Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au pair stories, the good, the bad, the cray cray!

Options
  • 29-07-2017 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any au pair stories? Tales of being an au pair, or having an au pair? Good, bad, Spill the beans!

I'll start! We had a lovely first au pair, real dote. Very kind, loved kids, great craic, easy going. Mad about her. Her family came to visit, we visited them. All lovely. But nice stories don't make entertaining reading now do they! ;)

Next girl was a near miss for us. She told us she was in the city already, looking for another family because the dad lost his job and they didn't need an au pair anymore. We met her, seemed nice, met the dad in the family, he sang her praises. All grand, made arrangements for her to move in the following weekend. I sent a message to arrange a time a couple of days in advance. Heard nothing. Phoned the next day, no answer. Another message... just nothing. I was worried then, felt a bit responsible for her in case something happened, so I called up to the house of the other family. The mum tells me I was not the first to call up that week, and that I had a lucky escape. ??? I asked what she meant and she said she was nuts... a pathological liar, and was cruel to the children. :eek: "But your husband sang her praises, said she was great!". "Well, we wanted to get rid of her fast!"

One more from me... this one is about a family. So, this one wet drippy Friday evening, an au pair from up the road calls to see the au pair staying with us. I answered the door, she was soaked. I went off to get her some spare clothes, and a cuppa and left them in by the fire for a chat. I asked what she was up to for the weekend, just small talk , and she told me the family were gone away for the weekend without her. She went on anyway, and it turns out they had left her in the house alone, and basically locked her in. They turned on the partset alarm and didn't give her the code. So she had climbed out the upstairs window to get out!

I was shocked anyway, but she seemed to think this was normal. I asked her to give her family a call and ask them what they thought... she called her mum, and she was on a flight home on the Sunday.

Advertisement