Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good cheep beer ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭satguy

Aldi do a nice beer, comes in 500ml bottles (six pack) €7 or so. It's called Rheinbacher and is very nice to drink, it stays cold longer due to the bottle.

hPqI8kJl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go into drinkstore and raid their €1 bin, some nice craft in there most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What's a good decent tipple for a cheap night in?I've tried a few from lidl excelsior and peplenbacker not bad for the price ..anyone tried aldi beer any suggestions?

Let's face it. pretty much any cheap beer will be fine. It's all down to personal tastes. I know some on here only like to drink beer that's been squeezed from a top hat via a woman's red shoe and pay for the prevililige but in the end it's all just water with a wee bit of alcohol in it.

Chill most beers and they taste the same. Anything from Lidl will be fine. I drink harp, tenants, carling, heineken, Stella, bud, etc, etc,... after a few they ALL taste the same.

Keep meaning to try the Asda/Tesco own brand 4% lager as it's cheaper and I guarentee it will taste the same in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Moosehead Pale Ale. €1.59 in McHugh's and it's really tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dutch Gold. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

bazz26 wrote: »
    Dutch Gold. :pac:

My mate's just promised me a few from his first brew-your-own kit, and I'll be fierce disappointed if it tastes anything like Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just bought 3 for a tenner...a high wire grapefruit, a bottle of joker IPA, and a can of Brewdog India IPA.

Sorry I thought you said decent beer, not cheap beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I have a very bad taste in alcohol and will only drink Bulmers and then move onto vodka and coke

I started out drinking Heineken/Miller but grew out of it. I then moved onto drinking Guinness but hated It.

I got sick after drinking 6 bottles of Kopperberg mixed fruits and won't touch the stuff again. I'd drink Orchard Thieves and Stella Cidre as there always in Arenas/stadiums. In England Strongbow is piss

More into alcohol for Its effects than it's taste tbh. Being a happy drunk is awesome but I only do it in moderation nowadays

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just bought 3 for a tenner...a high wire grapefruit, a bottle of joker IPA, and a can of Brewdog India IPA.

Sorry I thought you said decent beer, not cheap beer.

Why...only 3?

And...why 3 different ones?

Why...only 3?

And...why 3 different ones?

I have a low alcohol tolerance. Hangovers like you wouldn't believe. Youngest is 8 and will "call in" at 7 in the morning looking for breakfast (with a hangover...don't think so!!).

I always try a few different beers on a Saturday night but I have a few "go to beers" as well. Trouble brewing graffiti pale ale being one of them.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    I have a low alcohol tolerance. Hangovers like you wouldn't believe. Youngest is 8 and will "call in" at 7 in the morning looking for breakfast (with a hangover...don't think so!!).

I always try a few different beers on a Saturday night but I have a few "go to beers" as well. Trouble brewing graffiti pale ale being one of them.

8 years old and waking you fo breakfast? I'd be telling him to make his own breakfast if he wants food at such a ridiculous hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I tried Mythos when I was in Greece a few years ago and liked it. My oh saw it in Lydl there a while ago and got some. I think it's cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Patww79 wrote: »
    The decent enough Carlsberg Aldi knock off. Though their Stella knock off Saint Etienne isn't too bad. My local sells 12 packs for about €12.50. A bit too sweet and not the best but if you're looking for a poor man's route to sloshedville you won't find much better. Get a few decent ales to start and you'll barely taste the awful piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Zywiec by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

If my next post is regarding liver transplants..yous all no what happened :-)

8 years old and waking you fo breakfast? I'd be telling him to make his own breakfast if he wants food at such a ridiculous hour.

Her....that's why she calls in. At her age I was making frys for myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zywiec by a country mile

I love listening to people trying to pronounce this!

I'll give a shout for Aldi's St. Etienne, my tipple of choice for cheap beer for many years now. Fine taste, not very strong tasting, but enough alcohol to get you drunk, and it's cheap, like €13 for 12. It's all about the small bubbles.

Still though, i'm waiting for some off licence to start importing Jupiler... nectar of the Gods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I love listening to people trying to pronounce this!

"Sheveck" is how I pronounce it, though the Poles are probably laughing at me. :D
    I'll give a shout for Aldi's St. Etienne, my tipple of choice for cheap beer for many years now. Fine taste, not very strong tasting, but enough alcohol to get you drunk, and it's cheap, like €13 for 12. It's all about the small bubbles.

Still though, i'm waiting for some off licence to start importing Jupiler... nectar of the Gods!

Meet your brother. I spent a good few weekends in Belgium over the years, usually in the Flemish areas close to Eindhoven etc, and found this a very very pleasant beer.

I still can't get my head around the fact that it hasn't been made widely available over here yet.

In fact I don't know if it's available at all in Ireland, I've certainly never seen it on sale in any offies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Lomza Export is lovely beer, it's nearly 6% and it's only €1:65 for a 500ml bottle in Tescos.

• Advertisement

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    "Sheveck" is how I pronounce it, though the Poles are probably laughing at me. :D

Still hard to phonetically spell it, but it's Jhev-e-its.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Meet your brother. I spent a good few weekends in Belgium over the years, usually in the Flemish areas close to Eindhoven etc, and found this a very very pleasant beer.

I still can't get my head around the fact that it hasn't been made widely available over here yet.

In fact I don't know if it's available at all in Ireland, I've certainly never seen it on sale in any offies.

It's not. I've searched and searched, and even requested orders of it, but no one is willing to take the plunge on a European "cheap" beer. It really is so nice, it's a crime it's not over here. I have heard that there's a pub in Killarney that has it on tap, car will have the NCT in a week and i believe it will require a trip to confirm!

Other than that, i found a site that will deliver 48 250ml bottles for €60... Not a bargain, but tempting all the same!

Jupiler is piss, that said 99% of the beers mentioned in here are piss.

You guys looking for taste or just something to skull 6 cans down with?

Patww79 wrote: »

You can get some online if you really want it. Sterling is pretty crap at the moment so a good time to buy. I use my addresspal

https://www.beermerchants.com/jupiler-belgian-pils-5-2-33cl-bottle/

RasTa wrote: »
    Jupiler is piss, that said 99% of the beers mentioned in here are piss.

You guys looking for taste or just something to skull 6 cans down with?

And i personally think that all craft beer is piss. Funny that, opinions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Drank Tyskie on a trip to Poland and have been buying it on and off in Aldi ever since. Very tasty cheap beer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Agricola wrote: »
    Drank Tyskie on a trip to Poland and have been buying it on and off in Aldi ever since. Very tasty cheap beer imo.

Try it from a Polenez shop.

Let me know if you find it an improvement. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I haven't seen Miller in years. I used to like it. Someone mentioned it earlier, can you still get it?

Advertisement