Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for total novice

Options
  • 28-07-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey guys. My old computer has decided to give way and just looking for some advice as to what I can/should do. I don't know if it's a harddrive failure yet but basically I cannot get by the startup repair screen (after it brings up the windows loading files message). So I don't know, seems like it might have seen its day.

Seeing if I can salvage anything from it and get back up and running asap!

This is the case that I have - http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_00001616

And the monitor I can hold on to as well. Both need an upgrade but I don't want to go too crazy on the spend.

Everything else I guess needs replacing. For the past few months it started to make this whirring noise which didn't fill me with confidence that the thing would last.

Spend-wise I'm hoping to not go above 500/600. I was hoping to get back in to gaming at some point but maybe that won't be happening with that budget. Also will be running Plex media server.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Should have included this:

1. What is your budget? €500-€600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? General use/running Plex media server/possibly some games but not essential

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? See above

5. Do you need a monitor? See above

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Debit card/credit card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

would you still be able to use the PSU and hard drive or do you reckon that is what is making the noise?
    also is your memory DDR3 or DDR4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Do you have a backup of your important files? I wouldn't give up on it just yet, assuming the computer was still meeting your needs before it failed.

Advertisement