Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde home dye over grown out highlights?

Options
  • 26-07-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

My hair is in a desperate state. Its highlighted blonde but I haven't been able to get in done in 6 months so its grown out down to my ears! My natural colour is a mousy brown so its not a good look.

Does anyone know if using a blonde home dye over it would be a good or bad idea?

I can't afford a hairdresser right now and I can't stand my hair as it is!!!

Advice needed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bad idea. Never home dye your hair blonde. You will end up with two different colours in your hair- brassy from the root down to your ear, and then a lighter yellow from the ear down. It's never worth it and you'll end up regretting it and spending more on getting it fixed. Highlights need to be done right by a professional, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

If its reeeeeally annoying you, would you put a brown in until you can afford the highlights again? Brown box dyes tend to come out generally okay! I've used both brown and blonde ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

A brown box dye will look equally awful (it won't cover evenly) and if you want to go back to highlights later, they'll have to remove the brown by either using a remover or re-bleaching it. That means 3x peroxide over the same piece of hair which will leave it very damaged.
    Shop around for a hairdresser that's a bit cheaper?
    Also, some salons run training sessions for student hairdressers and regularly advertise for models. They use professional colouring products but don't usually charge very much for the service which will be supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Dont put home dye over it - blonde or brown. I have tried both and they look terrible. Brown more so especially if its a dark brown - it can turn the highlights green. Has happened to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Don't use home dye. Most have either a warm or ash base which would turn your highlights orange or green.

I'm in the process of growing out blonde highlights. Mine sort of looks like balyage at this stage.

Curling my hair helps disguise the harsh lines.

If you do want to colour it best go professional. Colour correction after box dye can be a nightmare and cost an awful lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Would you consider going to a student hairdresser to cut costs? B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yeah if you go on the likes of Gumtree, there are always people looking for hair models. Definitely don't stick a box dye in. You'll end up spending 30 euro between 2 boxes of dye and toner and deep conditioner (which you would need) and it still is unlikely to be the way you want it over highlights. You could definitely get a student to do a tbar or a colour for that, sometimes even for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would strongly recommend not using a blonde home dye. I did on virgin hair, I knew I was making a mistake but I did it anyway and it was nice until it started growing out. I spent a fortune in the hairdressers over the course of a year or more to help grow it out, tone it down, blend the regrowth out and my hair wasn't that long. I should have just gone to the hairdressers in the first place. Now they have my hair back looking more natural and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id just get a brown dye and go back to your natural colour

Advertisement