Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine subscriptions for kids

Options
  • 27-07-2017 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on some really good magazines / periodicals for kids? General science, arts, superhero comics all ideas welcome!

I know it's hard to get them to read in this day and age of tablets and consoles etc, but I really want to give them a chance. We have a pile of books that my kids have already been thru, and we are also picking up books from local library. There's a lot more there at the library to read, but I want to give them that experience of "eagerly waiting for next issue" :o

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

National Geographic have a kids magazine which covers alot each month in a fun way .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we used to get the National Geographic kids magazine, it is pretty in expensive and they loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Moonbeam wrote: »
    we used to get the National Geographic kids magazine, it is pretty in expensive and they loved it.

Its not too bad if you get the yearly subscription to Nat Geo or Nat Geo Kids, expensive in newsagents per issue though. When they get older then at least everyone can read the adult version of the magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

How old are they? I get my kids tucan boxes (crafts) and wait eagerly for the post man

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lego have a free magazine that gets sent out quarterly, always a big hit when it lands on the doorstep. No charge to join Lego Club and receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you are a library member you can download free magazines for children, and the rest of the family, onto your tablet. I know you want to get them away from the screen but it's handy to have access to. Magazines cost a fortune.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The Beano is a hot favourite in this house. Out weekly. Stocked in Aldi now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

don't know if they post outside the UK but The Phoenix Comic is a great weekly for 6 to 12 year olds

https://www.thephoenixcomic.co.uk/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Thank you all, some great suggestions here! I have signed up to free LEGO magazine, and will be subscribing NatGeo kids (4 & 6 year olds here). Looking for at least one more - going to review the suggestions in detail to decide. I am ideally looking for something like New Scientist / GK type content tuned for kids, wiith a good mix of fun comics and activities mixed in to keep the interest. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Its not too bad if you get the yearly subscription to Nat Geo or Nat Geo Kids, expensive in newsagents per issue though. When they get older then at least everyone can read the adult version of the magazine.

How did you order the Kids edition - I have been unable to order a subscription and my kids absolutely love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

positron wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on some really good magazines / periodicals for kids? General science, arts, superhero comics all ideas welcome!

I know it's hard to get them to read in this day and age of tablets and consoles etc, but I really want to give them a chance. We have a pile of books that my kids have already been thru, and we are also picking up books from local library. There's a lot more there at the library to read, but I want to give them that experience of "eagerly waiting for next issue" :o

Thanks!

Big Bang Comics in dundrum will post you comics and take payment over the phone. For example, a Superman comic that comes out fortnightly would be delivered for about €4ish.

Pinky123 wrote: »
    How did you order the Kids edition - I have been unable to order a subscription and my kids absolutely love it.

Same question here. NatGeo UK site says 'no offers for Ireland' and doesn't let me place the subscription, and I found this site 'International' site, that doesn't even have Ireland in country list! :(

https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/magazines/national-geographic-kids/national-geographic-kids-magazine-international-delivery

I could spoof it with real address + UK as country, but not sure if that would actually work. I wonder how Outkast_IRE got the subscription setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Might be worth asking the local library. Although there would probably be activities and stuff they couldn't draw in.

positron wrote: »
    Same question here. NatGeo UK site says 'no offers for Ireland' and doesn't let me place the subscription, and I found this site 'International' site, that doesn't even have Ireland in country list! :(

https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/magazines/national-geographic-kids/national-geographic-kids-magazine-international-delivery

I could spoof it with real address + UK as country, but not sure if that would actually work. I wonder how Outkast_IRE got the subscription setup?

Found it here

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/subscribe/magazines/

dursey,

Is that link / site original? Have you started getting magazines after ordering from there? It's a very good deals if real - €12 / €15 for NatGeo Kids and Little Kids respectively.

I signed up for both but got email confirmation for just the Little Kids one. Fingers crossed it's legitimate site. I will update in 4-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kilmore37

I also tried to order the Nat Geo Kids using the "National Geographic Kids Magazine Print Plus (International)" page (can't post the URL here because I'm a relatively new user and boards doesn't let me).

I tried both payment methods, PayPal and direct, and neither had Ireland as a country option. I used the "chat" feature on the product page and the customer service person realised it was a bug and said he would report it to the Web Team. He also said:

"You may also order by phone via our Magazine Divisions International ordering line at 813-979-6845.They will be open tomorrow from 9am-8pm EST."

I tried to order on a Sunday so I presume this means they are open Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The postage for the Nat Geographic kids is $40! Make it too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am looking at boosting tesco vouchers to get a year subscription to Nat geo kids. It’s only €18.25 in my vouchers ;)
    Would it be suitable for a 4 year old? Thanks a million

• Advertisement

Millem wrote:
    I am looking at boosting tesco vouchers to get a year subscription to Nat geo kids. It’s only €18.25 in my vouchers Would it be suitable for a 4 year old? Thanks a million

3-6 is the "little kids" version.

Millem wrote:
    I am looking at boosting tesco vouchers to get a year subscription to Nat geo kids. It’s only €18.25 in my vouchers Would it be suitable for a 4 year old? Thanks a million

3-6 is the "little kids" version.

Thanks I don’t know if my tesco vouchers work on little kids?

Millem wrote: »

I can't help you! Sorry.

There seems to be a real lack of goods kids mags in this space though, awful shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is there any Irish magazines in this market at all?
    I don't mean Irish language, just more of an Irish influence and flavour - like Irish nature, geography, topics, history etc...
    Not that my son is old enough for it yet, but I'd like to think there'd be something like this out there.
    Do you think there'd be a market for such a thing?

Have you considered any periodic subscription boxes? They come with a lot of things - including things to read so it is like a magazine subscription +

Two that spring to mind are -

1) the curiosity box from Vsauce https://www.curiositybox.com which is popular enough that you find many people doing unboxings of it on you tube which can give you an idea what is in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKvnKRHeFVM

2) And recently on Smarter Every Day he advertised a STEM box his own kids get from KiwiCo. If you watch the video here from 07:00 to 08:30 he talked about it and what is in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MtbfrCGRm8 and there is an unboxing of one of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW1KxU6ulQ0 and unlike the Curiosity Box from VSauce they have 3 or 4 different boxes depending on the target age group.

- but I am sure there are more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Millem wrote: »

They do.

I'm trying to order the national geo kuds but I cannot seem to pick Ireland as a delivery destination. I'm sure this is a user issue so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

yellow hen wrote:
    I'm trying to order the national geo kuds but I cannot seem to pick Ireland as a delivery destination. I'm sure this is a user issue so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing. Look back up the thread. They don't HAVE Ireland as a delivery option. Someone raised it with them before and they said they'd get on it. They're clearly not interested in a potentially huge Irish subscription base!!

Nothing. Look back up the thread. They don't HAVE Ireland as a delivery option. Someone raised it with them before and they said they'd get on it. They're clearly not interested in a potentially huge Irish subscription base!!

Oh no I boosted my tesco vouchers :(
    I haven’t heard anything yet

• Advertisement

Wow. Yet they deliver the regular national geo to Ireland?

Advertisement