Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house rent increase

Options
  • 28-07-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi my council house rent is gone up by €50 per week I'm now paying a huge amount of rent in an area that's not very desirable and it's only a 2 bed property. I guess I'm asking would it be more worth my while to try buy the property as the rent is so high. Has anyone done this recently and if so how does it all work!!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

JC1979 wrote: »
    Hi my council house rent is gone up by €50 per week I'm now paying a huge amount of rent in an area that's not very desirable and it's only a 2 bed property. I guess I'm asking would it be more worth my while to try buy the property as the rent is so high. Has anyone done this recently and if so how does it all work!!
    Thanks in advance

You'll have to speak with the housing section whether you would be eligible for the Tenant Purchase Scheme. Generally speaking if you like the house, the discounts you can get by buying it are enormous. You can also get a mortgage from the Co. Co., if you meet their eligibility criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JC1979

You'll have to speak with the housing section whether you would be eligible for the Tenant Purchase Scheme. Generally speaking if you like the house, the discounts you can get by buying it are enormous. You can also get a mortgage from the Co. Co., if you meet their eligibility criteria.

Thanks for the info I'll definitely try look at this option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You may wish to consider that should the roof fall in at the moment the council sort it. If that happens, or anything else less severe, you have to sort it once you own it. As far as I know rent is tied to income, but I welcome a correction there, is it possible you're no longer in need of social housing support? If so perhaps moving on might be the better option if you're not happy with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You may wish to consider that should the roof fall in at the moment the council sort it. If that happens, or anything else less severe, you have to sort it once you own it. As far as I know rent is tied to income, but I welcome a correction there, is it possible you're no longer in need of social housing support? If so perhaps moving on might be the better option if you're not happy with the area.

Correct, it is a differential rent. You might pay 15-20% of your take home up to a cap.

Op, how long are you in the house? You can buy it, but you have to live there for 20 years or so or they claw back the discount. You have to be earning at least 15 to 20 k a year. The discount could be 50%. As for council mortgages, they are like hens teeth, but if it is a bad area either go to a commercial bank with 20% deposit, or take your refusal letters to the coucnil and force their hand on it.

As to Mr Cogleys point, might be worth thinking about because the maximum household income to keep you eligible for social housing support is about 35k or 38 if you've kids. It's less outside the capital then. Maybe 30-35. Go over that and you are out on the next annual review by the council.

If you were to buy a private house there is a thing called the Tenant allowance which is 10k off your mortgage for giving up your coucnil place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could test a case and say that they can only increase it by 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ted1 wrote: »
    You could test a case and say that they can only increase it by 4%.

I'm pretty sure the Rent Pressure Zones only affect private rentals. The 2015 amendment sets out a number of parallel but different allowable processes for social housing and approved housing bodies, one of which is setting of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

myshirt wrote: »
    Go over that and you are out on the next annual review by the council.

Sadly, this is not true.

Council tenancies are for life or until the tenant surrenders them, no matter how much the tenant no longer needs housing support.

Advertisement