Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance refusal

• 28-07-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I applied for carers allowance for my dad in April and today received a letter saying I don't qualify because "although my dad may require some assistance with certain tasks he does not appear to require frequent assistance throughout the day with normal bodily functions." and "I have not provided sufficient evidence to prove that my dad satisfies the full time care and attention requirements of the scheme."

I know that the next step is requesting a review but I'm not sure how to go about it, I know I should write a letter detailing everything I do for him on a daily basis but getting the sufficient evidence from his GP might be hard as my dad is bedridden most of the time and hasn't been to his GP in over 1 year (his health has deteriorated a lot over that year).

I've made appointments over the last year for my dad to see his GP but my dad says he's in too much pain to go, It's a miracle if he ever goes to any other appointments (Dentist/Hospital) as he can barely get out of bed most of the time. I might be able to get him to go with me to his GP and talk to his GP about his issues but would a letter from his GP count as sufficient evidence?

Also I am currently on Supplementary welfare allowance and am wondering if I will continue to get it during the review and or appeal if it comes down to it.

Any help at all is appreciated.

Advertisement