Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer stalkers- is there anyone willing to supply me will regular culled deer this sea

• 27-07-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if there's men out there looking for someone to sell wild deer in skin this coming rut. Would love to get all hunters lined up for this shooting season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

mandeer101 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there's men out there looking for someone to sell wild deer in skin this coming rut. Would love to get all hunters lined up for this shooting season.

What about women? can women sell you deer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

mandeer101 wrote: »

WTF are you on about? Are you a licenced game dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Do not mean to 'moderate' here but educate.

It is illegal to sell dear onto a second party unless you are registered.

For hunters that means a FSAI recognized qualification and restricts you the hunter to selling on deer carcasses field dressed and hide on only to licenced game dealers.

For the prospective entrepreneurs hoping to buy said deer they in turn must be a licenced game dealer as registered with the FSAI. The game dealer is the licenced link from the hunter onto a butcher, food business etc. and as with some meat processors there may be a factory outlet for direct sale to the public.

I thought I would just point this out before someone unintentionally posts something that may be construed as illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mandeer101

think i got off on the wrong foot with a few people.
    I have facilities which have been passed by FSA for handling large wild game and I am simply asking if there are licenced hunters who are interested in legally supplying me with wild venison carcasses field dressed in skin this coming season.
    In a nutshell, I have the facilities and license to do it but am afraid of wholeheartedly jumping in without having any guidance or expertise. 
    Hope i don't offend anyone this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I don't think in all honesty you offended anyone, your question was vague and smacked slightly of either trolling or something that wasn't quite above board.

Without doing the whole dragons den thing are you sure of your market. A lot of the venison harvested here goes abroad, the demand for it here is really a niche market, this is reflected in the high street super market selves. You'll find that game dealers tend to be a part of a general meat supply business that can turn it's facilities to various commodities. I would presume you have done your research and market analysis so I won't tell you how to suck eggs but will give you my limited experience in the subject.

If you can build up a reliable group of individuals that can supply you with a consistent volume of animals then your on the pigs back. The game dealers I have dealt with say they need a regular supply of animals in order to obviously meet demand. Guys will go to you if you offer competitive prices (many dealers will grade by weight and shot placement - neck shot reds delivering a better price per kilo then say a high shoulder shot sika calf), ease & access of delivery (suitable opening times, location etc), good record system transparent price and weighing and most important prompt and accurate payment.

I accessed a few of game dealers via the internet but after dealing with some I stick exclusively with the one dealer due to their professionalism and location, regardless in fluctuations in prices as the season go's on. I'd say your going to have to get your name (business) out there and start dealing with guys on blind fate. Be careful of offering collection as you may drive to the other side of the country to pick up a van load of tea bags that where formally deer.

Selling game in this country is a bit of a Taboo, which to me is a joke, in England and Scotland there is a thriving industry supplying real wild game to a demanding market (regardless of market share) both feathered and fur. Germany as far as I know allows the Hunter to sell a small amount of his bounty directly to the market. So my point is that many lads like me who sell a few carcasses into the system may not be willing to be as open on the forum, so hopefully you will receive enquiries via PM's.

Sorry about the long winded and often rambling response but if you stick around the forum you'll get used to rambling, misdirection, confusion bolstered with a lot of interesting, insightful and knowledgeable post scripted by the inmates....Sorry ment members.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement