Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan is the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The bravest man in the Tour de France. According to Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It really puts into perspective the efforts that he made in the mountains, what a guy

Catch me if you can, my name is Dan, sure I'm your man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Lots of announcements from Quickstep team regarding riders for next year in recent days, but not a squeak about Dan renewing with them, so it would seem likely that he probably won't be there next year. Do the rumours about him signing Team UAE have real substance? Presumably Aru has to get off the UAE Vs Astana fence before Dan's 2018 team will become clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Lots of announcements from Quickstep team regarding riders for next year in recent days, but not a squeak about Dan renewing with them, so it would seem likely that he probably won't be there next year. Do the rumours about him signing Team UAE have real substance? Presumably Aru has to get off the UAE Vs Astana fence before Dan's 2018 team will become clear?

i thought it was already announced he was staying, no?

• Advertisement

i thought it was already announced he was staying, no?

No I don't think so....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd never take anything to help me. Other than the tramadol.

tunney wrote: »

I assume this is in relation to what he said in his interview with Paul Kimmage.

Do you not think it is commendable that he is up front about everything he has ever taken, rather than keep it quiet? He also said after taking it, it felt wrong and as such hasn't taken it in the seven years since.

No he doesn't, it was Dan who brought it up on both occasions.

It sounds like your just looking for a reason to give out about Kimmage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I think you may be making a headline out of something he even said was not a great experience, and a long time ago. Tramadol is widely prescribed as a pain killer and saying you took it does not make you a cheat.

No he doesn't, it was Dan who brought it up on both occasions.

It sounds like your just looking for a reason to give out about Kimmage.

Not the case, PK brought Froome up on his 2nd place at the Vuelta, then later brings up Valverde.

Don't get me wrong theres a decent interview there but these also some scutter.

Not the case, PK brought Froome up on his 2nd place at the Vuelta, then later brings up Valverde.

The two men who have beaten Dan in his biggest races this year, Liege and the Tour. Surely it's normal to bring up his main rivals? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I was very taken with his Irishness. I knew he had obvious family links to this country and I know he's great at coming over to do Temple Street charity stuff etc but I never knew he was so dyed-in-the-green. Great to hear it!
    Also a bit of an eye opener to hear about the venom that was in VC la pomme in his amateur days in France. It's the environment that our most talented kids strive to join, and it seems a horrible grounding.

The two men who have beaten Dan in his biggest races this year, Liege and the Tour. Surely it's normal to bring up his main rivals? :confused:

He mentioned them in the context of 2009 or so though didn't he? There was also the part about Kimmage giving Nico a hard time because he's not vocal enough about "stuff that's going on" .

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I was curious about that comment too. It reminded me of a previous interview Kimmage did with Nicholas Roche where he said pretty much the same thing. That he took it, that he hated it, so he never took it again. I'd be curious to see the timeline as to when Roche/Dan took it, vs when it started being a 'thing' in the pro peloton (I'd guess it's something Sky unearthed). And, if there's a try-and-see-what-it-does-for-you period when something new and legal emerges.

I recall something similar in the mid-90s when creatine hit the headlines. It may already have been popular in rugby before then but GAA teams started taking it en masse. Some players kept it up, more stopped taking it - almost none of them knew why they were taking it, other than that it might be 'good for you'. I'd guess this is why Dan and Nico took tramadol. It did nothing for either so they never took it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Having been on Tramadol earlier this year, I'd have to wonder why the fcuk anyone would want to try control a bike with this stuff in their system. The whole time I was on it I couldn't even concentrate on TV!

Back on topic, I think Dan was really badly let down by his team, seeming to be more focussed on just getting Kittel over the hills rather than supporting an actual GC contender. Where could he go to get the sort of support he needs? Trek?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eponymous wrote: »
    Having been on Tramadol earlier this year, I'd have to wonder why the fcuk anyone would want to try control a bike with this stuff in their system. The whole time I was on it I couldn't even concentrate on TV!

Back on topic, I think Dan was really badly let down by his team, seeming to be more focussed on just getting Kittel over the hills rather than supporting an actual GC contender. Where could he go to get the sort of support he needs? Trek?

Have quickstep ever been a GC team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

godtabh wrote: »
    Have quickstep ever been a GC team?
    Not that I recall, but you don't take on a cyclist like Dan if you don't have some ambitions beyond the odd stage/classics win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Not that I recall, but you don't take on a cyclist like Dan if you don't have some ambitions beyond the odd stage/classics win.

I think Quickstep took him on primarily for the Ardennes and Lombardy as well as week long stage races. Going for GC in the Tour is a bonus for them I'd say.

Pa8301 wrote: »
    I think Quickstep took him on primarily for the Ardennes and Lombardy as well as week long stage races. Going for GC in the Tour is a bonus for them I'd say.

Alaphillippe, Gilbert have them fairly nicely covered for those too! Ah they like a bit of a GC man to complement the sprinters too but only if there's no effort involved. Still, even by their poor standards they left him out to dry with this years TDF tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

As much as I like Quick Step as a team, Dan would be much better served on a more GC oriented team. If he can do what he did with practically no help in the mountains he would surely give Froome something to worry about with a few skinny domestiques.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

To be fair to QS, I'd say that is exactly how Dan was perceived before this year's Tour. Potential Ardennes winner but not a real GC threat - I'd say most people would have said that he couldn't live with the GC group in the Alps/Pyrenees. This year's tour has changed that perception even according to Dan himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Thud

To be fair to QS, I'd say that is exactly how Dan was perceived before this year's Tour. Potential Ardennes winner but not a real GC threat - I'd say most people would have said that he couldn't live with the GC group in the Alps/Pyrenees. This year's tour has changed that perception even according to Dan himself.

Last years tour and the Dauphine? He should have been given more than one team mate to support him in the hills this year.

Dan will be riding a Colnago next year.........that's great. It sounds as if he will get a good team behind him for a decent crack at a grand tour.

http://www.uaeteamemirates.com/daniel-martin-board-ambitious-emirati-project/

Saronni-C-Martin-615x420.jpg

Personally I'm disappointed in his choice of team. There's very little to like about them, from riders right through to sponsors. The only worse one he could've picked was Bahrain. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Personally I'm disappointed in his choice of team. There's very little to like about them, from riders right through to sponsors. The only worse one he could've picked was Bahrain. Ah well.

agreed. Though there's almost no team out there left without something to dislike about them.

• Advertisement

Does he get free flights.

Advertisement