Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 Cameras, Also need power?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So drilling through suspended ceiling for cameras, Advised to keep them at that height as you loose too much image putting them in soffit of 2 story house.

I'm running a cat6 cable out, I'm told cat6 can also carry power for night vision in so no need for a power cable, is this correct??

Plan on viewing camera from the net.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Hi all,

So drilling through suspended ceiling for cameras, Advised to keep them at that height as you loose too much image putting them in soffit of 2 story house.

I'm running a cat6 cable out, I'm told cat6 can also carry power for night vision in so no need for a power cable, is this correct??

Plan on viewing camera from the net.

Thanks in advanced.

Are the cameras power over Ethernet (POE)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If the camera supports POE, then yes. If your router/switch does not support POE, then you will need to get a POE adapter to deliver the power to the camera. This will require a power outlet wherever you use the adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Ok, Security system is not yet chosen.

So next is whats best?
    Is POE a good way to go?
    In this case its just a case of running an cat6 from router (Or switcher in my case as theres about 18billion cat6 in the house) to a camera that has built in POE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Ok, Security system is not yet chosen.

So next is whats best?
    Is POE a good way to go?
    In this case its just a case of running an cat6 from router (Or switcher in my case as theres about 18billion cat6 in the house) to a camera that has built in POE?

The switch would have to be capable of delivering PoE too. Can't just use any router/switch. It'll be labelled on it.

If your switch is not capable of it, it doesn't mean all is lost. You can get PoE injectors that plug into a 3 pin socket and then on to the camera. From the injector on you only have the one cat6 cable running to your camera. Downside is of course is that you lose a power socket and it's more cables back toward the switch end of things.

If you choose Ubiquiti cameras be careful. They are kind of fussy about what they will and won't work with PoE wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Oh and to answer your question, I like Hikvision cameras, have a few that are backed to a Hikvision NVR, the NVR here provides PoE to the cams, so it's a straight run of one cat5 or 6 from the recorder to the cam.

Consider a small UPS for the NVR and cams in the event of a powercut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement