Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior Decorator for rental property

Options
  • 28-07-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anybody has experience dealing with any company that fits out or renovates rental properties?

My folks have an 2 bed apartment between rentals at the moment but with the exception of the kitchen that was replaced about four years ago it's horribly dated and I'm encouraging them to refit to a good standard that will achieve a decent market rate rent.
    They are elderly at this stage and really don't want the hassle of such a big job, I've repainted the apartment for them but don't have the time to do a big job on it, it would take me months to do it piecemeal over weekends because though it's go a fresh coat of paint over the paint job that was over old textured wallpaper that should have been stripped off about three decades ago. The whole place reeks of the 70's TBH and things like the fireplace need to be ripped out and modernised along with all the fixtures
    The folks have kept the rent very cheap (a grand for a two bed in a fashionable area) as a trade off, keeping good uncomplaining tennants that didn't mind living in the 70's at a cheap price but I'm trying to convince them to modernize the property and realise a decent rent from it.

Basically I'm wondering who might be a good company to deal with, what kind of cost would be involved and has anybody had experience dealing with such companies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The previous rent has to be charged so no point do anything really. You're in a Rent Pressure Zone.

So given that - Bargaintown/Ikea is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

He's looking for an interior designer. Now I know things are yet to be tested but I very much doubt an interior designer will qualify. Now if he's pulling out the bathroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

He's looking for an interior designer. Now I know things are yet to be tested but I very much doubt an interior designer will qualify. Now if he's pulling out the bathroom...

The fireplace would have to be ripped out the bathroom too, the kitchen was done and the carpets replaced about 4 years ago but all the furnature, beds, curtians and fixtures like lights etc would need to be replaced as well as the walls stripped of painted over wallpaper (and thus propably needing a replaster) if that would count as a substantial enough renovation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rent it unfurnished that'll save a lot of hassle

The previous rent has to be charged so no point do anything really. You're in a Rent Pressure Zone.

I think Bargain town will do a basic fit out but Ikea won't as as there would be work like ripping out and replacing a fireplace I'd say an interiour designer or 'somebody' that will project manage and organize trades to do jobs like plastering and bathroom fitting will be needed.

The property is vacant at the moment and was rented to the previous tennent at well below market rent. I'm unclear if a new lease with a new tennent is effected by this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

conorhal wrote: »
    The property is vacant at the moment and was rented to the previous tennent at well below market rent. I'm unclear if a new lease with a new tennent is effected by this?

If property was rented in the last 2 years, RPZ conditions apply if it's within one of the defined areas.

• Advertisement

+1 your guess is as good as ours OP although I would venture mere internal decor is not enough. Bathroom is where I will be pitching mine at should I chose to rent it to permanent tenants rather than AirBnB.

Policing-wise, it would be down to the new tenants to know what is was let for previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Its not defined in the Act.

If he pulls out the fireplace and modernises all of the the fixtures as he states, that is more than a simple redecoration.[/quote]

It is defined. Rpz = Substantial change in nature as contrasted to substantial refurbisment critera to terminate a tenancy.

davindub wrote: »
    It is defined. Rpz = Substantial change in nature as contrasted to substantial refurbisment critera to terminate a tenancy.

You'd need to define that a bit further please :pac:

To me that's simply another undefined definition. I welcome your insight into it though, while I've no intention of terminating a tenancy I may replace the bathroom to avail of better rents once the current one ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You'd need to define that a bit further please :pac:

To me that's simply another undefined definition. I welcome your insight into it though, while I've no intention of terminating a tenancy I may replace the bathroom to avail of better rents once the current one ends.

The RPZ criteria to increase rent beyond the limits is substantial change in nature, yes it is undefined but they did not use the phrase substantial refurbishment which they would have if they intended refurbishments to come under the term.

I would estimate substantial change in nature refers to adding an extension, changing a pre-63 bedsit configuration into flats, etc. Change in Nature not appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I just got a job done on a 1 bed apartment to an excellent standard will PM you.

I don't know how anyone could argue that fitting out a dated aprtment to bring it up to a modern looking apartment does not increase market value and thus justify increasing rent.

davindub wrote: »
    The RPZ criteria to increase rent beyond the limits is substantial change in nature, yes it is undefined but they did not use the phrase substantial refurbishment which they would have if they intended refurbishments to come under the term.

I would estimate substantial change in nature refers to adding an extension, changing a pre-63 bedsit configuration into flats, etc. Change in Nature not appearance!

Thanks Dav, that certainly clears things up a bit.

I don't know how anyone could argue that fitting out a dated aprtment to bring it up to a modern looking apartment does not increase market value and thus justify increasing rent.

In fairness that's probably precisely what they're trying to avoid, and if a that purpose if applied to the legislation and given Dav's correction, and the previous assertions of some of the mods here I'd be inclined to say even refitting the kitchen and bathroom don't qualify - however I concede we don't know for sure.

AirBnB it is then. Still have to do the bathroom though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In fairness that's probably precisely what they're trying to avoid, and if a that purpose if applied to the legislation and given Dav's correction, and the previous assertions of some of the mods here I'd be inclined to say even refitting the kitchen and bathroom don't qualify - however I concede we don't know for sure.

AirBnB it is then. Still have to do the bathroom though! :pac:

The only objective part of the test is that the substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided Results in a material increase in rental potential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement