Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booterstown

Options
  • 26-07-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Checked a few threads on Booterstown but moving down there from NI in September with my wife. Place has a lovely feel to it, but hoping for some inside gen. Any hidden gems/things to look out for? I've been recommended Glessons for a pint and the seafront looks good for a walk/run. Would like to join a golf club and maybe a gym and try and join the local community. Any local guidance welcomed. Wish us Nordies good luck.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hello fellow nordie.

Not much in Booterstown itself, it's kind of just a place in between Sandymount and Blackrock. They're both nice spots so you should check them both out.

Nearest golf courses would be Elm Park (I think it has weird membership requirements) and Dun Laoghaire (expensive membership if I remember right).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

awec wrote: »
    Nearest golf courses would be Elm Park (I think it has weird membership requirements) and Dun Laoghaire (expensive membership if I remember right).

Elm Park advertised recently (think it was the back page of the Irish Times) for social and/or tennis members, not golf. Maybe consider applying for tennis membership as a back door to eventual golf membership. Unbeatable location.

Dun Laoghaire GC decamped to Co. Wicklow a few years ago, a builder did a land swap and built them a brand new clubhouse which by the looks of things is totally underutilised - probably because the members are getting old, it was a crazy move. Officially they are 'accepting applications for membership' but it's a bit remote.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

coylemj wrote: »
    Elm Park advertised recently (think it was the back page of the Irish Times) for social and/or tennis members, not golf. Maybe consider applying for tennis membership as a back door to eventual golf membership. Unbeatable location.

Dun Laoghaire GC decamped to Co. Wicklow a few years ago, a builder did a land swap and built them a brand new clubhouse which by the looks of things is totally underutilised - probably because the members are getting old, it was a crazy move. Officially they are 'accepting applications for membership' but it's a bit remote.

I think to join Elm Park you have to become a tennis member or a social member first, and then apply for golf after.

Yea I forgot about the Dun Laoghaire move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daveontour30

Cheers folks - saw the Elm Park locale and house literally minutes away but membership looked like some sort of Masonic ritual. May need to try and see if some strings can be pulled as it would address social intro in one fell swoop. I'm a big fan of Carton House but it's over a hour away so looking for something more local.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Gym-wise the coverage isn't great to be honest in terms of the immediate vicinity. Nearest would probably be UCD, there is David Lloyd Riverview in Donnybrook (very expensive), Westwood in Dun laoghaire, and a good few in the Stillorgan industrial estate depending on what you are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bray, old canna, The castle , the grange , stackstown, powerscourt and all golf courses within 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

An Taisce's derelict bird reserve beside the railway station - worth a visit if only to see how not to look after a bird sanctuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's also Westwood in Sandymount and Killiney Gold Course in err Killiney as well.

Not sure if either are any good, but both easy to get to from Booterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Jealous... I lived in Booterstown for years and loved it there. Blackrock village has everything really and there's a big extension going into the Frascati Shopping Centre before Christmas. BEAR coffee in the village is top notch. Stillorgan shopping is reasonably close if driving. Mount Merrion Avenue has The Butlers Pantry & a little off-licence.

There are plenty of gyms in Sandyford/Stillorgan Industrial Estate. Westwood is a bit pricey but you have the option of using the one in Leopardstown or Sandymount.

Head out towards Monkstown for Avoca shop & restaurant,DART to Dun Laoghaire for walks, market on a Sunday etc. I'd love to move back there, stupid house prices pushed me out..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daveontour30

Good luck zzxx. Hope you make it back. First pint on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Gleesons is a bit sterile for me, like being in a hotel lobby, grand if you're with the other half for a quiet one or two, Blackrock at least has a few options, food in O'Rourkes is excellent, pints not bad either

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zzxx wrote: »
    Mount Merrion Avenue has The Butlers Pantry & a little off-licence.

McCabes off-licence on Mt. Merrion Ave. may not be as big as Tesco in Stillorgan or O'Briens in Beacon South Quarter but they have a very impressive variety of wines on offer - no surprise given that it's slap bang in the middle of a very affluent area.

https://goo.gl/maps/gqv5rWDvTCn

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

uch wrote: »
    Gleesons is a bit sterile for me, like being in a hotel lobby, grand if you're with the other half for a quiet one or two, Blackrock at least has a few options, food in O'Rourkes is excellent, pints not bad either
    It's not that bad, but quiet unless there's a rugby match on and the food is over-priced. The Merrion Inn is a nicer spot with better food and a short walk from Booterstown, preferable to O'Rourkes imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Union cafe is a very nice spot too, even just for a coffee. Nearby in Mount merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

The Gym in Leopardstown Racecourse is very good. The Radisson Blu St. Helen's is nice. A very small Michelin starred restaurant in Blackrock. M&S/shopping centre undergoing a revamp. Great location well placed for town & surrounding areas as has been said above. Has a nice local feel to it without being to nosey. Good luck with the move.

Advertisement