Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birch ply for bed or other wood

• 29-07-2017 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I was going to make a contemporaary bed frame from birch ply .. .. mainly the ends and the external rails, internal bits could be anything available.

Is there an issue with formaldehyde emissions in a bedroom..

If i was to not use birch ply and use regular wood what is a good choice - ash or american oak.

Intention is to build two single beds and bunk them with a suitable fastener so ends should be strong with good stability overall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

G-Man wrote: »

Is there an issue with formaldehyde emissions in a bedroom..

Where would formaldehyde be coming from?
    If you mean formaldehyde emissions from oil based varnish curing that would be gone in a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Where would formaldehyde be coming from?
    If you mean formaldehyde emissions from oil based varnish curing that would be gone in a week or so.

I thought the ply was bonded with some sort of glues....and they would be slowly gassing off for a long time......

Maybe i am wrong.... quite confident to go ahead now. .. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i don't know about birch ply but mdf is lethal stuff for formaldehyde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ply is known to emit VOC s including formaldehyde. Apparently the only answer is to seal it with polyurethane and the gasses dissipate with time. It would certainly be a lot less expensive than using hardwoods - do you intend glueing 19mm ply together to get the upright posts ? I've made a few beds and assuming you are going to use knock down fittings of some kind, metal dowels with screw in bolts are by far superior to the other 'clip together ' systems.

Advertisement