Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garages that sell affordable "runabouts"

Options
  • 27-07-2017 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a car (possibly!) and will be shopping at the near basement level for insurance purposes apart from the garage just by the Infirmary Apartments/Johns Street junction are there are other places in town that stock cheapish 8-12 year old vehicles?

Any help appreciated as I'm quite out of the loop on this sort of thing.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

John Walsh on the green road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭goochy

motorsense ferrybank - its run by a Dub - my Dad bought car from him about 20 years ago in Dublin when we lived there.
    good car and he looked after us. Remember my dad saying hes too nice for a used car dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

goochy wrote:
    motorsense ferrybank - its run by a Dub - my Dad bought car from him about 20 years ago in Dublin when we lived there. good car and he looked after us. Remember my dad saying hes too nice for a used car dealer

Is that the place beside the briar rose. Didn't look but mean to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

You'd be better buying private at that price point. Research the car you might want e.g. Opel could corsa, find out its weaknesses and what to look out for. Examine it and get a mechanic to give it a look over if you can. Any honest seller won't mind the scrutiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thanks for the feedback. Dealer V private is an issue for a 3 grand car, I'd like 3 months engine, transmission cover which a garage will usually provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for the feedback. Dealer V private is an issue for a 3 grand car, I'd like 3 months engine, transmission cover which a garage will usually provide.

Often not worth the paper it's written on harry- especially if it's a lemon. Lookout for a cherished private seller

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I can put you in touch with a guy who has recently started selling used cars, he does it as a side gig at the minute. I work with him in our full time jobs, let me know if you like here or pm (or even in the SF ;))

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Yes don't bother with a dealer for small money

Buy privately and have mechanic or AA check car.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll find the three months limited warranty will not cover anything that usually goes wrong.

Added to that, ensure you check insurance costs before you buy it, as insurance costs could be the reason it was traded in!

the_syco wrote: »
    Added to that, ensure you check insurance costs before you buy it, as insurance costs could be the reason it was traded in!

Oh don't worry on that score, I've been using a broker to get prices for a few cars in the market segment I'm looking at so I already know the outlay :eek:

My ideal (ha!) car right now is a 2008 Opel Corsa 1.3 cdti turbo diesel, cheap to tax, sips fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭goochy

I have a combo van with that engine . Not that economical and needs very regular oil changes or big trouble .
    Good luck finding a small 2008 diesel car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I have a grand little 2003,Seat Leon 1.4 petrol for handy money. Essentially a golf.
    It's a little flyer and does 35mpg on short journeys.
    PM me if you like......

Thanks for the offer but engine too big for tax purposes ( the old capacity system) and probably to old for insurance purposes as crazy as that sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for the offer but engine too big for tax purposes ( the old capacity system) and probably to old for insurance purposes as crazy as that sounds

But also likely to be far cheaper in possible repairs- modern diesels from mid 2000s onwards have been very poor in this regard especially if not serviced religiously (which is less likely as they age), also very particular in relation to oil changes/grades.
    If I were you I'd be looking at a cheaper, reliable small petrol car like a Civic, Jazz or even Clio which has been well minded. Likely to be just as economical as a small diesel medium term.

Advertisement