Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV protected arm and leg...not warmers?

Options
  • 26-07-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Ahoy,

Will be heading off to spend a couple of weeks in Valencia in the near future and being of a deathly pallor I'm seriously interested in some of those apparently not warm but arm warmer like things with UV resistant fabrics.

It seems to be harder to find the leg/knee..."not warmers" with a better variety of arm protecting units although there seems to be a shortage of fatbag sizes.

Does anyone have any experience of using them? Any recommendations?

Ps: My legs are hairy so I can hardly get less Euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Valencia and extra clothes? Sunscreen or you'll melt, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just use sun cream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Do you mean like the Zoot arm coolers?

I've a set and found them great (mainly from Day 2 onwards where I crisped up bad on day 1 in Lanza)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Valencia and extra clothes? Sunscreen or you'll melt, man.

These are things that are worn in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mullets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sounds like something triathletes wear.Who knew you could put ON clothing to keep cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Rapha sell Arm Screens sounds similar to what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If your heading to Spain in August there is a much simpler solution; don't cycle during hottest part of day.

Either cycle before breakfast(usually the easiest to fit into family life) or in the evening. Some factor 50 and you are sorted.

When I have cycled in sun for very long spins I've always just worn a long sleeved base layer under jersey, which protects the arms and having to deal with continually applying cream. Something to protect neck also.

Other than long climbs and or very humid locations staying cool on bike is never that difficult; I say that as someone who doesn't really like hot weather. Our cooling system is pretty powerful, and amplified when travelling at circa 25-30km/h. I'm sure you'll remember latent heat of evaporation from science classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ford2600 wrote: »
    Other than long climbs and or very humid locations staying cool on bike is never that difficult; I say that as someone who doesn't really like hot weather. Our cooling system is pretty powerful, and amplified when travelling at circa 25-30km/h. I'm sure you'll remember latent heat of evaporation from science classes!
    Yeah, I got a bit of heatstroke in Greece a few years ago. The climbs weren't that long but even a few minutes at <15kph was enough to cause problems at 35C when I was hot at the start of the climb. And even on flatter sections a tailwind got me uncomfortably hot again.

I guess the upside of covering up is that there's more material to absorb water you chuck over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

castelli uv sleeves are good. Even in the hot weather i like them- even though i got a black pair the material is very thin and cooling.

just be careful that you are familiar with castelli sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I used a regular Under Armour base layer to keep the sun off my arms in Arizona.
    3/4 length bib tights and some sunscreen on the shins and calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I never wear a base-layer unless it's well under 10c.

Wearing even the lightest UnderArmour on the bike I'd melt.

Have many years experience using lightweight wicking base-layers in other arduous pursuits but something about the constant effort on the bike means it doesn't work for me.

But my arms and legs being further away from the furnace should be ok.

Advertisement