Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time to a dublin Gp, asked for money to get test results, is it ok?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Yesterday my gp called me," could you please come over to review your blood test results, nothing to be worried about ", I say ok
    Today @ the visit she said " you are ok, just a low level of vitamin D,.. I say ok and, she writes down a prescription for some integrators.. End of the story the secretary gives me a receipt : 40€; so I didn't get the prescription and left the building , I ve already paid 65 for the first visit and 45 for the blood test I mean other
    40€ for an outloud reading of my vitamin D levels, is it normal? is it the same with your GP? Let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wouldn't be uncommon - it has taken time for them to interpret the results.

€65 is dear for an initial visit and €45 dear for a blood test; so I'd advise changing GP anyway. You should be able to find €50+€20 for those easily and maybe €30 for the followup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That is an unscrupulous rip off.I had a full check up with my GP recently including a blood test and an ECG,total cost €70.I got my ECG result before I left the surgery and the nurse rang me with my blood test results a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Haha - I know the GP just by the charging structure. He's still unbelievably busy. Nice to have a business so central I suppose!

That's perfectly normal for him, perhaps not so if you hopped on the DART or LUAS for ten minutes. In fact out in North Dublin Beaumont do the blood tests for free and send the info back to the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

Swaqswaq wrote: »
    Yesterday my gp called me," could you please come over to review your blood test results, nothing to be worried about ", I say ok
    Today @ the visit she said " you are ok, just a low level of vitamin D,.. I say ok and, she writes down a prescription for some integrators.. End of the story the secretary gives me a receipt : 40€; so I didn't get the prescription and left the building , I ve already paid 65 for the first visit and 45 for the blood test I mean other
    40€ for an outloud reading of my vitamin D levels, is it normal? is it the same with your GP? Let me know!

The follow up should be free and it has always been whenever I go to a doctor but it really all depends on how serious this is - they would usually only call you back in if there was something actually wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Results should be free and tests around 30 - hospital will do test for free but you could be waiting all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Yep change your GP as there are other ones who wont charge you to read out results but the other prices aren't outside the norm of what I've experienced in Dublin.

Advertisement