Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling House

Options
  • 28-07-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is it a good idea to sell a house now?? or Should i wait a few months?? How much would it cost to sell a house, as in fees involved? Does anyone have advice? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Is it a good idea to sell a house now?? or Should i wait a few months?? How much would it cost to sell a house, as in fees involved? Does anyone have advice? thanks

Have just sold our house, as in closed deal 30mins ago....
    Most estate agents recommend selling around April-May but I'd say summer ok too.
    Estate agent fees vary from 1.25% to 2% of sale price plus approx 250€ for advertising.
    You will need a BER cert done, allow 200€.
    Solicitor fees vary, allow €5000.
    Our house went on market Easter week. Was sale agreed 5 weeks later then rest of time with solicitors doing what they do.
    Would recommend putting some effort into presentation of house, our agent swears that fresh paint sells houses...
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

As I just leave a potential client after telling them the same. Nothing happens in Cork for the next few weeks. Peak holidays.

End of August / September is a better time.

Advice above regarding fees is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is there any disadvantage to firing it up during a lull?

Is there any disadvantage to firing it up during a lull?

Well, less people around = less potential bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Well, less people around = less potential bidders.

But would you not just hold on until more people became available hoping that someone falls in love with the place in the meantime and gives you a decent price? I suppose you may lose people along the way or something but seems like a trade off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Cant really comment on timing but my experience of costs would be as follows:

Auctioneer: 1 - 1.25% + E299 for adverts

Solicitor: E1,500 + vat & outlay. budget around E2,500k (not sure how someone could have paid E5,000 tbh..perhaps buying and selling at the same time)

Above would be applicable in Limerick & Galway. Can't speak for anywhere else, though I have heard of a few solicitor's in Dublin going as low as E1,000k plus vat

Edit: BER Cert is valid for up to 10 years so you may not need a new one depending on when you bought your house. Obviously if you have an old cert and have done upgrades then it is worth getting a new cert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

But would you not just hold on until more people became available hoping that someone falls in love with the place in the meantime and gives you a decent price? I suppose you may lose people along the way or something but seems like a trade off.

From what I understand... people are put off by 'stale' houses... why has it sat for so long, is there something wrong with it etc... From speaking to an agent previously the best option is to get it up and sold within a month, after that it runs out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Solicitors fees shouldn't be more than 1250 +vat and outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ASoundMan

For anybody who is about to start the process of selling their house, I have just been thru it in DUBLIN SOUTH.

I regret now not doing more research, We WASTED A LOT OF MONEY ON AN ESTATE AGENT!!!!
    There are online agents now who charge very reasonable fees unlike the crazy fee the others charge.
    Seriously consider using one of these or even try to sell it yourself, all you need to do is get a few valuations in and judge a good asking price, then you can post your own ad on daft or/and myhome (will cost 2-3 hundred euro on each site - which is all the agent does, and they charge you thousands!!!!) and wait for the calls. Its just all about getting people thru the door, you just need 1 buyer, the agents have no magic to find them, you can find them yourself.

Our agent was useless, his valuation was way off - just to get the business of us, he had no negotiating skills at all!!!.
    Feedback on viewings was non-existent. In the end we had to agree on a price much lower than his valuation and the whole experience with him was just awful and WHATS WORSE we felt we had no control in the sale of your own house. We would easily have got the same price ourselves with a simple ad on daft, and saved THOUSANDS. I asked the manager of the agents office to give me a call, but as you can guess he never contacted me, they just take their full fee from the holding deposit and run away to the next poor sods who give them such easy money.

At the end of the day the best person to sell your house is the person who knows it best - YOU.
    So DO YOUR RESEARCH and if you do decide to employ an agent here are some tips.

1. FEE - Agree a fee, if its a percentage of the selling price, then make sure that they only get that IF THEY GET THE VALUATION PRICE THEY TOLD YOU YOUR HOUSE WAS WORTH. If you DON'T get that get them to agree a LOWER PERCENTAGE!!!!!!
    2. FEEDBACK - Tell them to give you feedback after each viewing, or at least weekly.
    3. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN SALE -Make sure they know whats actually included in the sale (are u including appliances, curtains etc)
    4. GET OUT CLAUSE - Get them to agree that if your not happy with them after 3 months, you can walk away without charges.

If you follow these 4 points you can at least ensure the estate agent will actually WORK FOR YOU AND try to sell your house and it keeps you in control. Remember an estate agent has no qualification so don't expect any intelligence from them, you have to be firm from the start.

Then hire a good solicitor who will fight your corner!!

ASoundMan wrote: »

Our agent was useless, his valuation was way off - just to get the business of us, he had no negotiating skills at all!!!.

I bet I know what agency that was!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

Please tell or pm me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Can you pm me the agent too, will be going through this process soon. Thanks.

Advertisement