Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of pint

Options
  • 29-07-2017 4:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination that the price of a price has creeped up over the last 2/3 weeks especially in and around the Latin quarter? €5.65 for a pint of heniken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it my imagination that the price of a price has creeped up over the last 2/3 weeks especially in and around the Latin quarter? €5.65 for a pint of heniken

Yes.

20c increase was applied by lots of places over the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭spurshero

5.65 seems pricey . Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Yes.

20c increase was applied by lots of places over the last month or so.
    I have noticed the price of drink and food going up all over the place. Definitely 20c on the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cripes, €5.65 for a Heineken?? Guess prices crept up while I was drinking overpriced, mediocre craft beers.

Would normally only have it outside the city when there aren't more options. They don't run over a fiver outside Galway do they?

Remember when 20 quid in your pocket would at least cover one round?

What's a pint of Guinness going for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

spurshero wrote: »
    5.65 seems pricey . Where ?

Don't want to be bad mouthing any place, just think its bad form that the service insdustry tries to squeeze every last penny out of tourists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Don't want to be bad mouthing any place, just think its bad form that the service insdustry tries to squeeze every last penny out of tourists

I wouldn't consider it badmouthing the pub. Nice for people to know if they're about to be overcharged or is the increase just for the festival season which has happened over the last few years

You aren't "bad mouthing" a place by stating what they charged you for something.

I think its bad form when people complain about being gouged while at the same time being complicit with the gougers by refusing to reveal who they are.

The Galway Races start on Monday. Might explain the increase in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

The price of a glass of wine in the Clayton Hotel has conveniently shot up from €6.00 to €6.50 in the last few days. Apparently they state its still competitively priced and fail to acknowledge the timing of this price rise, welcome to Race week 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I was in Coventry a few weeks ago. £4.50 - £4.75 was standard price for pint in most decent places. £4 in the cheaper dives.

And after 11pm an extra 50p was added.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to add balance here, maybe this price increase is to help cover the possibly dramatic business dip that comes straight after the races are finished.

• Advertisement

By dip you mean, return to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

xtradel wrote: »
    The price of a glass of wine in the Clayton Hotel has conveniently shot up from €6.00 to €6.50 in the last few days. Apparently they state its still competitively priced and fail to acknowledge the timing of this price rise, welcome to Race week 2017.

they dropped they're price last year to €5 for pints and glasses of wine. they might do something similar this year hopefully!

I'm a settled tourist. (was a tourist, got stuck and have been here for the guts of 10 years).

And I've got no problems with milking the cash cow that is tourists. They expect it. The towns economy is to a great extent based on it.

Just so long as things calm down again later in the year for locals + blowins.

FWIW, a pint of guinness in de Burgos ... 4.20. No idea what Heinekin / weasel-piss costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wouldn't give a euro for Heineken, also nobody is forced to pay any price, you've a choice to go elsewhere so nobody is being overcharged as someone suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Diageo/ other supplies put €20 extra onto all the kegs so the publican is passing the cost onto Joe Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm a settled tourist. (was a tourist, got stuck and have been here for the guts of 10 years).

And I've got no problems with milking the cash cow that is tourists. They expect it. The towns economy is to a great extent based on it.

Just so long as things calm down again later in the year for locals + blowins.

FWIW, a pint of guinness in de Burgos ... 4.20. No idea what Heinekin / weasel-piss costs.

You should apply for a job with Tourism Ireland
    They'd absolutely love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bazzy wrote: »
    Diageo/ other supplies put €20 extra onto all the kegs so the publican is passing the cost onto Joe Public.

Dunno who told you that. The increase by the brewers was 3/4 euro depending on the product.
    That's around 3c per pint. The pubs could have comfortably covered their margins by adding 10c but most stuck it up 20 and used the breweries as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Dunno who told you that. The increase by the brewers was 3/4 euro depending on the product.
    That's around 3c per pint. The pubs could have comfortably covered their margins by adding 10c but most stuck it up 20 and used the breweries as an excuse.

I was told by a publican relative so have no reason not to believe him

I think he was giving you the publican answer rather than the relative answer.

I've heard thesandeman's information from a different source, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I've heard thesandeman's information from a different source, too.

Yeah, most have gone up 20c in Dublin also.

Pubs could have absorbed it. But I have a feeling that this drink price rise just forced there hand to increase.

You can only absorb so many little increases. This along, with other increases.

I had to laugh at Diaego, they increase prices while they announced a fairly big profit this year.

As said, no one is forcing you to pay it. I am just finding myself sitting in more, upwards of 5€ for a drink is a bit much for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

TallGlass wrote: »
    Yeah, most have gone up 20c in Dublin also.

Pubs could have absorbed it. But I have a feeling that this drink price rise just forced there hand to increase.

You can only absorb so many little increases. This along, with other increases.

I had to laugh at Diaego, they increase prices while they announced a fairly big profit this year.

As said, no one is forcing you to pay it. I am just finding myself sitting in more, upwards of 5€ for a drink is a bit much for myself.

It's the way things are going for all publicly traded companies. Profits need to be increasing year on year.

The increase comes following a 2.6pc fall in pre-tax profit to a measly £2.86bn.

Gotta keep those shareholders happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

FWIW, a pint of guinness in de Burgos ...

De Burgos is still open?? Thought they closed years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its gone up everywhere, not just Galway. Gone up 20p in my town but my local hasnt put beer/guinness up from €4 to €4.20 as the owner can't be bothered dealing with all the small change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I think people who drink different drinks to me, or indeed in different place, deserve everything they get, but my pints should remain cheap especially in the pubs I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

J o e wrote: »
    De Burgos is still open?? Thought they closed years ago!

Such a waste of a beautiful space. Turned around the minute we saw the crowd.

Such a waste of a beautiful space. Turned around the minute we saw the crowd.

Were they wearing their uniforms?

Were they wearing their uniforms?

:-)

It seems to be running on some kind of club-basis.

Something called Galway Folk Club has I think fortnightly gigs - and daily ones during the Fringe Festival. Not quite hippies, but not a blue uniform type in sight either (unless they were all drug-squad!) - except maybe for the barman.

They've done good work on the building, too. The horrible moudly/damp smell is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Electric do 40% off all drinks on Sundays, excluding bank holidays. I went there for a few pints last Sunday and it was nice, the beer garden upstairs was pretty chill and 2.40 for a Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

MadYaker wrote: »
    Electric do 40% off all drinks on Sundays, excluding bank holidays. I went there for a few pints last Sunday and it was nice, the beer garden upstairs was pretty chill and 2.40 for a Guinness.
    Jesus that's a great deal. All drinks are 40% off? Is it all day or night too? Outside of bank hols as you said...

Advertisement