Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinchers, tubulars etc?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what these are exactly? And what are the pros and cons? What are my options if I got a puncture while out on a spin? Can they only be used on carbon wheels? Can you use any type of tyre and tube on a carbon wheel? Pardon my ignorance folks. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Clinchers are what most people are familiar with. They've a u-shaped profile and clip on to the rim over a separate inner tube. They can only be used with a clincher rim, which has a hooked edge they can clip into

Tubular tyres have an o-shaped profile. The inner tube is sown into the tyre and you glue the tyre onto the rim. They can only be used with a tubular rim.

Pros of clinchers are that its probably easier to fix a puncture when you get a flat, by simply replacing the inner tube.

Pros of tubulars are that they make for lighter rims, can be used with a greater range of tyre pressures, less potential for pinch flats, won't roll off the rim when you flat, meaning you can ride a flat for a while (which makes them good for racing). If you flat, you can either replace the tyre with a preglued one or fix with sealant.

You can get both clincher and tubular rims in both carbon and alloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... won't roll off the rim when you flat...
    Didn't a Spanish rider's tub roll off the rim after puncturing on a descent causing him to go down directly in front of LA who was forced to take that memorable short cut across a field in the 2003 TDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Didn't a Spanish rider's tub roll off the rim after puncturing on a descent causing him to go down directly in front of LA who was forced to take that memorable short cut across a field in the 2003 TDF?

this crash?

http://cdn.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Beloki.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They occasionally roll off (if badly glued although I think Beloki's was caused by melted tarmac sticking to the tyre) whereas a clincher will always roll off if you try to keep riding it.

Olano won the worlds in 1995 riding a flat. You couldn't do that on a clincher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

[QUOTE=If you flat, you can either replace the tyre with a preglued one or fix with sealant.
    [/QUOTE]

from your following team car:D

do i understand that if the tubular hasn't come off you could reinflate the tube with a quickfix instant sealant can often sold in Lidl/Aldi (specials sometime) to get you home ?

Wouldn't be a massive fan of sealant as you're never sure if its going to work or not and also it apparently can get brittle after a while. I'd only be inclined to use it on a tyre that's near end-of-life anyway.

Advertisement