Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to get paid for the summer?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've just been offered a position in a school for the whole of next year. It's 18 hours a week as a non-casual substitute teacher while someone is out for the year. I will also probably get general subbing on top of that. I'm presuming I won't be entitled to get paid for next summer but I just thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi there,

I've just been offered a position in a school for the whole of next year. It's 18 hours a week as a non-casual substitute teacher while someone is out for the year. I will also probably get general subbing on top of that. I'm presuming I won't be entitled to get paid for next summer but I just thought I'd ask.

If you have a fixed term contract from September 1st 2017 to 31st August, I can't see what you wouldn't. If it's a maternity leave with parental leave you won't as that is subbing. Have a look here http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/what-contract-do-you-have/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Do you know why they're out? If it's career break then you'll be paid. Have you seen your contract yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The wording of substitute would lead me to believe you only get paid for what you work. Its best to ask exactly what the terms of your employment are

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

TheDriver wrote: »
    The wording of substitute would lead me to believe you only get paid for what you work. Its best to ask exactly what the terms of your employment are

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I haven't seen the contract yet. Probably in the next couple of weeks. I don't know what the person I'm replacing is out for. I just know it's 18 hours a week for the year.

Advertisement