Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get insurance

Options
  • 29-07-2017 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

ive just got my learner permit a few days ago. ive rang most insurance companys and all of them wont qoute me and im going under my mothers insurance. they keep saying im too young or else the car is too old. its a 1.4 2003 ford focus. what will i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 james1233

How old are you?

im 17

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tried a broker?
    You're very high risk and this...

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

Stick with driving lessons with a driving instructor and pass your test - then it will only cost several grand

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Most insurance companys wont insurance cars to learner driver if car is old.my brother tired to get insurance on a 1 litre starlet only quote he got was for 5k that was going under my mams insurance.I dunno of any advice i can give u im afraid very hard for young ppl to get insurance if u do it costs a bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 82,790 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With a learner permit a few days and your age you would be just about the highest possible risk of new driver in the country. You would be better going the route of doing 10-15 lessons with a driving school and then do the test.

• Advertisement

thanks everyone but i have the licence about a month. do you know any particular companys i should try?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

james1233 wrote: »
    thanks everyone but i have the licence about a month. do you know any particular companys i should try?

On your own car? Realistically, forget about it. Get your mam to insure you on her car as a named driver, spend a few years building up a bit of NCB credit, then try again.

Try a broker, chances are not gonna happen - you are an accident waiting to happen not driving a dual control car and insurance companies don't want that

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

My brother was driving a bike for a year before that so doesnt matter how long you have it plus he was older than you.Id say its your age plus its 1.4 which is near the max engine size you can drive on a learner permit i think

endacl wrote: »
    On your own car? Realistically, forget about it. Get your mam to insure you on her car as a named driver, spend a few years building up a bit of NCB credit, then try again.

thats what im doing but nobody seems to qoute me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

My brother was driving a bike for a year before that so doesnt matter how long you have it plus he was older than you.Id say its your age plus its 1.4 which is near the max engine size you can drive on a learner permit i think

Motorbike no claims have zero effect on car insurance. It will not be taken into account in calculating a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

thats what im doing but nobody seems to qoute me

Ah. I read you wrong. Get your mam to phone her insurance company. You can't add yourself to her policy, what with it being her policy. And not yours.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/car-insurance-prices-learner-drivers.html

Seriously, save the money and spend it on lessons and get your test passed

endacl wrote: »
    Ah. I read you wrong. Get your mam to phone her insurance company. You can't add yourself to her policy, what with it being her policy. And not yours.

yeah. my mam rings them and they deny her a qoute thats what i mean sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

Try AXA online. My son is insured on our car with AXA. The car is a 1.4 and 17 years old. He has his full licence now but we insured him on a provisional at 17. We were with Aviva when my daughter started driving and we got a deal for six months which included 10 free driving lessons. My niece is on her parents car with Aviva.

conndeal wrote: »
    Try AXA online. My son is insured on our car with AXA. The car is a 1.4 and 17 years old. He has his full licence now but we insured him on a provisional at 17. We were with Aviva when my daughter started driving and we got a deal for six months which included 10 free driving lessons. My niece is on her parents car with Aviva.

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Insurance in Ireland really needs to be brought back to the drawing board. It's actually a hindrance to people becoming better drivers due to young people (and even experienced drivers) not being able to afford it and thereby not getting driving experience.
    My wife learned to drive in Australia, although she was 28 at the time, in a 4 litre car. She had no driving experience and would have been a very bad driver at the time. Insurance is optional in Australia so she didn't require it legally but she still got third party insurance for the equivalent of €300.
    Making insurance optional in Ireland might give the insurance companies the shake up they need to reduce their prices. That and a crackdown on insurance fraud would go a long way to improving the situation.

aido79 wrote: »
    Insurance is optional in Australia so she didn't require it legally but she still got third party insurance for the equivalent of €300. .
    In Oz the car price includes 3rd party in case you kill or hurt someone, doesn't cover anything else - bit like the Motor Insurance Bureau

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

fritzelly wrote: »
    In Oz the car price includes 3rd party in case you kill or hurt someone, doesn't cover anything else - bit like the Motor Insurance Bureau

No it doesn't. You are thinking of rego. It's not the same as having third party insurance as it only covers damage to property or personal injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Wow, we really need to replicate Australia's system! I can't get enough driving experience to make driving second nature (which is what you need to pass the test), because as a learner I cannot afford both a car AND insurance. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Simply pass the test first with the instructors car first, Then look for a car and insurance

Advertisement