Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike holder rack for car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

veganrun wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a bike holder for the car. I would need a boot rack, and I don't have a towbar so something that will fit but can be easily removed.

Was thinking of this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/saris-bones-3-bike-boot-rack/rp-prod39564?stop_mobi=yes

Anyone here got recommendations?

The Saris Bones is an excellent bike carrier - I have the two bike version and have found it extremely stable, easy-to-fit and secure. You can't go wrong with this one! I would check out a few other sites before buying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of car do you have? some are not really suited to a bike rack - i've an octavia, which is a hatchback which has glass to the edge of the boot lid, so not so easy to get a rack onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

what sort of car do you have? some are not really suited to a bike rack - i've an octavia, which is a hatchback which has glass to the edge of the boot lid, so not so easy to get a rack onto.

The Saris website has a make and model fit guide. I also have a hatchback with glass to edge of boot, but there are hatch huggers available to overcome this issue - you simply replace the side anti-sway straps with the hatch huggers and problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I have a Honda Civic 2013 model. Doesn't seem like Saris have any models that fit according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I bought a cheap towbar (no electrics) from Micks Garage and fitted it myself. I wouldn't be the worlds greatest DIY person either.

It just makes the whole bike rack thing so much easier. On and off in seconds.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/thule-xpress-2-towbar-bike-rack/rp-prod137677

Rack above + towbar for about €100 would be around the same price as the rack you linked to..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

As far as I'm aware, having had a similar problem, there are no racks which will fit to the rear of a 2013 Honda Civic hatch. Get a tow bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I bought a cheap towbar (no electrics) from Micks Garage and fitted it myself. I wouldn't be the worlds greatest DIY person either.

It just makes the whole bike rack thing so much easier. On and off in seconds.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/thule-xpress-2-towbar-bike-rack/rp-prod137677

Rack above + towbar for about €100 would be around the same price as the rack you linked to..

Don't you need a specific towbar that's made for your car? The ones I saw for a Civic were over £200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

veganrun wrote: »
    Don't you need a specific towbar that's made for your car? The ones I saw for a Civic were over £200

Mine was for a KIa but was considerably cheaper so maybe in your case it mightn't be worth it for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The real cost in getting a towbar ( I have a Thule/Brink detachable diagonal-mounted tow bar currently on order for my Focus) is in the fitting & electrical kit. My towbar kit itself cost £215 (incl. postage), but the installation & electrics are going to cost me an extra £300, with the electrical kit being half of that cost. But money well spent tbh as you can't beat a tow-bar mounted carrier.

Edit: you can get cheaper towbars, or non detachable ones for less, but the point still stands regards where the costs will really lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

McCabes will come to you and supply and fit a tow bar for ~€400.

Otherwise a roof rack might be a slightly cheaper option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I got this one (below) for an Octavia which has the problem with glass to the edge of the bootlid. It comes with with plastic bars which replace the hooks and sit inside the boot lid. I was a little nervous about the setup and ended up never using it.

I've since got a new car with a normal hatchback and used the rack - it's very good and sturdy and good value I think, I'd recommend it. You can open boot with it on.

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/skoda/skoda-octavia/octavia-2004-to-2012/products/150362-5120/venezia-3-bike-bicycle-rear-mounted-carrier-car-rack-for-skoda-octavia-2004-2008

Roof options are much cheaper than fitting a towbar (about €130 total for bars, feet and one bike carrier - add ~€40 for each additional bike), but have drawbacks like the 'underground carpark' risk, and often lower weight limits.

Advertisement