Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goalkeeper strategy

• 27-07-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭

Was interested to hear others thoughts on this. When I started playing I always picked 2 from the same club usually one of the top 4. I then moved onto a Top keeper like Cech/De Gea with a playing cheapie. Last season I went with 2 playing cheapies, mainly Heaton and one of Foster/Jaku/Pickford. I found the last option the best but also most frustrating(mainly when I benched Heaton!) 

So what are peoples plans?

What GK combo is best? 49 votes

Top GK with 2nd GK from same club
    0% 0 votes
    Top GK with playing cheapie as sub
    14% 7 votes
    2 playing cheap GK
    20% 10 votes
    Other (let us know!)
    65% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Was interested to hear others thoughts on this. When I started playing I always picked 2 from the same club usually one of the top 4. I then moved onto a Top keeper like Cech/De Gea with a playing cheapie. Last season I went with 2 playing cheapies, mainly Heaton and one of Foster/Jaku/Pickford. I found the last option the best but also most frustrating(mainly when I benched Heaton!) 

So what are peoples plans?

Probably Foster(Myhill) for me. I know I can have Elliott instead of Myhill but to be honest I don't want the headache of which to choose when it's a close call! Might then look to change to Fabianski (Nordfeldt), or some other cheap same club combo, once WBA fixtures become more difficult

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

At the moment it's Foster/Myhill, but it seems as though Elliot is first choice at Newcastle.
    Will settle on Foster/Elliot if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Percentage of clean sheets at home was 61% last season making a cheap combo that rotates home and away ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

£4.5m plug in and play option with bench fodder taking up the other slot, ideally the second choice from the same club.

Expensive goalkeepers aren't worth it IMO as you are better off selecting a defender for goal/assist potential and rotation is just not worth the hassle as you get situations like last season when Jakupovic saved a penalty away to Southampton while Foster conceded at home to Leicester. I know that's probably a bad example as the latter was £4.0m but you know what I mean.

Given prices this season, the extra £0.5m between going for a £4.0m and £4.5m sub keeper may be too great.

Foster and Myhill at the moment for me but I will switch Myhill to Elliot if it looks like he's #1 but will only rotate in obvious circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

I've never really had a set strategy and varied between 2 cheapies rotating and a De Gea/Courtois/Cech type with a 4.0.

I tend to WC early each season so looking at a Forster/Elliott combo for the first 6 weeks (the max time I'll go before using my WC)

I'm not a fan of the Foster/Myhill combo at all tbh. WBA only kept 6 CS last season and their keepers only got 113 points - 3 per game - which is quite low. As an example, my keepers got me 152 points last season, and I was a bit disappointed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Considering Elliot and another 4.0

I'm not a fan of rotating goalkeepers at all as you will miss out on big hauls. If Elliot starts and keeps his place he'a got just as much chance of any keeper outside top 6/7 of good overall score. Worth the risk to free up funds for outfield i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

West Brom were very disappointing last season but I think that was the exception rather than the norm. I expect better this season and as Mr P has said before, Pulisball is a capricious, unpredictable thing. So Foster/Myhill to start for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

F1ngers wrote: »
    At the moment it's Foster/Myhill, but it seems as though Elliot is first choice at Newcastle.
    Will settle on Foster/Elliot if that's the case.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Going De Gea & Elliot.

De Gea is a cheap way into Uniteds defence and they've nice fixtures to start with so fingers crossed for a few CS. Elliott as a 4.0 cheapie, bonus is that he starts

Seasons not starting for two weeks so this may inevitably change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Going with the 2 cheapie GK at the min. Foster/Elliott so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Going De Gea & Elliot.

De Gea is a cheap way into Uniteds defence and they've nice fixtures to start with so fingers crossed for a few CS. Elliott as a 4.0 cheapie, bonus is that he starts

Seasons not starting for two weeks so this may inevitably change
    Going with the 2 cheapie GK at the min. Foster/Elliott so far

I've scratched my original idea of DDG & Eliott and latest drafts have had Foster/Eliott. I have Bailly in for United cover, may switch to Jones but wary of rotation risk. Bailly tends to get nice BPS so probably a better way into United defence than DDG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Spelliott ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've scratched my original idea of DDG & Eliott and latest drafts have had Foster/Eliott. I have Bailly in for United cover, may switch to Jones but wary of rotation risk. Bailly tends to get nice BPS so probably a better way into United defence than DDG

I've done the same
    Mulling over Valencia too as Bailly and Jones have zero attacking threat
    I'll probably end up on Bailly

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Foster burned me so many times last year by conceding with 10-20 mins left in a match. I will be avoiding him like the plague this year.

I currently have Fabianski/Elliot but this will more than likely change before the deadline.

carnie wrote: »
    Foster burned me so many times last year by conceding with 10-20 mins left in a match. I will be avoiding him like the plague this year.

I currently have Fabianski/Elliot but this will more than likely change before the deadline.

And he gets injured . A lot

I think he played the majority of last year

carnie wrote: »
    I think he played the majority of last year

Indeed and they kept damn all clean sheets
    Maybe he is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Hart for me
    Sub is Begovic