Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Shaped Bookshelf

• 29-07-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Im looking to get something like this as a gift
    whiteboatbookcase1.jpg

They are available in the UK, but nowhere seems to ship to Ireland, its all UK only.

Its £150 for a 2m tall version. I have seen some places with boat bookshelves, but they are all flat backed, i.e. not boat shaped.

Im just wondering if it would be possible to get something like this made by a cabinet maker here for approximately the same price ~€200?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Howdy,

Im looking to get something like this as a gift
    whiteboatbookcase1.jpg

They are available in the UK, but nowhere seems to ship to Ireland, its all UK only.

Its £150 for a 2m tall version. I have seen some places with boat bookshelves, but they are all flat backed, i.e. not boat shaped.

Im just wondering if it would be possible to get something like this made by a cabinet maker here for approximately the same price ~€200?

Any thoughts?
    Here's the thing a one off would prob cost 500 but 10 of them could be done for about 1500-2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

Try hegartys.ie/portland-boat bookcase or try amazon.co.uk and get it sent to northern ireland via parcel motel worth a try.
    On donedeal ritchie, cork 087-2627486 look good, hand made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yeah 500 is probably a bit much to be honest Bonzo, cheers for giving me an approximate guide price though!

Thanks Robert, those ones are flat bottomed (or backed in this case as they are upright!) - i was looking for something more boat shaped, ending up in a V at the keel like a boat.

I would attempt myself, except for the lack of skills and tools (more so the skills!). Potentially could design a frame and get it CNCed, which would leave with trying to attached the planking without making a complete arse of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Could try contacting Meitheal Mara in Cork. Great community project which makes boats and bookshelves. They have a few shown on their website which are similar but might be able to build a custom one for you.
    http://meithealmara.ie/boat-building-woodcraft/

Advertisement