Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed - Possible issue

Options
  • 29-07-2017 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I recently went sale agreed on a dream property out in the country.

Got the pre-purchase survey done, and the results have me worried.

Building was constructed circa 2006 in timber frame with external outer leaf wall in 100mm concrete block and rendered externally in plain plaster finish.

Foundation is traditional concrete strip foundations. In his report he mentioned that the external walls had vertical and horizontal cracks on one side of the house, possibly due to shrinkage of the timber frame, inadequate wall thickness, or more likely due to ground movement.

Everything else in the house was spot on, he couldn't speak more highly of it, but the cracks are an issue, and warrants further inspection. He said it could not move another mm in 25 years, or it could be something much more serious.

I would hate to walk away from this property, I'd love yo hear some advice on how to deal with this? Surveyor gave an estimate of €10-15k for foundation repairs if that was actually the issue. How would be the best way to approach this situation with the vendor/estate agent?

Best regards,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Vendor is going to say it won't move again and you'll assume it's pyrite on roller skates, there's not much you can do other than try an negotiate a discount which could be difficult. Personally if it was the dream home I'm run with it and keep some money aside incase repairs are needed down the line. Just my approach.

Obviously do try and negotiate down a bit but don't expect much. In fact if they're too forthcoming with a discount, you know to walk away!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Gadge wrote: »
    Hi there.

I recently went sale agreed on a dream property out in the country.

Got the pre-purchase survey done, and the results have me worried.

Building was constructed circa 2006 in timber frame with external outer leaf wall in 100mm concrete block and rendered externally in plain plaster finish.

Foundation is traditional concrete strip foundations. In his report he mentioned that the external walls had vertical and horizontal cracks on one side of the house, possibly due to shrinkage of the timber frame, inadequate wall thickness, or more likely due to ground movement.

Everything else in the house was spot on, he couldn't speak more highly of it, but the cracks are an issue, and warrants further inspection. He said it could not move another mm in 25 years, or it could be something much more serious.

I would hate to walk away from this property, I'd love yo hear some advice on how to deal with this? Surveyor gave an estimate of €10-15k for foundation repairs if that was actually the issue. How would be the best way to approach this situation with the vendor/estate agent?

Best regards,

G.

Answer is in your own message. Further inspection warranted. Get the studies done. You need to know in financial terms what you might be facing and then make the call. Don't buy with your heart. Buy with your head. I say this as someone who didnt get a follow up survey done on ground conditions (300e only) and nearly cost me 15k extra 6 months later

Advertisement