Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting News Thread

• 28-07-2017 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I thought a thread to put in news items you have come across, that you would like to discuss, or you would like to hear other people's thoughts on.

The first item that I wanted to hear opinions on:

UK is to ban the sale of cars with petrol or diesel engines by 2040

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its only a matter of time before someone decides that allowing individuals to be in control of a ton or so of high speed metal is really not a good idea. What the alternative will be I have no idea. I don't see any problem in moving on from petrol or diesel to more efficient and safe propulsion. Meanwhile I am not likely to be driving in the UK in 2040 and certainly not in Ireland whenever they come to the same conclusion, so I don't have an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We were discussing this just yesterday as it was on the news. I thought yay, great, I'll get meself an electric car one day. Himself sez, okay so we all eventually buy expensive electric cars, and they finally install loads more electric points to plug 'em into..........so what do they think electricity comes from..........from burning more fossil fuels of course!! It also takes three or four hours to jizz up an electric car. And eventually, the battery will need to be replaced, and that will cost the price of yet another car!! He's obviously the brains of the family! :D It looks like a lose, lose, situation! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just can't imagine how someone living in a terrace of houses with on street parking will plug in their cars for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

There won't be any on-street parking. The vanes of the communal wind turbines will take up all the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

hmm good point on the housing idea the claims courts will be making money hands over fist on trip accidents

• Advertisement

I just can't imagine how someone living in a terrace of houses with on street parking will plug in their cars for charging.

I can lend you an extension lead! ;)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I can lend you an extension lead! ;)

I don't need one here on my rural demesne. I'm curious how the unfortunate apartment or terrace dwellers will operate though. Most times they can't get part near their own homes let alone at a charge point.
    We have over twenty years to go, so perhaps we'll have a different fuel source or wireless electricity.

I don't need on here on my rural demeaned. I'm curious how the unfortunate apartment or terrace dwellers will operate though. Most times they can't get part near their own homes let alone at a charge point.
    We have over twenty years to go, so perhaps we'll have a different fuel source or wireless electricity.

LPG is widely used on some 4x4's now, and hydrogen fuel cells are also a possibility by then as we have them already, just not in production cars.

Just heard on the news that a woman made an emergency call in USA that she had a boa constrictor stuck to her face.

Fire fighters arrived in minutes and found the lady lying in her driveway with the snake stuck to her face. they used a pen knife to free her.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that a woman made an emergency call in USA that she had a boa constrictor stuck to her face.

Fire fighters arrived in minutes and found the lady lying in her driveway with the snake stuck to her face. they used a pen knife to free her.

That seemed a strange story, until I realised it was the USA. Mad as a sack of frogs over there. Nothing surprises me where it's concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You know, of all the reasons to call 911, having a boa constrictor stuck to your face is definitely one of the best I can think of (although it must have made making the call a bit difficult).

Also an excellent excuse for not having homework done, speeding or for getting out of a meeting. Especially if it's still there when making the excuse.

Back to transport and here in UK they will be trialling driverless trucks in near future. Scary.

Back to transport and here in UK they will be trialling driverless trucks in near future. Scary.

I vote No to driverless trucks.

vote? you think we live in a democracy or something?

They can't stop me from voting if I want to! Its still NO! to driverless anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    They can't stop me from voting if I want to! Its still NO! to driverless anything.
    I'd prefer driverless to putterless :eek:.

Advertisement