Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview and job readvertised

Options
  • 27-07-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently interviewed for a role within my Org and didn't get it.

I was happy enough with my interview, but if truth be told it get a little soft and ended up focusing on past roles and how I felt working in different Org's, than it did actually focusing on the competencies required or experience related to the role.

Anyway I was happy with my interview performance, despite my concerns about the interview.
    It is a role for which I am qualified, and experienced with a proven track record.
    But

Long story short a week after the interview, I got a call saying it was a no.
    Interviews can be a roll of the dice, and i understand not being a fit for the role offered.
    Not too put off by that and the HR rep confirmed that she and the interviewing manager would meet me for feedback after their holidays.
    The role was then withdrawn as no suitable candidate found.

Now what bothers me is that while both the hiring managers are away the job has been readvertised?
    I would have appreciated my interview feedback and an outline of what aspects I could improve or address, not just for the role advertised but for my future interview performance.

The immediate readvertising of the role, with none of that given and no manager available to actually review applications, I feel reflects very poorly on how others in my org will perceive my competence in the future.
    Am I being oversensitive?
    I feel the manner in which this was handled is disrespectful in the extreme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sorry you didn't get the job.

Hiring external candidates is often a very lengthy process. You have to review applications, organise an interview or often multiple interviews per candidate, select a candidate, they have to work out their notice period, etc etc. I don't want to sound harsh but the role still needs to be filled and imo it's not feasible for them to wait a suitable period of time, such that you don't feel disrespected, to readvertise the position. The hiring managers might be away but CVs will start coming in and they will have a few to review when they come back from holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

They're obviously having problems finding the right candidate so it makes sense to advertise now so that interviews can be scheduled as soon as the manager gets back from holiday. You'll be given feedback when a manager is available.

Company isn't doing anything wrong imo, good luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Recruitment is a long process. Even when the ideal candidate is found in the first batch of interviews the timeframe from approval to recruit to filling a post can be 8 weeks plus. If the role is critical that is a long time to wait, and if the role is proving difficult then every effort needs to be made to find candidates. This includes re advertising as soon as the decision that a suitable candidate was not found from the first set of interviews is made.

Your company isn't doing it to make you feel devalued, or to spread the message that you are not competent, they are simply trying to ensure a fresh pool of candidates are ready and waiting for the hiring manager to review.

Don't take it to heart, its just the process. Its easy to get a bit despondant when you are passed over but it really isnt personal. Unfortunately it can seem a bit harsh when things are done quickly, but its just about the process and keeping recruitment as efficiant as posssible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Peturbed wrote: »
    Am I being oversensitive?

A bit. If you posted (Unlikely I know) on your Facebook page you'd be told a different story, but going by what you said here the company is doing what needs to be done.

They didn't feel you were the right candidate for this role, and waiting until you received detailed feedback doesn't impact on the hiring process.

When you do get the feedback try and see what can be changed and improved on for the next time. And don't think of it as a second opportunity to interview for the role you missed out on.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

You can apply again. Get your feedback and try improve your interview

• Advertisement
Advertisement