Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Thornton 5k

Options
  • 27-07-2017 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

It's that time of year when I sign up for the Grant Thornton 5k.

Having done it for the last 2 years I really hope this year the course is measured correctly. There is no doubt in my mind that the race was short the last 2 years. Myself and everyone I know got comfortable Pbs and much quicker than the docklands 5k a couple of months previous.

Do Athletics Ireland stand over this race? It's disappointing that this could happen two years in a row.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Paddy1234 wrote: »

Having done it for the last 2 years I really hope this year the course is measured correctly. There is no doubt in my mind that the race was short the last 2 years. Myself and everyone I know got comfortable Pbs and much quicker than the docklands 5k a couple of months previous.

Do Athletics Ireland stand over this race? It's disappointing that this could happen two years in a row.

Not being smart but if short for the last two years why would you do it again?

FWIW, I did it last year and I measured it 4.86.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Last year a few people I know flagged this issue to the race organizers so hopefully they get it right this year!
    As far as I know the course is measured correctly but the traffic cone at turn around point up near the point village was put in the wrong place the past couple of years. So they just need to make sure they set it up correctly on the day to match the measured course. 
    I agree it's very annoying when they get something like course distance wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Last year a few people I know flagged this issue to the race organizers so hopefully they get it right this year!
    As far as I know the course is measured correctly but the traffic cone at turn around point up near the point village was put in the wrong place the past couple of years. So they just need to make sure they set it up correctly on the day to match the measured course. 

Happening twice is twice too much for an AAI race, and a bit too much of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Paddy1234 wrote: »

Not being smart but if short for the last two years why would you do it again?

FWIW, I did it last year and I measured it 4.86.
    Because my workmates are putting in a team and don't want to let them down.

Agree you could (just about) forgive them for getting it wrong once but 2 years in a row is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Fiona44 wrote: »

I raised this before with them, it was two years ago. They would not admit to it even though i had plenty of evidence.

Last year the cone was further up the road and if you stay on the road and not the footpath you should hit 4.95k on your watch.

Its a nice race but not a target race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I raised this before with them, it was two years ago. They would not admit to it even though i had plenty of evidence.

Last year the cone was further up the road and if you stay on the road and not the footpath you should hit 4.95k on your watch.

Its a nice race but not a target race.

I expect it is/was a conscious decision to brings their numbers up. Tom McCormack's not going to get the bullet over it. Corporate teams are made up largely of people who don't run regularly and I guess a good 5k time at this race (albeit short) is attractive for them.

happygoose wrote: »
    I expect it is/was a conscious decision to brings their numbers up. Tom McCormack's not going to get the bullet over it. Corporate teams are made up largely of people who don't run regularly and I guess a good 5k time at this race (albeit short) is attractive for them.

In fairness the top end of this race is pretty competitive. Alot of serious runners in it. We have finished in the top 10 most years but are way off the winners, we be all under the sub 20, with two of us under 18 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I checked with a club finisher who actually recorded the course at 5km.

I was marshalling so hope it went well for all.

The abuse from the public at times would leave you reeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

No issue with distance this year for me, 5.05 on the Garmin which is less accurate so sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    No issue with distance this year for me, 5.05 on the Garmin which is less accurate so sounds about right

5.03 for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very well organised race. Marshalling was excellent, with stewards encouraging runners on. The finish on the opposite side of the river was better than last year. I clocked 5.09k. We had nearly 200 from our company so as an event to get people out running/jogging/walking it works.

I PBed last year on the course suspected short :o As a flat course its fast but theres a lot of turns - the initial ones being congested - including the 180 turn at the end of the north quay before the East Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Really enjoyed the race. Great atmosphere and a huge turnout. I liked the new course, definitely preferred the new finish. I had the course a 5.05km, I had it under last year. I found the start a bit congested. Workmates who were further down the field said it was chock a block all the way round.

Just over 4,200 took part, I would think that is the max on this route, if maybe a bit to much. It's been a great success for AI, it really seems to have caught on.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Double post

New course this year, a much slower course with the extra turns in it.

Was in the first wave, first 2 km the roads were too narrow for it, some of it due to the road works. Gardai on the bike were a bit abusive to some runners in the manner they told them to get on the other side of the cones.

It opened up nicely after that. The extra corners around the buildings and the crowd made it a slower course compare to enfield and kilcock.

Stewards were great except initially at the finish line. A good few of us crossed the finish line, the stewards tried rushing us along when no one had recovered, people snapped back at them. They have a job to do but also need to give the runners 5 seconds to get their bearings.

Love the t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

aquinn wrote: »
    I checked with a club finisher who actually recorded the course at 5km.

I was marshalling so hope it went well for all.

The abuse from the public at times would leave you reeling.

Pardon my naievity but why would you get abuse? from runners or bystanders?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good event. Really enjoyed it and it was my c25k teams first 5k so delighted for all of them. Only complaint I had was walkers 3 and 4 abreast impeding runners. (This was wave 2 before the end of the first km)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Down South wrote: »
    Pardon my naievity but why would you get abuse? from runners or bystanders?

Generally it's from the public, people trying to cross the course on foot or on bikes. There are usually a few choice words bandied around. One of our clubmates was called a "lesbian c*nt" this year by a charming citizen.

I did see a runner giving out to a marshal at the end of Frank Duffy this year. The precious lad was objecting to being asked to keep moving in the chute.

The vast majority of runners and passers-by however are generally positively disposed to the minor inconveniences foisted on them.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Generally it's from the public, people trying to cross the course on foot or on bikes. There are usually a few choice words bandied around. One of our clubmates was called a "lesbian c*nt" this year by a charming citizen.

I did see a runner giving out to a marshal at the end of Frank Duffy this year. The precious lad was objecting to being asked to keep moving in the chute.

The vast majority of runners and passers-by however are generally positively disposed to the minor inconveniences foisted on them.

In fairness to the chute thing, the marshals in most races have gone over the top with their role in the last two years. You need to give the runners at least 5-10 secs to recover, let them get steady or catch their breath.

I remember the time marshals used to help you after you cross the line, seems to be forgotten now, all about moving the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Good event. Really enjoyed it and it was my c25k teams first 5k so delighted for all of them. Only complaint I had was walkers 3 and 4 abreast impeding runners. (This was wave 2 before the end of the first km)

Always a problem on city centre runs. Marshalls really should be instructed to ask them to leave space for runners, and be militant in enforcing the starting waves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great! More work for the marshals! To be honest, marshals and stewards at city centre races are busy enough as it is keeping the course clear of traffic and pedestrians to be jumping in to give out to walkers. Slow runners/walkers getting in the way are a feature of mass participation events. Complaining about their presence/positioning is old hat at this stage.

As to being allowed to stop for 5-10 seconds in the finish area before moving on - it's not hard to do the arithmetic on that one. It would be calamitous for the finishers behind. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great! More work for the marshals! To be honest, marshals and stewards at city centre races are busy enough as it is keeping the course clear of traffic and pedestrians to be jumping in to give out to walkers. Slow runners/walkers getting in the way are a feature of mass participation events. Complaining about their presence/positioning is old hat at this stage.

As to being allowed to stop for 5-10 seconds in the finish area before moving on - it's not hard to do the arithmetic on that one. It would be calamitous for the finishers behind. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how the Dublin marathon but an end to the arm in arm walkers a few years ago!

It's also amazing how other races handle the chute alot better and how the 10 miler which had a bigger attendance could handle it a few years ago. No idea how ten miler is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

This was on earlier this evening. Well organised event, straight forward baggage area, well marked sensible wave areas, a bit of noise here and there to cheer up the crowd (and we needed that after that downpour at the start, soaked and running thru puddles everyone splashing everyone else), simple water and fruit at the end, sandwich and coffee to finish off and even a medal.

They had tweaked the route slightly from previous years, and Garminn watch read 5.07 kms. Fair play to organizers, good event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

positron wrote: »
    This was on earlier this evening. Well organised event, straight forward baggage area, well marked sensible wave areas, a bit of noise here and there to cheer up the crowd (and we needed that after that downpour at the start, soaked and running thru puddles everyone splashing everyone else), simple water and fruit at the end, sandwich and coffee to finish off and even a medal.

They had tweaked the route slightly from previous years, and Garminn watch read 5.07 kms. Fair play to organizers, good event.

My Suunto measured it well long, the longest I've ever recorded for a 5k (I'm perfectly aware that GPS is not accurate enough to make a definite statement if it was long or not).

It was exceptionally well organised, I can't fault a single thing. But I still can't quite get my head around the price they charge for a 5k when there are free parkruns all over the place every Saturday that are just as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My Suunto measured it well long, the longest I've ever recorded for a 5k (I'm perfectly aware that GPS is not accurate enough to make a definite statement if it was long or not).

It was exceptionally well organised, I can't fault a single thing. But I still can't quite get my head around the price they charge for a 5k when there are free parkruns all over the place every Saturday that are just as much fun.

I have it measured as 3.2.

I have to say I enjoyed it. There were a lot of people being very stupid by jumping curbs and creating spaces for themselves where there weren't any but even still I enjoyed it. Massive crowd. We started too far back. I have marshalled at it the last two years so first time to do this route. I wouldn't fancy racing the route at all.

I thought the band with the drums were deadly. Was very glad of the t-shirt to change into as we were destoyed from the rain.

Thank you to Crusaders and all others for volunterring.

I wish the medal had gone towards a charity donation or better spent.

A lot of flooding on the route. I was worried I would hit a massive pothole from one of the puddles but all good. The roads are in shocking condition and those man hole coveres are treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

aquinn wrote: »
    I have it measured as 3.2.

I have to say I enjoyed it. There were a lot of people being very stupid by jumping curbs and creating spaces for themselves where there weren't any but even still I enjoyed it. Massive crowd. We started too far back. I have marshalled at it the last two years so first time to do this route. I wouldn't fancy racing the route at all.

I thought the band with the drums were deadly. Was very glad of the t-shirt to change into as we were destoyed from the rain.

Thank you to Crusaders and all others for volunterring.

I wish the medal had gone towards a charity donation or better spent.

A lot of flooding on the route. I was worried I would hit a massive pothole from one of the puddles but all good. The roads are in shocking condition and those man hole coveres are treacherous.

Great race as always. Deffo long, I thought about 80m, that was the only bit of a downer. The rain was brutal into the face after the turn around. Happy with the evenings run though

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah I had it 90m long. Not sure why they couldn't just make it a flat 5km?

Made me realise how bad the drainage along the keys is. One down pour and standing water evwrywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't enjoy it. Probably because it was my 5th run of 2018 and first in 5 months but there was way to many people and the run down to the point was pretty boring.

Best bit was running through the puddles imo

Advertisement