Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€8 a pint?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's pure greed but they don't have to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Fools and their money.

Rip off should only be applied to products and services you are under any onus to buy

8 quid for a pint, wgaf, go next door. you're actively looking for something to moan about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's free to charge the price he is and people are free not to pay, yeah?

Yet the business is doing very well and people still complain they've been charged those prices.

Stop fu£kin buying it and it won't last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If fools stopped buying pints there he have to reduce his price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in milan ten years ago and got a round of five longnecks of peroni. E50 and bartender was waiting for a tip. Sod that we said n went on to the next pub. E50 again! Never go to milan op or u'll be permanently outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

economics5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

enricoh wrote:
    Was in milan ten years ago and got a round of five longnecks of peroni. E50 and bartender was waiting for a tip. Sod that we said n went on to the next pub. E50 again! Never go to milan op or u'll be permanently outraged!

50-b*stard-quid???? Holy Jesus!! I'd collapse, next of him looking for a tip

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ireland is a dear hole, and it's getting all celtic tiger again. People will never learn.

Currently in Spain, and the prices for food and drink put us to shame.

Just bought 8 litres of water for €1.29.
    Try buying a litre of bottled water in Ireland. W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Rip off should only be applied to products and services you are under any onus to buy

8 quid for a pint, wgaf, go next door. you're actively looking for something to moan about tbh

I'm concerned that tourists that know little better are being gouged

These boyos try it and suddenly since they're so good at it, the lads in the vicinity jack their prices up too

Next thing you know €8 is the new norm.

You try meet a group of friends and they suggest gogartys. Not always possible to choose where you want to drink but if it was my choice I would never darken the door of such a greedy place

Sorry if highlighting what's happening is "moaning" but you're also free to choose not to follow threads on something that doesn't seem to interest or phase you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

NIMAN wrote:
    Just bought 8 litres of water for €1.29. Try buying a litre of bottled water in Ireland. W

I usually buy water in 12 litre packs.. (6x2) and its not dear, 20 or 30 cents a litre..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Sorry if highlighting what's happening is "moaning" but you're also free to choose not to follow threads on something that doesn't seem to interest or phase you

Oh don't worry it didn't cost me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

enricoh wrote: »

Never go where the tourists go.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Templebar prices are extortionate. Walk 10 minutes down the road and get your pint for €4.

Same can be said for other European cities which are popular with tourists. Wander off the thoroughfare and you'll get your food/drink for far more reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Noveight wrote: »
    Templebar prices are extortionate. Walk 10 minutes down the road and get your pint for €4.

Same can be said for other European cities which are popular with tourists. Wander off the thoroughfare and you'll get your food/drink for far more reasonable prices.

This is just it. Dublin is extortionate for tourists but when you ask them what they do, the whole tourist infrastructure is built around encouraging them into Temple Bar. So once they've been told that's the place to get food and drink, those bars have them trapped like at an airport. No matter that, prices aside, the pubs in Temple Bar are total ****e, impersonations of a real pub. The tourists get a raw deal out of all this, missing out on the really great places to drink and spend time in the city and wandering around this awful theme park full of price-gouging hoors of bar owners, assorted British stag scumbags, and a never ending parade of Roma beggars and thieves looking to exploit them as best they can.

But that is exactly the same reason people come back from Barcelona disappointed. They are sent to the Ramblas to be gouged by bars, eat sub par food, get robbed by hookers and pickpockets and set upon by British stag parties. The same in Prague around Wenceslas square, and I'm sure plenty of other places too. In every case, including Dublin, there are really fantastic places not five minutes away. But as long as tourists are willing to be gouged, they'll be gouged.

If they come away thinking Dublin is a total rip off (and it's worth remembering that aside from these extreme examples, it is quite an expensive city), to some extent their lack of cop on needs to be factored in. If I go to Budapest and do all my drinking on Vaci utca, I'll be easily paying four or five times over the odds of what I would in the city generally. And I'll have completely missed out on the city. But it should be fairly obvious to me that I'm in a tourist gouging area. If you can't see Temple Bar is the same kind of place, you'd have to be blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

8 Euros is about right for there considering the irish bands they have there.
    Great spot had many a memorable night there. They spend 1000s on advertising and run a good shop. Don't want to pay it and be surrounded by foreign wimmins? Then go somewhere else

Years ago was standing on a stool with me then Swedish mot swaying to a live band and topping up our glasses with a little bottle of vodka we shook in and a member of staff twigged it. They waved a disapproving finger from side to side and just laughed.

Great bands, open late every night, great location .... they have it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

worded wrote: »
    8 Euros is about right for there considering the irish bands they have there.
    Great spot had many a memorable night there. They spend 1000s on advertising and run a good shop. Don't want to pay it and be surrounded by foreign wimmins? Then go somewhere else

Years ago was standing on a stool with me then Swedish mot swaying to a live band and topping up our glasses with a little bottle of vodka we shook in and a member of staff twigged it. They waved a disapproving finger from side to side and just laughed.

Great bands, open late every night, great location .... they have it all

Lovely anecdote... still doesn't relate to the argument that they're charging extortionate amounts to tourists.

As mentioned, I think forewarned is forearmed. Nip this bullsh*t pricing in the bud, and warn anyone via tripadvisor / social media against drinking in this place and send them on to local bars. Not our turned to eleven, "diddley eye" bollocks.

Darkie Kellys down near Civics has live music on nearly every weekend and I'm sure they're not charging 8 bob! (And no, I don't work for them... It's just somewhere off the top of my head).

So don't give us that "you're paying for the experience" sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

They are though. The tourists want the temple bar experience and they get it here. Owner is happy, and any time I've been inside or passing at any time day or night the place is jammed with people having a good time. This is the Ireland most tourists want to see, so let them have at it. I've directed tourist friends to McNeill's on Capel Street or Cobblestone for music in the past, and nearly all preferred temple bar pubs.

As for 'proper' pub experience or missing out on 'real pubs', that's just romanticised guff. It's a place where you drink and piss and talk ****e, you're not visiting an art gallery or museum ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Temple bar is the cultural quarter of dublin

More culture in a tub of yoghurt ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

They are though. The tourists want the temple bar experience and they get it here. Owner is happy, and any time I've been inside or passing at any time day or night the place is jammed with people having a good time. This is the Ireland most tourists want to see, so let them have at it. I've directed tourist friends to McNeill's on Capel Street or Cobblestone for music in the past, and nearly all preferred temple bar pubs.

As for 'proper' pub experience or missing out on 'real pubs', that's just romanticised guff. It's a place where you drink and piss and talk ****e, you're not visiting an art gallery or museum ffs.

I'm totally with you on this, as an "experience". But tourists shouldn't be paying an arm and a leg just to drink (not even the local) tipple and experience (watered down [sic]) trad music.

It could be an argument that tourists want the local experience, but I feel that Temple Bar definitely isn't it. It's like an exaggerated version of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The market sets the price, if they charge €8 and the place is full to capacity with people buying those pints, then the price is right. If it was empty then they are charging the market too much. If there are enough fools wanting to pay €8, why would it "be nipped in the bud"?, reducing the price would mean they are not maximising profits, and this may surprise some, maximising profits is what being in business is about.

I don't live in Dublin but a couple of months ago I met up with friends for a weekend there, we spent most of our time in Templebar and thoroughly enjoyed it, there was a great buzz around the place, the pubs were full, the music was great, it was our choice to pay the extra premium on pints so I wouldn't knock it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Flippin heck, didn't even spend that much on a pint of Kronenberg, at a table service tourist hotspot, in the middle of Lyon. Some Irish bars really know how to rip people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ireland is a dear hole, and it's getting all celtic tiger again. People will never learn.

I would need to double check but I bought I think it was 6 litres (6x1l bottles) in Aldi a week back for €1.69. More than Spain sure, but hardly unreasonable - might have got a better price too.

Ireland has plenty of ripoff areas, but Aldi and Lidl do a great job helping on the food front. Also to go on a bit of a quick tangent, in Canada one litre of milk is $4.50 (approx €3) if I recall while a 200g pack of standard cheese is $6 (€4) and a large bottle of cream was about $9 (€6). And that's not a matter of 'some places' - it's a minimum pricing model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Only use I've ever had for Templebar is as a shortcut when travelling from Dame street to O'Connell street....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

5l bottles €1.29 in nearly every supermarket

2l bottles 50c in nearly every supermarket

or like many, do you compare the price of a 500ml bottle in a convenience store to a 8l package n a supermarket to make you feel good.

Minimum wage in spain is under €5/hour. In the food industry, wages is the biggest single cost.

So if you lived in Spain and were paid the local rate of wages for your job, the effective cost would actually be higher than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

how much is a litre of fresh pasteurised milk there?

I know plenty of people who have been paying well over €8 per pint of beer for years -in the form of bottles. A longneck at €5.50 works out at €9.47 per pint. Many people are completely blind to this. A longneck at €4.65 is €8 per pint and I know many who would think €4.65 is a decent price in a pub, even though they would rarely pay over a euro for the same bottle in the offie/supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's not far off that for the five litre bottles in Aldi or Lidl. The twelve packs of 500ml are pretty cheap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

What's the issue here? Tourists aren't thick, they go onto Tripadvisor the same way Irish do before they go to Paris (where a pint has been expensive in certain areas for years) or Amsterdam or wherever. They know that they're paying over the odds and they choose to. It's not like they're being bused from the airport to temple bar and told they have to drink there and no where else.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Oh course they have to charge that much - tourists don't drink and would happily sit over a pint for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

€8 is an astronomical rip off and it's a horrible image to give to visitors to our country that we are just too expensive

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/is-this-irelands-most-expensive-pint-pint-of-heineken-for-8-35978055.html

$13 for a bottle of beer in new world trade centre

tourist traps are tourist traps OP

Advertisement