Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance in flooding risk area?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Do any of the insurance companies give home insurance for properties in flood risk areas? I have rang at least 5 different companies and none will insure a particular property which is less than 200 meters away from a canal.

How are people living close to lakes/rivers/canals get home insurance???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Do any of the insurance companies give home insurance for properties in flood risk areas? I have rang at least 5 different companies and none will insure a particular property which is less than 200 meters away from a canal.

They arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

listermint wrote: »

They arent.

...I thought having home insurance was a requirement for a loan to be secured against the property/mortgage, so everybody who owns property near a lake/canal/river all own their properties outright or are living with no home insurance whatsoever? I doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

...I thought having home insurance was a requirement for a loan to be secured against the property/mortgage, so everybody who owns property near a lake/canal/river all own their properties outright or are living with no home insurance whatsoever? I doubt that

Have you tried any insurance brokers? If there's anything that makes the insurance non standard the main insurance companies will not quote but an insurance broker may be able to get you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We are within 100m of the grand canal in Dublin and got insurance this week with RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

You could ask the vendor or the neighbours.

Also check your flood risk map, I would be surprised if your property is not marked as high risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

listermint wrote: »
    They arent.

30m from the river Liffey here- on a hill- can't get building insurance.
    Thats life.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

is it possible to get insurance (ie fire and other issues) without flooding insurance

Advertisement