Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ's overturned on appeal

• 29-07-2017 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

DJ Mike is an absolute bastard! Sorry could not resist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Bar the annual list of appeals I don't believe there would be any more information on such officially recorded, the tables just list number of appeals and the categories they belong too aswell as if affirmed, reversed, struck out etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is there any league tables for the DJ's that are most overturned on appeal?

I suspect there would be a few familiar names high up the list.

Why would you want this information? I mean Judges are human so will occasionally get things wrong. Besides, given that there is only really a defence appeal, a judge could avoid appeals, if such was his or her wont, by being incredibly lenient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Why would you want this information? I mean Judges are human so will occasionally get things wrong. Besides, given that there is only really a defence appeal, a judge could avoid appeals, if such was his or her wont, by being incredibly lenient!

It would however be comforting to know what judge has the leaset amount over turned which would install the utmost confidence in said judge. Just like a TripAdvisor review you wouldn't go to the place that have the lowest stars. Sorry for the reference it was all I could think of comparing it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This may be down more to the disparity of reporting between courts or the type of case than quality of judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Or to the volume of cases coming before the particular court in which he sits. The more cases you hear in the district court, the more appeal are likely to go from your court to the circuit court, and the more appeals that go to the circuit court then the more decisions that will be overturned.

The absolute number of appeals, and the absolute number of reversals, is irrelevant. All that could be meaningful would the proportion of decisions appealed, and the proportion of decisions reversed. And even then you'd have to control for the type of cases coming before the judge concerned; there might be more likely to be appeals in criminal matters, for example, than in civil. (Or the other way around.)

I'm pretty sure that nobody is published analyses of this kind.

Advertisement