Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting

Options
  • 28-07-2017 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi I am a separated father of one ..I get to have my son every 2nd weekend and one day during the week ..My worry is that even though he is 7 he is still very childish at times and my ex still treats him like a baby ..its got to the stage that other people are pointing it out to me ..he is a great child but just needs a push in the right direction ..does anyone know of any real good parenting books or have any advice ..
    I had signed him up for swimming football and other stuff but she just wont bring him anywhere even though she isnt working ..so annoying ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Im also a weekend dad and sometimes upset that I dont have enough input in my boys lives.

Does he read well?
    Roald Dahl is a great author,his books open up the imagination and his books drop in large words but in a way that a child can comprehend.
    My lad is 7 and I have him reading those,I also read a chapter or 2 to get him started.
    Get him riding a bike...play football with him yourself...bring him places that are a bit more grown up(you know his interests)...I brought my lad to car shows,the air show in Bray last week,National History Museum,go karting(at 7 he should be big enough) etc etc.
    Its all just stuff I did simply because playgrounds bore me...bring him to some of your interests...some he'll like...some not...but he be happy doing something that dad likes(all little lads look up to their dad).
    Another thing I did is get him making his own meals....cereal..do it yourself..spills milk..who cares?....make a sandwich for lunch...tears the bread asunder trying to butter it...meh! so what...
    Any jobs around the house need doing?
    "Daddy needs help with a big job"..."do you think you can help,its only for big people".....my own experience is my 2 lads jump at the chance to pull up weeds,help fix a car,change a lightbulb anything that makes them feel important.

School will sort out the childishness in time because of his classmates.

Main thing is dont worry,just do the more "grown up" stuff when he's with dad.

You can only control what happens when he is with you so try not worry about the rest(working on this myself)

I probably waffled on a bit but my lads went home earlier this evening and Ive fcuk all to do until next Sat.

Good luck pal...Its not easy and Im in the same boat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Just to pick up on the reading point - choose some of those Roald Dahl books carefully- James and the giant peach had mine in tears and we to abandon it first time round as the parents dying was too upsetting. For a reluctant reader with my 2nd I found frank lampards books really caught his imagination and turned on the reading bug big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

In what way do you mean babyish?

I have children a bit older than yours and there are still some times when they revert back to bahabiour they had when they are younger.

If it's ocassional crying, or toileting accidents or tantrums that's okay, and part and parcel.

If it's wanting affection, cuddles and to be carried that's normal (not that I do the carrying mind you, but they keep asking!)

If it's sometimes needing you to help them get to sleep, by staying with them, or holding their hand, or having a light on, that's okay too.

I generally find David Coleman has a good approach, so you could look at his books. I also hear good things about Steve Biddulph.

Swimming is great for seven year olds to start, and it's a hobby you can both have for life.

If you're in Dublin, science gallery, museums, art galleries, ark in Temple bar are all great places for taking "grown up" kids

Cycling sounds fun too. I'm sure he and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My lady is just 7. He's in the Beavers (,cubs) which he loves.
    Not a week was let slip last year. GAA didn't get the same enthusiasm but he still goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

When you say very childish at times what are the behaviours you mean?
    What do you do with him at the weekends?
    You can't necessarily change the way your ex interacts with your child, rather instead focussing on your own interaction with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

My lady is just 7. He's in the Beavers (,cubs) which he loves.
    Not a week was let slip last year. GAA didn't get the same enthusiasm but he still goes.

I've a lad (8) who loves beavers (and swimming, athletics, art, reading...) too, but don't ask him to pick up a ball of any shape. He just point blank refuses and at this stage i don't make an issue of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

It could just be regression, children can go through several bouts of regression and its all part of their development. But like the other posters more information.

Are you concerned its a behavioral issue that requires an assessment?

Or is your issue with the mother and the fact that she lets him behave like a baby?

Advertisement