Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compulsory 1st registration with land registry, 3 years?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone had to go through compulsory first registration (converting to freehold) with the land registry? I being advised this process can take up to 3 years which seems mad. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone had to go through compulsory first registration (converting to freehold) with the land registry? I being advised this process can take up to 3 years which seems mad. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
    I had one a few years ago where freehold property had only deeds and had never been registered in the land registry before. It took 9 months from application for the folios to come out. Solicitor at the time said to expect 12 months.
    Now if you are talking about conversion from leasehold to freehold then your best bet is to enquire with a conveyancing solicitor or directly by calling the land registry (they do answer the phone which is great)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

GGTrek wrote: »
    I had one a few years ago where freehold property had only deeds and had never been registered in the land registry before. It took 9 months from application for the folios to come out. Solicitor at the time said to expect 12 months.
    Now if you are talking about conversion from leasehold to freehold then your best bet is to enquire with a conveyancing solicitor or directly by calling the land registry (they do answer the phone which is great)

Thanks, I bought a property that has never been registered. Solicitor states that compulsory first registration to convert to freehold can take up to 3 years. If I search the property on the land registry site, its shows no red border and when I click on it, it says it's not registered. I bought the property 6 months ago, does this seem normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks, I bought a property that has never been registered. Solicitor states that compulsory first registration to convert to freehold can take up to 3 years. If I search the property on the land registry site, its shows no red border and when I click on it, it says it's not registered. I bought the property 6 months ago, does this seem normal?

It can take the solicitor months to getting around to submitting the paperwork. After that there can be queries raised while the Land Registry is examining the title. It will always take months and can stretch into years in some cases. What you can do is check to see there is a dealing pending. At least you will know that the process has started.

Advertisement