Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home birth in Donegal

Options
  • 27-07-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi hope there is someone that can help with information. Sorry about long post. Thank you for any help.

We recently moved to Donegal with our 3 kids. For many reasons i have been looking into a home birth, preferably a water birth.

My last pregnancy I had serious anxiety and panic attacks as my labour before that was super fast. And because I had gallstones and pancreatitis which I didn't know about on my 3rd I was thinking I was going into labour constantly.

Also on my last labour I had problem with epidural and had some nerve damage which I do not want to get this time so thinking at home water birth is my best option.

I think a home birth would be less stressful as we are abit away from the hospital and he does not drive either. I am currently 16 weeks and want the last trimester to be as stress free as possible this time.

My problem is I live in Donegal not to far over the derry boarder there does not seem to be a way to get a midwife here , I have realised my options are quite limited.

Should I just give up and try to forget about the idea does anyone have any experience in looking into this as I feel unless I temporally move house for s month (which we can't do) that I'm all out of options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Contact Private Midwives Ireland - 1800 937 119

They will give you the best info they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Unfortunately they said I'd need to move to the Midlands if I want any help with them.

I've just spoken to a gentlebirth instructor friend of mine in Donegal and she said there are no homebirth options in Donegal at all unfortunately.

I seem to just be hitting dead ends myself think I was hoping someone here had a new magic answer for me, something I was missing.

She said your only options were going to the North or somewhere else in Ireland for the few weeks before the birth and availing of private midwife services that way. It's such a pity that it's not an option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Hey pet congrats firstly no home births in Donegal as I'm aware of but if you want to pm me I can put u in contact with an amazing doula here in Donegal

My first 3 i never even looked i to it and was living in Dublin. It's just my luck the one time I do i can't. Thanks so much for reply

vanessamee wrote: »
    Hey pet congrats firstly no home births in Donegal as I'm aware of but if you want to pm me I can put u in contact with an amazing doula here in Donegal

Just recently been hearing about doulas don't know to much about them but thank you I will pm u now.

Doulas are a fantastic resource during birth, whichever way you choose to birth.

Advertisement