Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€8 a pint?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Just bought 8 litres of water for €1.29.
    Try buying a litre of bottled water in Ireland. W

you know you cant drink the tapwater in spain right?

so thats a drinking tax. here, the price is pretty similar but unless you live in a boil notice area, its a luxury!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

you know you cant drink the tapwater in spain right?

so thats a drinking tax. here, the price is pretty similar but unless you live in a boil notice area, its a luxury!!

The 1970s called, they want their perception of Spain back.

Of course you can drink the tapwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some would say otherwise, depends on region

http://www.expatica.com/es/about/Best-and-worst-cities-for-potable-drinking-water-in-Spain_565059.html
    Palma de Mallorca

Palma de Mallorca is another city on the black list for the quality of water, particularly when it comes to cleanliness and contamination. Additionally, this water is not recommended for drinking due to the poor taste from the high level of mineralisation and because it is very hard water.

There is a huge contrast between the quality of water here and in Las Palmas. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends no more than 25mg/litre of nitrate in our tap water, and in Palma de Mallorca the level just surpassed this at 26mg/litre. While this is only a small amount, it is particularly harmful for children when it reaches their stomach and can cause serious health problems.

Barcelona

Possibly hard to believe, Barcelona is another major city that finds itself on the side of the list for poor quality tap water in Spain. OCU discovered an elevated level of aerobio microorganisms in the water samples from the Catalan city when they were tested. The presence of these microorganisms reveals that the water has been badly disinfected, which in turn signifies that the procedure to turn the water into drinking water has not been carried out correctly. It could also mean, however, that the water has somehow been contaminated along the way from the treatment plant to the homes in the region, including from the pipes inside each property.

Huelva

While it may have been surprising to see some of the cities from the north of the country featuring on the list of bad drinking water, it might not be so surprising to see this city from the region of Andalusia appear on the list as well. And here, the same as in Barcelona, a high level of aerobes was detected due to poor disinfection. As with the Catalan city, it is advisable not to drink the tap water in Huelva either.

Alicante

The quality of tap water in eastern parts of the country is not the best, and it is recommended to consume bottled water instead. In Alicante, ideally you wouldn’t drink the water here or use it for cooking. According to the Hispagua web page, amongst the nutrients found within the tap water from this city are high levels of trihalomethanes, more than the permitted levels for clean drinking water. Consuming the water here could cause problems to your health.

Cres

Possibly the worst quality tap water in Spain is found in Cres. Here, it’s no longer odourless, colourless and tasteless as it should be, and that’s because as well as the usual nutrients found in the water, there are plenty of other substances that shouldn’t be there too. If you live in the Cres area, it is advised not to drink the water nor use it for cooking

There is 23% vat on water here, not sure about spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It doesn't actually matter, the point of the water example is that the cost of living is lower in Spain than in Ireland. That's true whether they can drink their water or not. They also earn an average of 1318 quid a month, which is why prices are lower for things, so the fact that things are cheaper there doesn't mean we are being automatically ripped off either. Economics really should be a compulsory subject in school.

It doesn't actually matter, the point of the water example is that the cost of living is lower in Spain than in Ireland. That's true whether they can drink their water or not.
    The fact that many have to buy drinking water leads to it being a lot cheaper due to economies of scale, you do not see 8L bottles in supermarkets here. Some water there is desalinated stuff and does not taste nice.

Some people love to make out that they/we are really hard done by, with the grass is always greener stuff.

This is why I wanted to know the price of fresh pasteurized milk in Spain, I do not think comparing the 2 is fair, just as I do not think comparing the price of water is fair. Fresh milk is far more popular here so I would expect it to be cheaper due to economies of scale and since refigeration costs would be more in spain.

People keep exagerrating these things, not comparing like with like. I think they sometimes forget they are actually on the internet and that these things are easily checked! years ago it would be a spoofer down the pub -thanfully these spoofers are easily shot down now.

In another thread a guy was claiming dominios pizza is 5 times the price here as in canada (again maybe forgetting this is easily checked). I went onto both site sites and the same first pizzas I checked were €11 here and there. Then he starts comparing discounted special offers on pizza in dominos canada with full price ones here, ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

How does this compare to the tourist hotspots in London, Paris, Rome etc?

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Last time I was in Paris plenty of bars wanted up to ten quid for a pint outside of happy hour. I was at a conference with a large enough group so we used to buy cheap wine and beer in the shop and drink it in the courtyard where we were staying. Personally I couldn't enjoy a pint at that kind of price.

London I can't remember what I was paying for pints although I was around Wembley stadium so probably more than would be normal.

Rome is pretty reasonable but in my experience varies extremely widely from place to place. If you have a view of the Colosseum you pay for the privilege of it pretty handsomely. Normal places were pretty reasonable in my recollection, ordinary Irish prices I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Last time I was in Paris plenty of bars wanted up to ten quid for a pint outside of happy hour. .

Must be quite a while ago - very few places in Paris under a tenner. €12 is the norm.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Last time I was in Paris plenty of bars wanted up to ten quid for a pint outside of happy hour. .

Must be quite a while ago - very few places in Paris under a tenner. €12 is the norm.
    Didn't think it was too long ago, then I checked, it was eleven years ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Compared to Paris and Rome we don't have anywhere near the differential between locals bar and tourist bar - I've paid €4.00 for a pint of lager in one of the worst pubs in D1 within the past 6 months and its only just hitting €8 in the worst tourist trap now; but you can get a 500ml in a Parisians bar for as low as €3 and well over €10 in a tourist trap.

Our base price in locals bars is one of the highest around but our rob-the-tourists ratio isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be.

If you're asked for €8 a pint somewhere - simply go somewhere else. There's pretty close to 950 open licenced premises in Dublin!

• Advertisement

shar01 wrote: »
    Oh course they have to charge that much - tourists don't drink and would happily sit over a pint for the night.
    this is a big factor. My local pub is pretty quiet, it does attract huge groups of foreign students nursing cokes all night, well spread out across loads of seats & tables. Most regulars would be slow enough drinkers too. When of bunch of us meet up there you can see dollar signs in the managers eyes, knowing we will crowd around a small table and lash down the drink. Probably 20 times as profitable per metre squared!

Most of these places like Paris are not likely to attract big drinkers either -there is a certain profit to be made per hour per customer. If they presume everyone will drink a small amount they charge accordingly so big drinkers lose out, and vice versa, the french students from paris might think heading to the pub here is a great cheap option.

Many establishments will charge a blanket % margin on items, which I do not think is wise or fair -since many things are inherently limited on a night out, be it drinking in a pub or cafe or eating out. It can be easier to do though.

e.g. in restaurants I get a bit annoyed to see a large premium lashed onto some set menus as I know fine well the cost difference of say a decent on the boned chicken breast vs a small steak might not be as much (some are fair though). i.e. I would prefer to see a set profit per customer on their meal, rather than a set % markup. So if the steak cost them 2euro more to buy than the chicken I do not think it is fair to charge 10euro more for it.

I have wondered if there are any restaurants who charge an entry/seating fee, and then charge a reasonable price above that for the actual food you eat, e.g. in a chinese restaurant that does takeaway and sit-in, you might theoretically pay 10 euro for your seat & service and then pay takeaway prices from then on, those taking up a seat and only eating a starter do not pay their way (the inbuilt fee is small), and those horsing down loads of food & extras are penalised a lot more.

Most will have this "fee" built into the price, just like online shops with "free delivery" will have it built in. e.g. a bike shop with "free delivery" might sell puncture repair patches for 4euro with "free delivery", really it is 1 euro and 3 for postage and admin. If someone orders 10 sets for 40 euro they are lightweight and so might cost the shop the exact same 3 euro for postage & admin, and so are paying well over the odds for the actual items.

e.g. I was in Java Republic a good while ago and think kopi luwak coffee was 28euro a cup at the time. I think "regular cups" were 2.50 or 2.80, lets say 1/10th the price. Here is an article on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/most-expensive-coffee-in-the-world-1.497430
    A 250g bag of the coffee beans, which will yield about 20 good-sized cups costs €68.49 and the idea is that it is “occasion coffee” to mark a special event, or a gift for the coffee lover in your life. A cup of Kopi Luwak will also be available to buy in the coffee shop, at a specially reduced price €26.59.

"specially reduced price" -wow, what a bargain! Java currently have 227g bags of supposedly decent award winning coffee for 5.75, which is 6.33 per 250g.

Going off their own prices at home the 20cups for 68.49 will cost you 3.42 per cup in beans. Using the same coffee ratio their 6.33/250g would be 32cent per cup. So the difference in price of ingredients is 3.10 (to the home consumer, to them it is likely far less) but they are charging about 24euro more! They have to cover overheads, heating, preperation blah blah, so charging 2.50-3 is understandable if the ingredients cost 32cent (heating & milk etc being more again), but the overheads should be the same regardless. But they are pricing it off similar enough margins which is just stupid, rather than profit per cup. To turn it around if the accountants wanted to make the same amount of money per cup as the kopi luwak they would be charging 26.27 for a cup of normal (yet award winning) coffee.

And yes, I understand holding stock of high price items does not make it the same -but the differences are ludicrous.

It is odd since in pubs tend to do the opposite, this is why I rarely buy premium/expensive beers at home, but do in pubs. e.g the heinken longneck is over 5.50 or so in pubs, but 1 euro or less in offies, while the budvar 500ml bottle is 6 or 6.50, while is 2.50 or 3 in offies. The higher the price in the offie the smaller the markup you often see in pubs.
    L1011 wrote: »
    If you're asked for €8 a pint somewhere - simply go somewhere else.
    People need to learn to ask prices beforehand, publicans take advantage of this odd tradition of never EVER daring to ask prices beforehand, it should be "if you are QUOTED €8 a pint somewhere - simply go somewhere else." too many just ask, get the pint poured, begrudgingly pay the 8euro and leave. Or else those with balls might leave it, leaving some other poor soul to get a scaldy left over pint, or have it poured down the drain which in turn will lead to higher prices due to wastage. In other threads I suggested if you were on a stag or with a big group to go into a pub you know is overpriced, order a huge amount from a manager/owner, enquire about price and leave laughing and tell them why, let them know. I believe pints of Paulaner can still be got for 2euro in a hotel in harcourt street on certain days -cheaper than most offies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

CeilingFly wrote: »

It's possible to pay 5.50 for 50cl beer in Paris, but you have to know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bocon

I don't think tourists see these high prices for pints in Temple Bar as being a rip off. Everybody is well aware of tourist traps for these kind of prices especially when dealing with capital cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hamburg prices last week

33cl Astra pils typically 2.40 in pubs, 1.90 in one dive rock bar

50cl typically 3.20-3.50, i.e. 3.50-3.90 per pint

You can buy a pint in Cork for €3, might aswell compare like with like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You can buy a pint in Cork for €3, might aswell compare like with like
    Then again, Hamburg is about the same size as Dublin and not Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The tourists are worse to pay it.
    Templebar is known as a tourist trap, I wouldn't go to St Peter's in Rome or the Eiffel Tower an complain about the price of food around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

enricoh wrote:
    Was in milan ten years ago and got a round of five longnecks of peroni. E50 and bartender was waiting for a tip. Sod that we said n went on to the next pub. E50 again! Never go to milan op or u'll be permanently outraged!

I can support that, €10 for a warm, plastic 330ml bottle of Heineken. Left immediately.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Then again, Hamburg is about the same size as Dublin and not Cork.

Its Germanys 2nd city. A pint in Birmingham is cheep

Its Germanys 2nd city. A pint in Birmingham is cheep
    Second city sure, but as a city it still would appear more comparable to Dublin than Cork in terms of size and scope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Nothing wrong with €8 a pint considering the music is free and running almost from open to close 7 days a week.

I've been in bland pubs in New York and pints were around €10 and all the bullsh1t tipping that goes with it.

jasper100 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with €8 a pint considering the music is free and running almost from open to close 7 days a week.

I've been in bland pubs in New York and pints were around €10 and all the bullsh1t tipping that goes with it.
    To be honest I'd rather do without the music in a lot of Dublin pubs, or rather having it blaring in my ear as I'm having to roar across the table to those I'm with at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon.

I've a cousin that works in a pub in Manhattan, a 5-10 minutes walk from Times Square and lives in Queens. Haven't been over in a few years but if I recall it was $4 per bottle and I think $5-6 per pint (plus an implied $1 tip that in NY most places give back to you in the form of a free bottle when you've tipped the equivalent of the cost of a price of beer, e.g. $3 beer bottle + $1 tip three times over and you get a freebie). Of course with the scope of NY it has a lot of extremely posh, high end places that would charge that easily and formal restaurants would likely be more, but in terms of regular pubs $12+ pints are something I've not actually ever come across over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

It doesn't actually matter, the point of the water example is that the cost of living is lower in Spain than in Ireland. That's true whether they can drink their water or not. They also earn an average of 1318 quid a month, which is why prices are lower for things, so the fact that things are cheaper there doesn't mean we are being automatically ripped off either. Economics really should be a compulsory subject in school.

Look up implicit cartelization,predatory pricing etc ...you don't seem to have a great grasp of the old economics yourself...why are there price disparities for a pint throughout Ireland ...Dublin even... comparing Irish and Spanish wages is way too simplistic....and ironically these pubs are aimed at tourists anyway.
    Id also venture a guess that wages are not noticeably higher in these pubs than in the rest of the country...properties probably mortgage free...most fixed and variable costs in line with the more reasonably priced businesses in the city...its price gouging pure and simple.Stop being an apologist for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

To be honest I'd rather do without the music in a lot of Dublin pubs, or rather having it blaring in my ear as I'm having to roar across the table to those I'm with at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon.

I've a cousin that works in a pub in Manhattan, a 5-10 minutes walk from Times Square and lives in Queens. Haven't been over in a few years but if I recall it was $4 per bottle and I think $5-6 per pint (plus an implied $1 tip that in NY most places give back to you in the form of a free bottle when you've tipped the equivalent of the cost of a price of beer, e.g. $3 beer bottle + $1 tip three times over and you get a freebie). Of course with the scope of NY it has a lot of extremely posh, high end places that would charge that easily and formal restaurants would likely be more, but in terms of regular pubs $12+ pints are something I've not actually ever come across over there.

So a bottle was $5 including tip a few years ago. A bottle being around 0.58 of a pint. So a pint worked out around $8.62.

Not that it matters, I was there recently and €10 seemed to be the going rate anywhere touristy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

southstar wrote: »
    properties probably mortgage free...most fixed and variable costs in line with the more reasonably priced businesses in the city...its price gouging pure and simple.Stop being an apologist for this

Odd way of looking at a multi-million euro investment. You don't think it's reasonable for a business to make a return on its capital?

By the same logic would you expect a taxi-driver in a fully-paid up Merc to charge less than a taxi driver scooting around in 5 year old Skoda on finance?

jasper100 wrote: »
    So a bottle was $5 including tip a few years ago. A bottle being around 0.58 of a pint. So a pint worked out around $8.62.

Not that it matters, I was there recently and €10 seemed to be the going rate anywhere touristy.

Ahem... "I've a cousin that works in a pub in Manhattan, a 5-10 minutes walk from Times Square and lives in Queens. Haven't been over in a few years but if I recall it was $4 per bottle and I think $5-6 per pint" ;)

Of course you'd pay more in somewhere touristy than a normal pub there though, that's a given. You got had pretty badly on that price, you'd even be able to go for fancy cocktails in good spots in NY for $12 a drink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ahem... "I've a cousin that works in a pub in Manhattan, a 5-10 minutes walk from Times Square and lives in Queens. Haven't been over in a few years but if I recall it was $4 per bottle and I think $5-6 per pint" ;)

Of course you'd pay more in somewhere touristy than a normal pub there though, that's a given. You got had pretty badly on that price, you'd even be able to go for fancy cocktails in good spots in NY for $12 a drink.

Cost of living in New York City 2017

1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500ml or 1pt.) $8
    Source: https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/new-york-city

That's just in an average neighbourhood pub. It's fair to say you wouldn't find that price in many tourist areas.

Graham wrote: »

That's just in an average neighbourhood pub. It's fair to say you wouldn't find that price in many tourist areas.
    New York City Prices - https://www.priceoftravel.com/6/united-states/new-york-city-prices

Pint of beer: Especially in Manhattan, getting drunk is expensive. Self-catering cans start around $1 each if you look around. $5.00 - 7.00

Rudy's Bar, Times Square reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/rudys-bar-and-grill-new-york
    Felix P. - This is my favorite bar in NYC. It's right near Times Square (44th & 9th Ave) and the prices are unbeatable here. Pitchers of the house brew are $8 (BudLight & Budweiser $10). Can't beat those prices. You can get a beer + shot for $5. I always get the hat dance: tequila shot + beer for $6. They have plenty of options for bottled beer as well and nothing is higher than $5.

Rebecca H - They have like tons of draught choices, TONS. And the best part about it is that most of them are cheap AF. In fact their own beer comes in a pint, it's $3. They also have PITCHERS for like $8 or something like that. Single digits. Holy **** balls.

Julianne G - I love coming to Rudy's! Cheap beer starting at $3 a glass, $8 a pitcher, beer&shot specials, free hot dogs with every drink and up to 4 free with every pitcher. They also play great music! It's a dive so expect a long bar with booths covered in duct tape. And you have to pay in cash.

Jimmy's Corner Manhattan review: https://www.yelp.com/biz/jimmys-corner-new-york
    Jay P - Hell of a place. Walked in and people were talking sports trivia and I immediately knew I'd come to the right place. Draft beer was $3-$4 and the bartender was very friendly.

TJD - Beers @ $3-$4-$4.5 [note: picture in this review confirms these are on tap]... Poured Drinks/Shots @ $4.5-$5... All day long. ALL DAY LONG

La Contrada East Village - $7 pints (except Guinness for $8) - http://lacontrada.nyc/assets/wine---beer-summer-2017-(1).pdf

Punch, Broadway area - $8 pints, bottles as low as $4 - https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/DPrND6SuS-3cXFU08bH8Pw/o.jpg

And of course all of that is before mentioning happy "hour" which most pubs do and which often last 2-3 hours, where they knock another $2-3 off the price of either all beers or a select range. A pitcher typically comes to about 3 pints.

I took all of 5 minutes to find and all are in busy Manhattan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Same proportion of bars in Dublin are cheap. There's ~3.50 pints in pubs visible from the 'Camden mile'.

The Gogarty is an egregious outlier; the egregious outlier in NY is going to be well over a tenner a pint; it would have been the same in London before Sterling crashed (as I doubt its over £9). Ditto pretty much *every* Northern European capital.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »

That same site for dublin has

1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500ml or 1pt.) €5.86

I certainly don't pay that in my "neighbourhood pub"

Galway 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500ml or 1pt.) €5.51
    Cork 1 beer in neighbourhood pub (500ml or 1pt.) €5.43

I can still get a pint of paulaner for 2euro in a fancyish hotel bar in leeson street. So playing the same game as others here -but in reverse, then 5.5% at 568ml is equivalent to 2.2 longnecks of 4.3% heineken, so like paying 91cent a bottle.

Advertisement