Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting to Students?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Have a box room that I'm thinking about renting to a Student. Any advice?

Room is small so unlikely a professional would take it. Location is good for transport to Dublin City and UCD. Would have a quite space too seperate to the room that could be used for study etc.

Do most students look for Digs type arrangements with Meals etc? (wouldnt really be around to cook for someone that often)

What would they expect included/not included etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chump123

Ronney wrote: »
    Have a box room that I'm thinking about renting to a Student. Any advice?

Room is small so unlikely a professional would take it. Location is good for transport to Dublin City and UCD. Would have a quite space too seperate to the room that could be used for study etc.

Do most students look for Digs type arrangements with Meals etc? (wouldnt really be around to cook for someone that often)

What would they expect included/not included etc.
    I would rent that room off you! I will expect nothing but the use of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If location is good, and you don't mind them using your kitchen, I'd say you should be grand. Heck, you could advertise to "no first years" to ensure they know how to use a cooker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Have instructions for everything! I mean everything.

Had one student who regularly locked himself out because he would turn the key twice ( deadbolt) on the way out. But only twist it once when he got back.

I was too embarrassed to point this out...so I had to pretend to check his key worked in the door while showing him how to use a door lock!

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

See if you can get like a phd student or something rather than a younger student. Their lifestyle is much closer to the lifestyle of a professional and your life will be much easier for it.

awec wrote: »
    See if you can get like a phd student or something rather than a younger student. Their lifestyle is much closer to the lifestyle of a professional and your life will be much easier for it.
    This. They'll also like the peace and quite that your place would offer, as well as be able to take care of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I personally would prefer a younger student that is more likely to go home at weekends! No matter who you decide to let to make sure to cover ground rules about visitors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks for the replys,

I agree with what you sat re PHD student but it really is a box room Bed, wardrobe and not room for much else.

What sort of rules would be typical?

(Obviously dont want half the SU in for Pre Drinking!)

I'm a professional, 30 and gone 7-7 most days. Dont spend much time in at the weekends either apart from the odd Friday night on the couch or Sunday watching sport.

I agree with what you sat re PHD student but it really is a box room Bed, wardrobe and not room for much else.
    If the location is as good as you say it is, it would suit a PHD student that needs a cheap place Monday-Friday. You being 30, the student may be around your age.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are things so bad in Ireland that PhD students would really be willing to take a box room?

Are things so bad in Ireland that PhD students would really be willing to take a box room?

PhD students will earn a max of 1500 net a month so with a double room costing anything from 500 to 700 euro (excluding bills) in popular parts of Dublin I don't see why they wouldn't, I bet plenty of working people would take it.

Even back when there was no shortage of housing there was never a problem renting the box room in places I shared in, it was actually working professionals who took it more often than not and this wasn't Dublin and rent for the box room wasn't much less than the master bedroom (say 330 per month for the main bedroom 270 for the box room).

• Advertisement

PhD students will earn a max of 1500 net a month so with a double room costing anything from 500 to 700 euro (excluding bills) in popular parts of Dublin I don't see why they wouldn't, I bet plenty of working people would take it.

Even back when there was no shortage of housing there was never a problem renting the box room in places I shared in, it was actually working professionals who took it more often than not and this wasn't Dublin and rent for the box room wasn't much less than the master bedroom (say 330 per month for the main bedroom 270 for the box room).
    Jesus.. you'd have to be mad to do a PhD in Ireland so

Jesus.. you'd have to be mad to do a PhD in Ireland so

You won't find many places where its better and its also worse in many countries.

Places like Switzerland where there is a very high cost of living will have much higher stipends but somewhere like Italy you would be lucky to get 1k a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Chump123 wrote: »
    I would rent that room off you! I will expect nothing but the use of the kitchen.

No toilet or bathroom use?

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks for the replys,

What sort of rules would be typical?

(Obviously dont want half the SU in for Pre Drinking!)

I'm a professional, 30 and gone 7-7 most days. Dont spend much time in at the weekends either apart from the odd Friday night on the couch or Sunday watching sport.

No harm in advertising for phd students first to see what happens.

The risk with younger students is mess and the party lifestyle. Arriving home in the early hours hammered and having very loud coitus.

You won't find many places where its better and its also worse in many countries.

Places like Switzerland where there is a very high cost of living will have much higher stipends but somewhere like Italy you would be lucky to get 1k a month.

Well, I'm doing one myself and I can afford confortably to rent my own apartment, Germany and the Nerherlands too also everyone I know rents their own place

To be honest, I dont understand why the OP has ruled out professionals because things have gotten so bad that even a professional would accept a box room if its near where they need to be and its not going to cost the earth.

People who arent renting underestimate how bad the rental market is at the moment.

Well, I'm doing one myself and I can afford confortably to rent my own apartment, Germany and the Nerherlands too also everyone I know rents their own place

I don't even know that many people working on good salaries who rent alone, most houseshare, share with a partner or live at home. Of course this is excluding those who own their own place.

I reckon the op will have no problem finding someone who is working to rent the room.

I don't even know that many people working on good salaries who rent alone, most houseshare, share with a partner or live at home. Of course this is excluding those who own their own place.

I reckon the op will have no problem finding someone who is working to rent the room.

Just incase it's not clear, I don't live in Ireland, which is why I'm a bit disappointed at how bad the standard of living for a PhD in ireland is

I think the average is around €16,500 a year, so cheap n cheerful south of Dublin may suit someone.
    Location is good for transport to Dublin City and UCD.
    This would also cut down on the amount needed to pay for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would says it is probably more due to the rental market being more sane in Germany compared to Ireland, rather that PhD students being treated better there (I know the German property market is also on the rise, but to my knowledge not like Dublin's madness ... it's not just PhD students who have problems with housing here, if you're on a graduate level salary, a bedroom in a reasonably located and reasonably comfortable apartment could easily eat-up half of your after-tax income.

• Advertisement

I'm a PhD student in Dublin, I know of students paying more than half their monthly income just to rent a room. Nearly everyone I know doing a PhD from Dublin still lives at home.

You'll have no problem finding a PhD student to rent to OP, I don't know where in Dublin you're based but if you're near any particular universities have a look and see if they have a noticeboard on their website for accommodation ads, my uni's noticeboard frequently has posts from PhD students looking for accommodation.

I'm a PhD student in Dublin, I know of students paying more than half their monthly income just to rent a room. Nearly everyone I know doing a PhD from Dublin still lives at home.

You'll have no problem finding a PhD student to rent to OP, I don't know where in Dublin you're based but if you're near any particular universities have a look and see if they have a noticeboard on their website for accommodation ads, my uni's noticeboard frequently has posts from PhD students looking for accommodation.

that's pretty sad to read, if you have any sense try to find a PhD in central europe and quit your Irish one

that's pretty sad to read, if you have any sense try to find a PhD in central europe and quit your Irish one

That hardly makes sense if you are even 6 months into it. Upping everything and starting again in a new county, waking away on your funding probably buring bridges for the future, new language, all the costs of moving, the person may not want to leave Ireland etc etc. Sharing a house sounds easier and living at home is definitely much better (I'd love to have done mine close enough to home to live there).

I also think you are in the minority in being such a comfortable situation as I know plenty who did PhDs around Europe and they had as much or more of a struggle compared to those here.

Lol that's a pretty crazy suggestion as nox said, there's plenty of reasons why someone would choose to do their PhD here rather than abroad. My friends who live at home aren't particularly unhappy either, they at least are able to save a good chunk of money each month.

I have less than a year left so I definitely won't be quitting! I am looking to emigrate once I'm finished but I don't regret doing my PhD here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Marcusm wrote: »
    No toilet or bathroom use?

That can happen in the Kitchen...

That hardly makes sense if you are even 6 months into it. Upping everything and starting again in a new county, waking away on your funding probably buring bridges for the future, new language, all the costs of moving, the person may not want to leave Ireland etc etc. Sharing a house sounds easier and living at home is definitely much better (I'd love to have done mine close enough to home to live there).

I also think you are in the minority in being such a comfortable situation as I know plenty who did PhDs around Europe and they had as much or more of a struggle compared to those here.
    It makes perfect financial sense, and maybe depending on what you want to do afterwards, career sense, as you will probably have to move abroad anyway if you wish to continue in acadaemia, you might as well get a good standard of life from it.

Really, where did they do them? As I said before everyone I know from Germany, Netherlands, Austria lives alone with a high standard of living, maybe if you go to eastern or southern european countries but I don't think those are the systems ireland should be comparing itself to.

Advertisement