Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMcQ..., some things never change.

Options

Comments

Not got a lot of time for the man but he's right though re: attitudes towards Armstrong vs the other dopers ie Good dopers and Bad dopers. You see it to this day , if Bertie or Valverde were British or American they'd not be held in the same regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I started reading it but them I remembered that I don't give a monkeys what he thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

I couldn't resist picking out two gems.

'I read just a few days ago where Andrei Greipel was quoted as saying doping in cycling finished 2007 or 2008. I played a large part in that and I am proud of that. '

Good man Pat, your honorary degree from NUI is surely on the way soon. I'm amazed Fianna Fail haven't got him to run for TD, he has all the right attributes.

'Perhaps Armstrong was the most aggressive, perhaps he gained the most, and so maybe it is only fair that he took the biggest fall. But at the end of the day, he was no different from the rest. We now know virtually everyone was using drugs, and so everyone’s performance went up.'

Fair enough, if you read thenroght books you will see that a few like Verinque and Pantani were also nasty pieces of work but sorry Pat, I didnt realise 'the rest' also used bribes and intimidation to cover up their doping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have some concerns with all the whistleblowers that we have in pro cycling today. I think whistleblowers are fine – in sports, in industry, in government; they should give their information to the proper authorities and then go away. But there are too many would-be whistleblowers in cycling today who just want to settle old grudges, and continue to act without really changing or making things any better. I won’t mention any names here, but there are clearly some prominent ex-riders who sit squarely in this camp.

Ever the politician, and still defending Lance and hitting out at a few people on twitter who have decided f*ck it, why not tell the truth.

Him and Bertie (Ahern) could be cut from the same cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Doc07 wrote: »
    'Perhaps Armstrong was the most aggressive, perhaps he gained the most, and so maybe it is only fair that he took the biggest fall. But at the end of the day, he was no different from the rest. We now know virtually everyone was using drugs, and so everyone’s performance went up.
    Armstrong is treated differently because even with the FBI, and the USADA investigations he didn't fess up. He still hasn't come completely clean. That's why he's been treated differently and more harshly than the others from the same investigation.

Armstrong really isn't the example of someone who is treated differently and unfairly imo, it's Ullrich. He's not invited to the Tour start in Germany, and yet JaJa and Virenque are ligging around the start village every morning...

• Advertisement
Advertisement