Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Qualified - Where am I on the Incremental Scale?

Options
  • 27-07-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I've just qualified in May and I'm going to be covering maternity leave in a school from September onwards (my first job). I'm just curious about the incremental scale. As a newly qualified teacher, do I start on point 1 of the scale and move up a point each year that I work? Is that how it works? Is there any way to gain increments other than working an entire school year? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

HeyMaaaan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just qualified in May and I'm going to be covering maternity leave in a school from September onwards (my first job). I'm just curious about the incremental scale. As a newly qualified teacher, do I start on point 1 of the scale and move up a point each year that I work? Is that how it works? Is there any way to gain increments other than working an entire school year? Thanks.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi all,

Is there any way to gain increments other than working an entire school year?

Not really. Not unless you've done some work beforehand that they would accept instead of teaching experience. Other than that you start at the bottom and go up every year (except when the Department freezes increments).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

dory wrote: »
    Not really. Not unless you've done some work beforehand that they would accept instead of teaching experience. Other than that you start at the bottom and go up every year (except when the Department freezes increments).

What exactly does it mean for me when increments are frozen? I qualified last year and I've worked over 600 hours in a school year so I should be able to move from increment point 1 to point 2 on the scale this year. However I've heard that there was an incremental freeze last year so what would that mean for me? Sorry, I just find this stuff quite confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

What exactly does it mean for me when increments are frozen? I qualified last year and I've worked over 600 hours in a school year so I should be able to move from increment point 1 to point 2 on the scale this year. However I've heard that there was an incremental freeze last year so what would that mean for me? Sorry, I just find this stuff quite confusing.

Increments were frozen for Asti members during the dispute last year, but as of June this was lifted.
    You will move up one point on the scale in September as you have completed over 600 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi all,

No there are no shortcuts. Increments are awarded for service. Prepare to be in it for the long haul to get to the top of the scale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement