Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocklayer Price

Options
  • 27-07-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi. I'm just pricing blocklaying for a new build. 2800 square ft. A two storey rectangle joing to a single storey rectangle. Straight forward enough for block laying. There is also a standard garage.

Anybody have a rough estimate of what I should be expecting to pay for labour only ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Probably 250 - 300 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Ah jaysus you can't be serious. I'll have to go back on the trowel so. Is the boom really that back. Half it I'd say.

bfclancy wrote: »
    Ah jaysus you can't be serious. I'll have to go back on the trowel so. Is the boom really that back. Half it I'd say.

My dad works in construction management, so I got that figure from the horses mouth.

I was on a job with him 2 years ago, and they struggled to get someone as they were out the door. The price was 250 pair day, my dad's company provided materials and a laborer.

It's the same with plumbers and electritions. They are out the door with work, and let's be honest, of you can charge that amount you are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

It's actually not a million miles from that looking at quotes. It's working out at around 1200 a week per man. Not cheap !

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Thank god I'm doing a timber and can put on the outer skin of blocks myself. That's crazy wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

Where abouts is that? Must be city centre. Any one I no isn't getting anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭enricoh

Had lads here in meath e360 a day for 2 brickies n 1 labourer. They brought mixer n trowel n thats it.I thought they were selling themselves a bit short but no way would I pay 200+ a day for one.

Where abouts is that? Must be city centre. Any one I no isn't getting anywhere near that.

Yea dublin city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

enricoh wrote:
    Had lads here in meath e360 a day for 2 brickies n 1 labourer. They brought mixer n trowel n thats it.I thought they were selling themselves a bit short but no way would I pay 200+ a day for one.

Did they give you a vat receipt or were the 3 of them on the dole?
    200 to 300 per day for a good bricklayer is the norm for a self employed brick layer, insured and paying taxes. Sounds a lot but between vat and tax he'll only come home with around 35 percent of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Did they give you a vat receipt or were the 3 of them on the dole?
    200 to 300 per day for a good bricklayer is the norm for a self employed brick layer, insured and paying taxes. Sounds a lot but between vat and tax he'll only come home with around 35 percent of that

A vat receipt was of no use to me, probably would just add to the price. The same bricky and labourer built my sisters house and definitely not on dole. As for the other bricky I dunno, didnt cop him skiving off to sign on anyway!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote:
    A vat receipt was of no use to me, probably would just add to the price. The same bricky and labourer built my sisters house and definitely not on dole. As for the other bricky I dunno, didnt cop him skiving off to sign on anyway!

That's my point. There's no point coming on quoting "cash" prices. It's illegal in the real world, we're not supposed to talk about them on boards & only confuses things for op.
    OP asked what the going rate was. You obviously did not pay the going rate. I was highlighting things for op

Do most blocklayers give a price for the whole job or price per block.? No way I'd have some one in on day work for a big job like that.

Do most blocklayers give a price for the whole job or price per block.? No way I'd have some one in on day work for a big job like that.

A lot of the fast guys quote per block

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bim bam

We always price per Block for houses we also charge per linear meter for lintils and window cills..A good Brick/Blocklayer will price from construction drawings from Finished floor up and include Blockwork Dpcs wall Insulation ties and closures around openings,cills lintils Flashings if necessary and filling the chimney/chimneys.
    He will also supply necessary scaffold and mixer to complete his work.
    The price of the block is rising thank god because it was poor long enough.Materials have been on the rise all the time .

The only way you get a blocklayer to build your house on dayrate is if he is related or a friend or if ye agree "X" amount of blocks to be laid per day.

Dayrate for Blocklayers is above €200 at present and higher in Dublin.

bim bam wrote: »

Dayrate for Blocklayers is above €200 at present and higher in Dublin.

And companies our desperate for them, and plumbers.

Hopefully apprenticeships start happening here again in droves. Great money to be made in a trade.

Advertisement