Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave- bank holidays

Options
  • 28-07-2017 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

I am applying for Maternity Benefit this week (state maternity, my job doesn't pay) as I am going on leave in November. I emailed my boss with a few questions and one was regarding bank holidays. She responded saying that the two bank holidays at christmas won't carry over to when I return in May as the annual leave year is Jan- Dec. What's the story with this? Can I get paid for them in January or do they have to carry over despite the annual leave year in my job? My boss is very inexperienced in this so it is likely to be an honest mistake but I would definitely like it rectified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

They have to carryover, maternity leave is protected leave and you are entitled to everything apart from pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That's nonsense. Bank holidays and annual leave are accrued while on mat leave and taken at the end of your unpaid maternity leave if you take it, and at the end of your paid leave if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

An absolute load of crap. They have to be carried over when your on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Thanks for the replies. I did think it was incorrect alright but just wanted to be sure for when I spoke to my boss. She hasn't a clue. She also tried to get me to make up the hours I missed through hospital appointments but I was confident enough in that to correct her straight away.

I am shocked by the way you are being treated. She is totally incompetent. I would be telling her out straight that she needs to read up on Maternity Rights for employees in Ireland + I would be making a complaint about her to a higher manager if you have one in your company. It is totally illegal what she is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It is a very small team (3 including her) and we are run by a voluntary management board. I know for sure that they are genuine mistakes because she is only in the coordinator role two years and never had anyone go on maternity before. She will be grand once I tell her but I just wish I didn't have to be the one to research all this!

In relation to all the bank holidays accrued on leave, do i have to take them in bulk directly at the end of my maternity leave before returning to work or can i add the hours to my annual leave and space it out? I am not taking unpaid leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

appledrop wrote: »
    I am shocked by the way you are being treated. She is totally incompetent. I would be telling her out straight that she needs to read up on Maternity Rights for employees in Ireland + I would be making a complaint about her to a higher manager if you have one in your company. It is totally illegal what she is doing.

I wouldn't be going in all guns blazing at the start. Obviously the manager is in the wrong but educate her first then if she is still insistent get more official about it.

There is a very good booklet on workplacerelations.ie If you just put Maternity Rights in Ireland into Google it should come up. You should read it yourself + then could always tell her to read it. I know in my case I had to take small pit of unpaid leave first then I took carried over annual leave straight away after.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

In relation to all the bank holidays accrued on leave, do i have to take them in bulk directly at the end of my maternity leave before returning to work or can i add the hours to my annual leave and space it out? I am not taking unpaid leave.

I had to take them immediately after maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

My workplace pays me for my bank hols while I'm in maternity leave. They used to accrue but they changed it this year ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Loveinapril, make sure you fight for it - my work (long term very established business, 250+ employees) tried to tell me I had to make up the time missed for pregnancy related medical appointments and I disputed it - took weeks of arguing before they stopped making me make up the time missed. I have a long-term illness that requires me to attend the maternity hospital once a week along side my normal ante-natal appointments and I worked about 12 hours of time back that I shouldn't have had to at all :(

It's not just small businesses that aren't educated, the level of ignorance is shocking and some places seem to rip the complete p**s.

Good luck with everything x

Advertisement