Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel to Dublin - Safest Route

Options
  • 28-07-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions, I don't mind an extra 20 or 30k if I'm on quieter roads and not national routes, also preferably if on main roads they'd have a hard shoulder.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://cycle.travel/

This thing is brilliant.

I'm pretty map obsessed, like riding different roads all the time, always looking for new roads and 9/10 this software comes up with something better. Can be a little lumpy but always nice quite roads.

I rode Clonmel Cork last Sunday, route was really nice; but I'm 10 years riding variations of it and even then the cycle travel option looked a close second.

I could probably get you a lovely route to Urlingford, Callan or Thomastown but form there on cycletravel would kick the sh1t out of me

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23603889
    Nice route to Bennetsbridge but I'd be chancing my arm after that

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

I have often cycled to Dublin from Kilkenny city.
    Safest and shortest way is Kilkenny - Carlow (bike lane) - Castledermot - Baltinglass - Blesssington - Tallaght.
    The run into Tallaght from Blessington is excellent provided you are on a dry road. The overall route is flat enough and if you have a SE or SW breeze in your back, it is even better.
    Distance about 120km.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm not familiar with Bennetsbridge to Gowran but from there up the old main road isn't a bad road to cycle on right up to near Naas, most of the heavy traffic is on the motorway and the road is mostly wide and with a decent hard shoulder, there'd be nicer roads to wander on but if the OP just wants to get from A to B efficiently it's fine.

From just before Naas I'd suggest swinging via Punchestown and Eadestown to Rathmore/Kilteel and on into Rathcoole, from there really it depends on your final destination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

thanks for the website above - very useful. Worth knowing that you must sign up before plotting your route or you won't be able to save it.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I was trying to keep to country roads if possible. I'm just uncomfortable with traffic passing me going over 100 km/h (even with a hard shoulder). I do realise I will be on these roads but just want them kept to a minimum

De Bhál wrote: »
    thanks for the website above - very useful. Worth knowing that you must sign up before plotting your route or you won't be able to save it.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I was trying to keep to country roads if possible. I'm just uncomfortable with traffic passing me going over 100 km/h (even with a hard shoulder). I do realise I will be on these roads but just want them kept to a minimum

Did you ever do that ride? If so what route did you use?

Going to do on Sunday, more interested on best way from south Dublin to Drumcondra than anything else if you see this before then

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

ford2600 wrote: »

Going to do on Sunday, more interested on best way from south Dublin to Drumcondra than anything else if you see this before then

Thanks

yeah, I'll pm you, that software you reccommended was what I used to plot a route and it was almost all country roads and lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ford2600 wrote: »

Thanks

Up for the match? At least the traffic wont be passing you too fast :)

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Up for the match? At least the traffic wont be passing you too fast :)

I won't see a car until I'm nearly in Blackpool!

Up the Deise

Advertisement