen (sounds like a daft request, but my current Samsung UE37D5520RKXXU has cracks on the surrounding black panel. Not from a fall, just seems to have appeared over time and can be distracting)
    • Flat Panel (not interested in curve panels)

[*]

To add, I think my current TV has run it's course and the picture at times is not great, example, watching Game of Thrones all the dark scenes (which is essentially the full show!!) are brutal to watch - you are fighting with the reflections of the room on the screen to see what is going on in the show!!
    The sound is not great either, can be fairly muffled at times.

Absolute max budget is 1500 Euro. Would possibly be interested in purchasing a sound bar with the right TV if it falls into that budget.

Thanks.
    [*]
    Hi DeadSkin.

Thanks for the post.

There are very few Silver surrounds out there at the moment. Most TV's now have such a thin surround that its not really that noticeable.
    To get the best from 4K you do need a 4k source or broadcast. In saying that most television are 4K nowadays.

You reallly should look at the 50DX802 which is coming in at £899.00 or 1049.00 Euro 
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202051-panasonic-tx50dx802b.aspx

This comes with a separate soundbar type speaker and you would not need to purchase this as an extra. Also comes in below budget and looks the part.

It has 4 HDMI inputs and is a top quality screen boosting 4K and HDR with a 10Bit panel.

Regarding connecting your NAS drive, the TV does have an ethernet port but I though that this was only for connecting to your router to get an internet connection to the TV.
    The 802 has wireless and can be networked to your current network

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Thanks Kenny - I will need to look at the dimensions of the base of the stand. 

Is the screen at 90 degrees to the base and can it be tilted - or is it fixed?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey DeadSkin.

The screen sits at 90 degrees and can not be tilted.

The stand is a bit of a brute but what a great TV with an excellent sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hey DeadSkin.

Thanks Kenny - It measures a brute alright!!! Unfortunately 1188mm width is too long!!!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hey DeadSkin.

Thanks Kenny - It measures a brute alright!!! Unfortunately 1188mm width is too long!!!
    Hi DeadSkin,

I would also have a look at the Panasonic TX50EX750. This is one of this years models with a very high spec and a central stand, however it doesn't have a soundbar built in:

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202577-viera-tx50ex750b.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.