Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified classic car insurance

Options
  • 27-07-2017 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an classic car at the moment. From what I can tell, getting insurance on an unmodified or even potentially a restored classic car is standard enough.

But, what is the story if you decided to start modifying a classic car. For example, if I bought an MGB GT and decided to tune the engine for a bit more power. Does this make a big difference to the insurance or would you get hammered for it?

What about doing an engine swap for an old Rover V8 into the MGB? Would the insurance make this type of modification impractical/impossible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I put a Toyota engine into my Spitfire, a 1332cc unit from a 96 Starlet. I wasn't after speed or performance really, just reliability. It took a while to get insurance! :-\ Couldnt find anyone in the south that'd take me on, as soon as I uttered the word 'engine conversion' it was a case of 'thanks, but no thanks'. In the end AutoLine Northern Ireland quoted me, and decently enough too.

Being an NI based company I think they are more open and experienced with modified classics and/or kit cars and genuinely interested unlike most of the insurers down this side! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Hi Spitfire,

Can you just clarify if you are living in the Republic and have Insurance issued in Northern Ireland to a Southern address, thanks?

btw always liked the lines of the Spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Spitfire,

Can you just clarify if you are living in the Republic and have Insurance issued in Northern Ireland to a Southern address, thanks?

Down south, Carlow.

If you take a look in the projects & builds sections here in boards you can see my car under the title 'Spitfire Total Rebuild' :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Hi Spitfire,

Down south, Carlow.

If you take a look in the projects & builds sections here in boards you can see my car under the title 'Spitfire Total Rebuild' :-)
    Hi there Spitfire the fourth :)
    I had a look at your 'Spitfire Total Rebuild' thread, very interesting! However, would it be possible for you to update your Photobucket account so we can see all the photos you have linked as well? 
    Thank you very much in advance!

PS. I'm in Carlow as well...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon getting cover is certainly possible. Engine swaps aren't that unusual on classics - V8's into MGB's, Cosworth or Millinton engines into Fords are all fairly common place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement