Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co signing a Student loan

• 26-07-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6 Kak94

Hi, I'm considering taking out a student loan of about €1500 with aib and having my mother co sign the loan. I'm just wondering whether my bank statements and spending history are confidential to me as I don't want my mother knowing my spending habits. I'm also worried because when I was 3 years ago I wasted a lot of money on online gambling and worried she'll find out about that in the bank and also worried I'll be refused the bank loan as well.
    If anyone could help me out with these worries I'd be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Bradley Savory Teacher

Your mother shouldn't get any access to your bank statements, she should just sign a form saying she'll be liable for the loan if you default. The bank obviously do have access to your records and I guess it's possible they'll refuse you, but if it was 3 years ago and you've been better with your money since I reckon you'll be alright.

Other option would be just tell your mother. Might work out better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kak94

Thanks,
    Well I haven't done any gambling with my money since then but I have been spending my money a bit foolishly but just on regular every day things.
    Its a relief knowing my bank details are confidential though, even if I do get refused

Advertisement