Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 - Dublin to Derry upgrade (Republic of Ireland section)

• 27-07-2017 9:56pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that the A5 in the North is going ahead, this thread can be used for a discussion of how the A5 dual carraigeway will connect with a improve road, either the N2 or something else.

Reports today that the N2 is to be dualled from Ardee to Castleblaney

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/07/27/n2-dual-carraigeway-plans-funding-welcomed/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Much of this route is wide and could be converted to 2+2 with a modest increase in width, where there is grass verges at present.
    It is a pity that the likes of this flyover on the Carrickmacross bypass was not made a metre or two wider when it was built, there was plenty of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    Given that the A5 in the North is going ahead, this thread can be used for a discussion of how the A5 dual carraigeway will connect with a improve road, either the N2 or something else.

Reports today that the N2 is to be dualled from Ardee to Castleblaney

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/07/27/n2-dual-carraigeway-plans-funding-welcomed/

I'm not very familiar at all with most of the N2, but wasn't a lot/nearly all of it upgraded to wide single carriageway over the past decades? Seems mad the way we have the M1, N/M2 and N3/M3 all running almost parallel to one another...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I wouldn't say these roads are running parallel with one another!

I drive this road most days - and I find it pretty scary. The section of the N2 between Monaghan Town and Catleblaney is decent - so I'll be delighted if they improve the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

It's pity they couldn't do the same with the N33 at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

In general for most people going to Dublin from Derry/Tyrone/Monaghan would they go Ardee M1 Dublin or continue in to ardee up the N2 to Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

road_high wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar at all with most of the N2, but wasn't a lot/nearly all of it upgraded to wide single carriageway over the past decades? Seems mad the way we have the M1, N/M2 and N3/M3 all running almost parallel to one another...

The M1 and N2 are very close together at Ardee ~7km linked by the N33

They diverge after this. The M3 is always further away from the N2, and much more so north of the Boyne.

A lot of the N2 north of Ardee is segregated with wire barriers, and left turn off the road only, with over/underbridges

I wonder what improvements to the A5 are planned south of Ballygawley? or around Aughnacloy. given the current state of brexit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They should, but that route is already safe and a good standard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M1 and N2 are very close together at Ardee ~7km linked by the N33

They diverge after this. The M3 is always further away from the N2, and much more so north of the Boyne.

A lot of the N2 north of Ardee is segregated with wire barriers, and left turn off the road only, with over/underbridges

I wonder what improvements to the A5 are planned south of Ballygawley? or around Aughnacloy. given the current state of brexit.

A5 dualling is planned all the way to the border. Routing is not yet decided due to the fact the N2 route isn't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

spacetweek wrote: »

They should, but that route is already safe and a good standard.

Shouldn't be a hard job; very little side accesses and plenty of room either side.

Advertisement