Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asked to move to another unit

Options
  • 29-07-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi all,
    i am in a very strange strange situation in work.
    i have been on hols and before coming back i received an email to ask me to move to another unit for a week...i wasnt needed in that unit for all week so i informed my line manager which sent me back to my unit. all my staff was really surprised to see me back as all of them knew that i have been moved to another unit.
    had to fly back to my country as my grandmother passed away...informed my line manager of me coming back after 3 days of missing work due to funeral. she asked me to stay home over the week, not to rush in work and come back on monday.
    on monday when i came back my manager asked me if i dont want to move to another unit...i said no.
    after one day she pulled me on a side and she said that all staff was unhappy with me that i am a problem for the unit and i have to move.
    i really felt bad about it, i informed her that due to our conversation i cant stay in work went to dr and took med cert stress related work for one day and a half.
    recevied an email from the op manager to ask me to move to another unit and report to another manager until she will do the return to work form with me.
    while i was missing another staff was brought in to replace me that manager said she is brilliant and everybody likes her.
    i am really concerned that the plan behind this is just to move me another unit and because i didnt want the manager is trying to find problems to force me...
    any suggestions to fight these?????
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Does your contract specify that you work for a particular unit? Or does being moved to another unit violate the terms of your contract (e.g. does your wage or salary change, or do your contractually-defined place of work or job duties change significantly)? If not, I can't see how you'd have any leverage here; the company can move you around within the organization to address business needs or resolve interpersonal issues if they choose to so long as they don't unilaterally change the terms of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mireasa

thks so much for reply.
    there is a mobility policy in the handbook which says the we can be moved within reasonable distance...
    is it fair to be moved and brought someone else instead?
    as far as i know no one was moved if they didnt agree?
    they were moved if the position wasnt there anymore...
    but ofcourse i will be the exemption of the rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

mireasa wrote: »
    but ofcourse i will be the exemption of the rule

Not sure why you think you're special.

The supervisor has seen a problem and is trying to fix it.

Why do you want to fight to stay in the unit?
    Why do you think the supervisor wants to move you?

He has informally raised an issue that your colleagues don't like working with you. If you think your supervisor in telling lies and just moving you around for no reason (I doubt this btw) then talk to HR.

Not sure why you think you're special.

The supervisor has seen a problem and is trying to fix it.

I am the supervisor.
    Before going on hols there was no problem. No staff complains. Suddenly working just 3 days in my unit i became a problem. is just one girl that she feels that she needs no guidelines as she knows everything that was in the managers office 10 days per day...
    all of them are willing to put it down on the paper for HR.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were you moved from one location to another?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Were you moved from one location to another?

I was indeed after the manager said that i am a problem for the unit and she wants me moved to another unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If there's a mobility policy, and I know people that have been moved after 10 years in a section against their will, I don't think you can do much about it.

I am the supervisor.

I mean your supervisor or your line manager as you called it.

all of them are willing to put it down on the paper for HR.

As I said, if you feel wronged let it go to HR. IF all the others are wrong. Otherwise up sticks and go to the other unit.

Birneybau wrote: »
    If there's a mobility policy, and I know people that have been moved after 10 years in a section against their will, I don't think you can do much about it.

there was no one moved against their will...only if the position wasnt there anymore they had to be moved or made redundant...almost no one made redundant...moved to a convenient unit for the employee...

there was no one moved against their will...only if the position wasnt there anymore they had to be moved or made redundant...almost no one made redundant...moved to a convenient unit for the employee...

Taking the responses you've received so far, do you have any other questions on this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was indeed after the manager said that i am a problem for the unit and she wants me moved to another unit.

How far away is the new location from the old one?

Stheno wrote: »
    How far away is the new location from the old one?

5 km longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

All about Intent

If transfer motivated by necessary or exigent organisational demands....fine.

If it was done to penalise you, when you haven't been officially investigated or found guilty of any alleged misconduct then you have been wronged and have a case against employer.
    Make sure you get in writing/ email or taped that it is a punative transfer.

Advertisement