Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating electrical cables in old house

Options
  • 27-07-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I recently purchased a house that was probably build in the 30's. A modern circuit board has been installed at some point, but there seem to be a couple of differently coloured wiring circuits in the house. The oldest part of the house has a circuit with the following colours:

Red - Live
    Black - Neutral
    Bare - Earth

In an extension (from the 90's I think), the wiring going to an electric Trition shower switch has Blue, Black and bare cables. Some of the light switches just have 2 Black cables with a layer of red plastic insulation underneath the black layer.

Would anyone know when these colour schemes date from? Should I be thinking about a rewire of the house?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

kevmoroney wrote: »
    Should I be thinking about a rewire of the house?
    Very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

kevmoroney wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently purchased a house that was probably build in the 30's. A modern circuit board has been installed at some point, but there seem to be a couple of differently coloured wiring circuits in the house. The oldest part of the house has a circuit with the following colours:

Red - Live
    Black - Neutral
    Bare - Earth

In an extension (from the 90's I think), the wiring going to an electric Trition shower switch has Blue, Black and bare cables. Some of the light switches just have 2 Black cables with a layer of red plastic insulation underneath the black layer.

Would anyone know when these colour schemes date from? Should I be thinking about a rewire of the house?

Thanks,
    Kevin

The oldest part sounds like it definitely needs rewiring. The black wires at the light switches sound like old rubber cables and definitely need to be replaced and if you are doing all that you may as well do the extension as the lifting of floor boards etc will already be done wiring the old parts of the house.

Advertisement