Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike insurance and Lock

Options
  • 28-07-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

ok, so I go to pick up my new bike tomorrow. I wont really be locking it outside much and there is a safe store in work, so which lock should I get?

I also think I'm going to get it insured so if anybody had any recommendations around insurers that would be great too.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spend minimum of 10% of the bikes value on a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

bikeinsurance.ie, make sure you read all the small print
    Get a chunky lock with a high security rating

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Are KRYPTONITE a decent brand for locks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Are KRYPTONITE a decent brand for locks?
    Yes, provided you get an orange or yellow lock. The grey locks are better suited as secondary locks, I think.

Abus and OnGuard have very good locks too. See what locks your shop has, and read a few reviews, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This site looks as if it is thorough enough.
    http://thebestbikelock.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Get this lock and (as it is heavy a fook) leave it in the rack in work. Don't leave it on the ground, leave it hanging locked to something, preferably covered to mitigate the risk of rust.

It's what I've done with my puppy, combine it with a cable and it's safe as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Also make sure you lock the bike properly, lock it to something substantial and try to lock through the rear triangle.
    Understand how thieves use leverage etc. to break locks and lock the bike accordingly.

I've seen people with great locks but then only lock the front wheel which has a quick release.

Remove quick release components, esp the saddle.

If someone wants to take you bike, they can. regardless of how good your lock is and how well you use it. The thing is most thefts are opertunistic. You just need to make sure that your bike is not the worst locked on the street and / or the nicest bike on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Yeah, I'm generally careful of what I lock i too, however the reason I need a new bike and lock is that I locked it
    to a LUAS works fence and they took my bike, the lock and the fence!

Advertisement