Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 Superthread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

0-0 at Half-Time. Nice had the better of things and Plea went close but Butelle saved well. Toko Ekambi had a good chance through on goal but Souquet got back to make a last ditch tackle. Quite an open game.
    Hows Ballotelli getting on with Nice recently?

He's done well. I watched him against PSG a few weeks ago where Paris won 2-1 and he caused problems. He's not travelled for this game tonight as far as I know.

Not sure what his plans are beyond this season but his time in France has definitely been a success.

Plea scores for Nice. 1-0 to the away side. Seri with the assist. Angers had been having a decent spell prior to that.

Update: Equaliser for Angers as Fulgini from just inside the box blasts in a powerful shot off the underside of the crossbar. 5 minutes plus stoppage time remaining.

Full-Time: It ends Angers 1-1 Nice. I think that's a fair result as both sides had chances to win it. Toko Ekambi missed a few opportunities and it wasn't his best night. Angers keeper Butelle made some good saves. Nice were disappointing in attack. I've seen Saint-Maximin play well of late but tonight he was off form and got substituted late on. Seri had a decent game. I thought Dante was Man of the Match as he gave Toko Ekambi very little and was involved in the build to Plea's goal.

Saturday results:
    Lyon 3-0 Amiens
    Caen P-P Toulouse (waterlogged pitch)
    Lille 2-2 Guingamp
    Nantes 1-1 Dijon
    Rennes 1-2 Metz
    Strasbourg 0-1 Saint-Etienne

Disastrous result for Lille who sit in 19th place. Things appeared to be looking rosy as they led 2-0 heading into stoppage time, only for Junior Alonso to score an O.G. and then Jimmy Briand to get an equaliser for Guingamp in the 93rd minute. Had they won they would have moved out of the relegation zone. What a shambles.

Strasbourg remain in relegation difficulties too after conceding a goal in the last ten minutes to lose to Saint-Etienne. Mathieu Debuchy got the winner for the away side and there's growing calls for him to make Deschamps' squad for Russia due to his great form in 2018.

Bottom side Metz pulled off a shock result beating Europa League-chasing Rennes. Metz are now 5 points off safety and if they survived it would be a stunning escape as they looked dead and buried. Nolan Roux got both their goals and he has been vital for their hopes.

Nantes are also chasing a Europa League spot but were held to a disappointing draw. Kwon Chang-hoon, a player I've taken a real shine to, got the equaliser for Dijon and that's the third game in a row he's scored.

Lyon meanwhile remain in possession of 3rd and the final Champions League spot after a strong win over Amiens. Depay continued his super form with a goal and an assist, and Depay has now been directly involved in each of Lyon’s last 9 goals in Ligue 1 (4 goals, 5 assists).

Tomorrow's games see Montpellier take on Bordeaux, with the home side looking to capitalise on their Europa-League chasing rivals by taking 5th place with a win; after that it's Troyes vs Marseille with the home side fighting to stay up in 18th place, while Marseille are looking to keep pace with Lyon for the Champions League spot; and the evening game is the big one as PSG are home to Monaco with Paris knowing a win will confirm them as Ligue 1 champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Lyon meanwhile remain in possession of 3rd and the final Champions League spot after a strong win over Amiens.

Would you say that Fekir is the best player in Ligue 1 who doesn't play for PSG?

Would you say that Fekir is the best player in Ligue 1 who doesn't play for PSG?

Fekir would be one of the names that would spring to mind. He's been injured since February which is a pity as he was having a great season before that. I don't think Lyon would have been eliminated from the Europa League had he been fit.

Thauvin is another guy that you could make a case for, but when he played against PSG a few weeks back in the Cup and in the league he was disappointing.

The player that I expect PSG to make a move for in the summer is Fabinho. I think he's the guy they would love to have above all others since they need to improve their midfield and he would fit the bill nicely.

• Advertisement

Today's results:
    Montpellier 1-3 Bordeaux
    Troyes 2-3 Marseille

Disappointing result for Montpellier in the battle for Europa League places. Bordeaux's win gives them an outside chance of making Europe.

Troyes remain in the relegation zone after having led 1-0 and 2-1 against Marseille. Thauvin got the winner as his great season continues. Payet provided two assists and is also in super form. Marseille and Lyon are having a nice battle for the last Champions League spot and both are on 66 points.

PSG vs Monaco coming up at 8 as PSG look to confirm themselves as champions with a win. Team news:
    PSG XI: Areola - Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Yuri - Lo Celso, Rabiot, Pastore - Di Maria, Cavani, Draxler.

Monaco XI: Subasic - A. Toure, Raggi, Jemerson, Jorge - Fabinho, Moutinho - Sidibe, Lemar, Rony Lopes - Falcao.

I'd love Monaco to spoil the party but I can't see it, especially without Kamil Glik who will be a big loss. Hope I'm wrong but I sense PSG to win in style with maybe a 3-1 or 4-1 result.

1-0 PSG. Lo Celso taps in after a nice move.

And Cavani makes it 2-0 two minutes later with a great header.

Oh what a lovely lob from Di Maria to make it 3-0. Monaco are being routed. Only twenty minutes gone.

https://twitter.com/MephistoBET/status/985600550694785024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is painful for Monaco.

4-0 now. Another lovely goal from PSG. Lo Celso gets a second. Superb cross from Pastore with the outside of the boot.

Update: The pain continues for Monaco as Sidibe is stretchered off. Deschamps will be worried too as Sidibe is tipped to be France's first choice RB.

• Advertisement

4-1 now. Comeback is on. :pac:

Rony Lopes continues his strong form with a goal after a nice ball from Toure.

Half-Time: Excellent opening half an hour from PSG. They scored some terrific goals and totally dominated Monaco. The last 15 minutes were better from Monaco as they got a goal back through Lopes who then almost got another. Toure is causing problems down the right flank with his crosses. Hard to see PSG not going on to win this though.

5-1 PSG. Di Maria gets his second of the evening. Monaco have had the better of things in the second half but that goal should settle it.

6-1 PSG. Falcao O.G.

Monaco thumped. Still 13 minutes remaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

7 :eek:

7-1. It's a humiliation for Monaco. Sad to see the fairytale from last season end like this. Draxler with the goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Better off without the Neymar circus maybe.

And mercifully for Monaco it's over. PSG are the Champions.

https://twitter.com/Ligue1Conforama/status/985622315101818881

They were much improved this season. They were ruthless in despatching Monaco tonight and have played great football.

It will be interesting to see how Monaco respond to this. They're 4 points clear of Lyon and Marseille. Have to avoid a late collapse and missing out on the Champions League which would be a disaster.

Was watching highlights of Saint-Etienne's win over Strasbourg and Ruffier put in a Man of the Match display, and not for the first time. He's had a great season and if I were Deschamps I'd contact him about getting him back in the French squad. From what I gather, Ruffier let it be known previously that he wasn't interested in being a third choice option.

I've been a Lloris fan for a long time but he's had a disappointing season with several mistakes and I feel he could be a weak link in Russia. It's between Areola and Ruffier for France's best goalkeeper at present imo and I'd lean towards the latter, even though I think Areola has also done well this season.

Les Herbiers defeated Chambly 2-0 in the French Cup Semi-Final tonight that featured two sides from France's third tier. Les Herbiers will be the fifth amateur side to compete in the French final. Their opponents will be either Caen or PSG who play tomorrow.

In other news, it's being reported Thomas Tuchel is set to become PSG's new coach.
    Tuchel had been a target for Bayern Munich as a replacement for the interim manager Jupp Heynckes but indicated he was not interested, with Bayern’s chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, telling German broadcasters ZDF on Monday that “he will almost certainly be going to PSG”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/17/psg-thomas-tuchel-pole-position-new-manager

Interesting appointment if true. I like the idea of seeing what he can do with Mbappe. There would be a lot of egos for him to deal with in the dressing room though. Big test for him handling all that drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

The Les Herbiers story is magic. I probably mentioned before they are from Vendée, the region my Dad and all his family are from. I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan, but we keep an eye on their results in the National every week and obviously hope they do well.

They were the first ever Vendée team to reach the last 32 of the competition and just kept going. The draws were reasonable in fairness (beat 2 x Ligue 2 sides) but it's still incredible. We sat down and watched the match together and I think he nearly cried when the 2nd goal went in :pac: some of my relations were there in a crowd of 35k+

Don't know if I want PSG in the final for the sheer spectacle of it, or Caen to have a faint chance of going all the way....

• Advertisement

It's going to be a David vs Goliath clash in the final - Les Herbiers' opponents will be PSG who beat Caen tonight 3-1 in the second semi-final.

I would have loved Caen to advance and credit to them they did better than I was expecting; it was 2-1 up until Nkunku scored in stoppage time, Mbappe having scored twice earlier.

I hope the fairytale final doesn't turn into a nightmare. I'd hate to see PSG spank them and after what happened to Monaco it's a distinct possibility.

Tonight's results:
    Nantes 1-1 Rennes
    Dijon 2-5 Lyon

Disappointing result for both Nantes and Rennes with both chasing a Europa League place. Nantes had to play most of the second half with ten men after their top scorer Emiliano Sala was dismissed.

I saw the Dijon vs Lyon game which was entertaining. The scoreline flatters Lyon quite a bit as Rafael handled the ball in the build up to Lyon's first goal which was scored by Depay. Dijon were also harshly denied two penalties. Lyon merited the win though as Dijon's keeper Reynet kept them in the match with a lot of saves. Dijon's defence was poor and they now have the worst defensive record in the league. I've been impressed with Depay in the striker role and he's up to 15 goals for the season. Fekir also scored a nice goal and it's good to see him fit again.

Lyon are now a point behind second-placed Monaco who play away to Guingamp tomorrow. Marseille are also in action tomorrow and they are three points behind Lyon. Ligue 1 only gets three Champions League places so one of the above teams will miss out. I think Marseille have the slightly tougher run-in so I'd lean towards it being them. (Of course if they won the Europa League they'd qualify but that's easier said than done)

As well as the scrap for Champions League places, tomorrow will be significant for the relegation scrap. Marseille's game is home to Lille (18th), Amiens (14th) play Strasbourg (16th), Metz (20th) meet Caen (15th) and Toulouse (17th) host Angers (13th).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Guingamp stun Monaco with a 3-1 home win - the former could well improve on last year's 10th place and 50-point haul, but it's a blow to the Louis II outfit's push to secure second place. Elsewhere, Toulouse's 2-0 win over Angers assists their battle against the drop, but Metz's draw with Caen, and Lille's 5-1 thrashing by OM leaves them firmly in the relegation zone. Strasbourg lost 2-0 to Amiens, but may be reprieved by the shortcomings of their immediate rivals.

https://uk.soccerway.com/national/france/ligue-1/20172018/regular-season/r41646/

The battle for the Champions League places was just blown wide open with that Monaco result. Now only a point separating Monaco, Lyon and Marseille. I hear Jemerson was sent off early which must have had a big effect on the outcome.

Amiens should be safe now after hitting the 40 point mark. Great achievement for them to stay up. Kakuta has been huge for them. Pleased to hear Toulouse got a win. I'd like them to stay up as they have some promising young players.

Tomorrow's games:
    Nice vs Montpellier

Saint-Etienne vs Troyes

Bordeaux vs PSG

Nice, Montpellier and Saint-Etienne will all be looking to capitalise on that draw between Nantes and Rennes on Friday in the battle for a Europa League place. A win for Bordeaux puts them back in the mix but I can't see them beating PSG. Anything for Troyes would help their survival hopes but Saint-Etienne are in good form and I'd be surprised if they came away with something.

Also Stade de Reims were promoted yesterday after winning Ligue 2.

Sunday's results:
    Nice 1-0 Montpellier
    Saint-Etienne 2-1 Troyes
    Bordeaux 0-1 PSG

Nice and Saint-Etienne the big winners this round in the battle for Europa League places as they go 5th and 6th respectively. Frustrating night for Troyes as they led 1-0 up until the 68th minute and then conceded two goals in quick succession. Troyes 18th in the table and in danger of being cut adrift as Toulouse in 17th are 4 points clear, plus have a game in hand.

Bordeaux's faint hopes of a European spot look over now. I turned on the game for the final few minutes and from what I could gather they missed lots of chances. Areola seemingly had a very good game for PSG.

Was checking out highlights of the weekend games and there were some lovely goals this round. Check out this acrobatic equaliser from Caen's Jessy Deminguet against Metz...

https://twitter.com/CDL1Videos/status/987794912006504449

Also this superb volley from a corner by Guingamp's Etienne Didot in their win over Monaco...

https://twitter.com/goal/status/987791080379723776

Having looked at highlights of the PSG game Areola did indeed play very well and his 8 saves were the most for a PSG keeper since Sirigu back in 2011. Bordeaux's Malcom also did very well and caused problems. Good to see him showing his ability and I've a feeling he'll attract plenty of interest in the summer.

15th-placed Caen and 16th-placed Toulouse played out a goalless draw earlier today leaving them on 37 and 34 points respectively. Caen look okay as far as staying up goes but Toulouse are still in danger - they and 17th-placed Strasbourg are 5 points clear of Troyes at the moment.

In other news, the Get French Football News site is reporting tonight that France's governing body have made a series of changes for the future:
    • The summer window won't shut before the season begins as it will in England. Instead it will remain open until August 31st, while the Premier League window shuts August 9th.
    • A new schedule for Ligue 1 matches from 2020/21 onwards like so:

Friday @ 21:00 – 1 match

Saturday @ 17:00 – 1 match

Saturday @ 21:00 – 1 match

Sunday @ 13:00 – 1 match

Sunday @ 15:00 – 4 matches

Sunday @ 17:00 – 1 match

Sunday @ 21:00 – 1 match

Get French Football News reports: "The aim of this move is to increase attendances with a series of Sunday afternoon games, in an announcement that has largely been welcomed by French football fans."
    • The contract for goal-line technology with GoalControl has been axed after there were several dubious calls made with it this season. Hawk-Eye will instead be used for goal-line technology next season, and it will also implement VAR.

I'm happy enough with those decisions though I would have liked to see the window shut before the season starts.

Significant result tonight in the battle for Europa League places as Saint-Etienne win away 1-0 against Montpellier. It means Saint-Etienne go 5th while Montpellier's hopes for Europe are effectively over as they stay 8th. Montpellier had the most chances but were very wasteful. Hamouma got the winning goal from a Cabella assist. Ruffier again put in a great performance, saving a penalty from Montpellier's top scorer Giovanni Sio, as well as producing other good stops.

I said a few weeks ago I think Ruffier is currently France's most in-form keeper. And on that note, the Ligue 1 Player and Coach shortlists have been announced and they are as follows...

Goalkeeper of the Season

Alphonse Areola (PSG)
    Benjamin Lecomte (Montpellier)
    Anthony Lopes (Lyon)
    Steve Mandanda (Marseille)

I'm amazed Ruffier hasn't been shortlisted. He didn't make it last season either and I can't believe it's happened again. Guy is so underrated and I feel for him. Of the names listed here, I would like to see Areola get it as I think he's improved hugely from last season.

Young Player of the Season

Houssem Aouar (Lyon)
    Tanguy N'Dombele (Lyon)
    Malcom (Bordeaux)
    Kylian Mbappe (PSG)

This is a much better shortlist and I'm delighted to see N'Dombele nominated as I've been raving about him all season. I think a case can be made for all of these guys but I would give it to N'Dombele as he's been immense every time I've seen him. I think he's going to be a superstar in the very near future. Guy is so powerful and technically good to boot, and has stepped up in big games.

Manager of the Season

Olivier Dall'Oglio (Dijon)
    Unai Emery (PSG)
    Leonardo Jardim (Monaco)
    Rudi Garcia (Marseille)

I can see the arguments for these contenders although I'd have Antoine Kombouare in there for the super job he's done with Guingamp this season. Of the names mentioned I'd be leaning towards Garcia as I think he's done a tremendous job for OM and with a squad that I think is worse than Lyon's and Monaco's. I suspect Emery will win it and I wouldn't begrudge him that given PSG's dominance domestically.

Player of the Season

Neymar (PSG)
    Florian Thauvin (Marseille)
    Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
    Edinson Cavani (PSG)

I'd have Luiz Gustavo or Fekir in there ahead of Mbappe. This award is an unusual one as Neymar had this award wrapped up prior to his injury; some of his performances were incredible. But he's been injured the last few months so can you still give him the award? Not sure. Thauvin will get a lot of support and he's been great this season but when I saw him play against the big teams I thought he was disappointing. Cavani broke records and was excellent in the first half of the season but he might be considered an underwhelming choice. I don't really mind who gets this but I don't think Mbappe merits it; his form wasn't consistent enough imo.

Saturday results:
    Lyon 2-0 Nantes
    Bordeaux 3-1 Dijon
    Lille 3-1 Metz
    Monaco 0-0 Amiens
    Strasbourg 1-1 Nice
    Troyes 3-1 Caen

Plenty of drama tonight as Lyon overtake Monaco in second place. Depay continuing his fantastic form with a goal and an assist. He's really flourishing in that role up top. Monaco's goalless draw was the first time since 2015 they've failed to score at home in Ligue 1. If Marseille win tomorrow Monaco will drop to fourth, meaning there's a very real chance now they'll miss out on the Champions League since only the top 3 places qualify for the competition.

Plenty of exciting developments at the other end of the table too as Lille in 19th win the crunch match with bottom club Metz. Nicolas Pepe and Luiz Araujo with a goal and assist each for Lille. Troyes in 18th also record a priceless victory over 15th placed Caen. Strasbourg in 16th almost achieved a big win themselves but a Balotelli penalty in the second half cost them two points. It's looking very interesting at the bottom...

14. Angers / Played 34 = 37 pts
    15. Caen / Played 35 = 36 pts
    16. Strasbourg / Played 35 = 35 pts
    17. Toulouse / Played 34 = 34 pts
    18. Troyes / Played 35 = 32 pts
    19. Lille / Played 35 = 32 pts
    20. Metz / Played 35 = 26 pts

Metz needing a bit of a miracle now after their defeat. Toulouse are away to Europa League-chasing Rennes tomorrow afternoon so any result would be a positive there. Angers will have a tough game with Marseille, although I'd be surprised to see them get sucked into a relegation battle with their remaining fixtures.

Next week Lille are away to Toulouse in what could be a massive match. As miserable as their season has been, I've got a feeling Lille will manage to stay up. I think Pepe's goals will do it for them, even if it's via the relegation/promotion play-off route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Young Player of the Season

Houssem Aouar (Lyon)
    Tanguy N'Dombele (Lyon)
    Malcom (Bordeaux)
    Kylian Mbappe (PSG)

This is a much better shortlist and I'm delighted to see N'Dombele nominated as I've been raving about him all season. I think a case can be made for all of these guys but I would give it to N'Dombele as he's been immense every time I've seen him. I think he's going to be a superstar in the very near future. Guy is so powerful and technically good to boot, and has stepped up in big games.

Manager of the Season

Olivier Dall'Oglio (Dijon)
    Unai Emery (PSG)
    Leonardo Jardim (Monaco)
    Rudi Garcia (Marseille)

I can see the arguments for these contenders although I'd have Antoine Kombouare in there for the super job he's done with Guingamp this season. Of the names mentioned I'd be leaning towards Garcia as I think he's done a tremendous job for OM and with a squad that I think is worse than Lyon's and Monaco's. I suspect Emery will win it and I wouldn't begrudge him that given PSG's dominance domestically.

Player of the Season

Neymar (PSG)
    Florian Thauvin (Marseille)
    Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
    Edinson Cavani (PSG)

I'd have Luiz Gustavo or Fekir in there ahead of Mbappe. This award is an unusual one as Neymar had this award wrapped up prior to his injury; some of his performances were incredible. But he's been injured the last few months so can you still give him the award? Not sure. Thauvin will get a lot of support and he's been great this season but when I saw him play against the big teams I thought he was disappointing. Cavani broke records and was excellent in the first half of the season but he might be considered an underwhelming choice. I don't really mind who gets this but I don't think Mbappe merits it; his form wasn't consistent enough imo.

Do you think Mbappe is too obvious a choice for young player considering his ridiculous potential and the team he plays in?

• Advertisement

Do you think Mbappe is too obvious a choice for young player considering his ridiculous potential and the team he plays in?

I can see why they might go with him as when he was on form he was excellent. What would make me shy away from giving it to him is that there were a few big games like the ones away to Marseille, Monaco, Nice where he struggled; and it's hard to ignore that he plays in a team that can still get wins even when one player isn't quite at their best, which you can't quite say for the others.

I remember back just before the Real Madrid first leg game in the Champions League where his form dipped, and there was a lot of speculation that Emery might start Di Maria over him instead, whose form was super at that time. In the end Emery benched Di Maria and went with Mbappe and if you recall that game Mbappe didn't have a great performance then either.

His stats are impressive, and I would say overall his season has been a very good one, but I think the winner of this award should be someone who has a great season rather than a very good one. I suppose I'm holding him to a higher standard than the others because of who he plays for.

I wouldn't complain if he wins the award but I'd like to see one of the others get it.

Rennes have beaten Toulouse 2-1 despite playing the last twenty minutes with ten men. Bourigeaud got the winning goal. It means Toulouse remain just two points above the bottom three while Rennes have overtaken Nice on goal difference in 6th place.

Angers vs Marseille kicks off shortly with an Angers win likely guaranteeing safety, while a Marseille win can see them overtake Monaco in third. Team news:
    Angers XI: Butelle; Manceau, Traore, Pavlovic, Bamba; Santamaria; Oniangue, Mangani, Tait, Capelle; Toko Ekambi.

Marseille XI: Pele; Sarr, Luiz Gustavo, Rami, Amavi; Thauvin, Anguissa, Lopez, Ocampos; N'Jie, Germain.

Interesting to see how Marseille fare given they have the Europa League 2nd leg with Salzburg on their mind.

Perfect start for OM. Thauvin bags another goal, this time from the spot after just 3 minutes.

Traore just equalised for Angers. A header from a set-piece. They are worthy of that really as Mangani missed a sitter earlier.

Also I think this commentator needs glasses. He just said there was a minute to go when we're at 79 minutes.

Full-Time: It ends Anger 1-1 Marseille. Good point for Angers and well deserved. That puts them on 38 points and while they're not mathematically safe, they should be okay; very disappointing result for OM who miss out on the chance to go third and remain a point behind Monaco, and two points behind Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a goal. :eek:

Deserved lead for Guingamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And Briand makes it 2-0! Ironically, Guingamp looked flat out, with an equaliser looking inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

2-2.

I swithed it on for the final ten minutes and heard the commentators praising Marcus Thuram's performance. From the little I saw of him tonight he looked impressive.

Shame Guingamp couldn't hold out for the win; it would have lifted them up to 8th and put them in contention for a European place. That doesn't look likely now with them 11th.

Surprise result tonight as Amiens manage a 2-2 draw at home to PSG. Moussa Konate got a brace for the home side and moves up to 12 goals for the season; Cavani and Nkunku got PSG's goals.

It means Amiens are mathematically safe now, though they weren't looking likely to go down. PSG's hope meanwhile of finishing the season with 100 points are now over.

In other news Nimes have been promoted from Ligue 2, joining Ligue 2 champs Reims.

No games today as there's a whopping 9 games lined up on Sunday. Disappointed to see that the big showdown to avoid relegation between 17th-place Toulouse (34 pts) and 19th-placed Lille (32 pts) doesn't appear to be televised. BT Sport are instead focusing all their attention on the battle for Champions League places with Lyon vs Troyes at 3:30pm on BT Sport 2, and Caen vs Monaco on BT Sport 3 from 4pm.

Marseille vs Nice is the evening game at 8pm which should be good. Pity it's clashing with the Clasico.

In other news it's being reported that Atletico Madrid have struck a deal to land Monaco's Fabinho next season. Very good signing for Atletico if true. I expected PSG to move for him. Wonder what that means for Monaco now. They were able to survive the loss of Bakayoko but losing Fabinho will be a huge blow. Tielemans hasn't been the impressive signing that everyone hoped he would be and their central midfield is in danger of looking lightweight. Makes you wonder if Jardim will soon think about heading elsewhere.

Today has been one of the most dramatic days of the season. Results:
    Saint-Etienne 1-3 Bordeaux
    Lyon 3-0 Troyes
    Caen 1-2 Monaco
    Dijon 3-1 Guingamp
    Metz 1-2 Angers
    Nantes 0-2 Montpellier
    Rennes 2-1 Strasbourg
    Toulouse 2-3 Lille

Had a feeling Toulouse vs Lille would be good and so it proved. Lille were 2-1 down going into the final ten minutes but two late goals move them out of the relegation zone and up to 16th. I fancied Nicolas Pepe's goals would get Lille out of trouble and his two goals have given them a very good chance of escaping the drop.

Metz meanwhile have been relegated after they threw away a winning lead by conceding two late goals in stoppage time. That sums up Metz this season really. Defence let them down big time.

Five teams still in danger of joining Metz for the drop with 2 games left:

15. Caen.................37 pts
    16. Lille...................35 pts
    17. Strasbourg..........35 pts
    18. Toulouse.............34 pts
    19. Troyes.................32 pts
    20. Metz....................26 pts (R)

I watched the Lyon win over Troyes which was comfortable and sees them keep hold of second. Monaco though were in danger of dropping out of the Champions League places as they were being held to a draw into stoppage time; then Caen keeper Vercoutre gave a poor punch for a cross and that let teenager Moussa Sylla get the winner and his second of the game.

Final game this evening is Marseille vs Nice with the home side needing to win to keep pace with Monaco for the Champions League; Nice meanwhile are chasing a Europa League place. Teams:
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Kamara, Rolando, Amavi; Gustavo, Anguissa; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Nice XI: Benitez; Souquet, Dante, Marlon, Le Marchand; Cyprien, Seri, Lees-Melou; Saint-Maximin, Balotelli, Plea.

Quite a lot of those Marseille players were playing Extra-Time against Salzburg on Thursday. Interesting to see if their exertions catch up with them as they're playing a Nice side with something to fight for themselves.

I think Nice can get a draw out of this.

Update: Game is on BT Sport X2 due to tennis.

• Advertisement

1-0 Nice. Lovely finish from Balotelli.

Update: 1-1. Germain from close range after an assist from - who else - Payet.

Update II: Payet gives Marseille the lead! He walks it into the net after good work from Njie. 20 minutes remaining.

Marseille beat Nice 2-1, taking them back to a point within Monaco who are third and two points off Lyon in second. Payet with another big performance scoring the winner, and providing an assist. Nice meanwhile stay seventh, a point behind Saint-Etienne.

The French Cup Final is coming up on Tuesday evening, live on TV5 from 8pm. PSG will take on third tier side Les Herbiers.

PSG leading Les Herbiers 1-0 at half-time in the French Cup final. Lo Celso with the goal for Paris. Fair play to the third tier side for giving it a good go so far.

Update: It ended 2-0 to PSG. Cavani got the second from the penalty spot. And with that, PSG complete the domestic treble. I'm pleased at least Les Herbiers didn't get thrashed. Almost a cool moment at the end as Trapp had the ball taken past him but Thiago Silva was there to prevent a consolation goal.

Huge blow to Marseille's hopes of qualifying for the Champions League via the league route as they drew 3-3 away to Guingamp. Didn't see the game but sounds like it was a cracker. Marseille had been leading 2-0 but Guingamp came back to lead 3-2 before Thauvin - who got two goals and an assist in the game - scored a late equaliser. Mandanda had been sent off for the final 25 minutes too.

It now means Lyon can guarantee a Champions League spot with a win away Saturday evening at Strasbourg, while Monaco will effectively do the same (due to their superior goal difference over Marseille) if they beat Saint-Etienne at home. Both games are on BT Sport.

Marseille's Champions League hopes may now rest on beating Atletico in the Europa League final. They always have to do things the hard way.

Saturday results:
    Amiens 2-0 Metz
    Angers 0-2 Nantes
    Bordeaux 4-2 Toulouse
    Lille 2-1 Dijon
    Monaco 1-0 Saint-Etienne
    Montpellier 1-1 Troyes
    Nice 4-1 Caen
    PSG 0-2 Rennes
    Strasbourg 3-2 Lyon

Dramatic night in the penultimate round of the season. Lille are safe for another year due to their win. Strasbourg are also safe after a shock win over Lyon which puts Lyon's Champions League hopes in jeopardy. Monaco meanwhile have achieved Champions League football via a stoppage time peno from Fabinho. Rennes have secured Europa League football thanks to a surprise win away to PSG - this was PSG's first home loss in Ligue 1 since March 2016.

It all means while the title has been decided, the battle for the Champions League, Europa League and relegation places are all live going into next Saturday evening's final round.

Champions League places

1. PSG - 92 pts
    2. Monaco - 77 pts (Goal Diff. 37)
    3. Lyon - 75 pts (Goal Diff. 43)
    4. Marseille - 74 pts (Goal Diff. 32)

Fixtures - Round 38

Troyes vs Monaco
    Lyon vs Nice
    Marseille vs Amiens

Only the top three teams reach the Champions League in Ligue 1. Monaco are safe now; Marseille need to beat Amiens and hope Lyon fail to beat a Nice side who have Europa League aspirations to play for. Marseille play Atletico in the Europa League final on Wednesday; if they win that, then they don't have to worry about qualifying.

Europa League places

5. Rennes - 57 pts
    6. Nice - 54 pts (Goal Diff = 2)
    7. Bordeaux - 52 pts (Goal Diff. = 1)
    8. Saint-Etienne - 52 pts (Goal Diff. = -8)

Fixtures - Round 38

Lyon vs Nice
    Metz vs Bordeaux
    Saint-Etienne vs Lille

Only 5th and 6th reach the Europa League. Rennes are safely there. Nice have by far the toughest fixture taking on a Lyon side fighting to get in the CL. This one is tight and could come down to goal difference.

Relegation places

17. Caen - 37 pts (Goal Diff. -25)
    18. Toulouse - 34 pts (Goal Diff. -17)
    19. Troyes - 33 pts (Goal Diff. -24)
    20. Metz - 26 pts (R)

Fixtures - Round 38

Caen vs PSG
    Toulouse vs Guingamp
    Troyes vs Monaco

The bottom two teams go down automatically while the team in 18th goes into a relegation/promotion play-off. If Toulouse beat Guingamp and Caen lose to PSG then Toulouse will be staying up. Lot of things to keep an eye on down here.

Should be an exciting wrap up to the season.

Thomas Tuchel confirmed as PSG's new manager.

https://twitter.com/PSG_English/status/996055305380401152

Not a surprise since a few weeks ago Bayern's president revealed he had turned them down and was Paris-bound. It will be interesting to see Tuchel's style of play with PSG's impressive firepower.

I imagine the top priorities will be a DM and a LB. Reports suggest they want a GK too, although I thought Areola had a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I've really tailed off from this thread of late. Honestly nothing to do with the whole Nantes' season falling apart thing :o

Ranieri is as good as gone at end of season.. the latest rumour is Jurgen Klinsmann in as manager with Youri Djorkaeff as sporting director. Not that is makes much odds - as long as the current owner remains in place, you won't see many managers last longer than a season there...

Final day of the season coming up tonight with all games kicking off at 8pm. Looks like BT are showing Lyon vs Nice, Troyes vs Monaco and Marseille vs Amiens.

Think I'll give Lyon vs Nice a watch with Lyon looking to guarantee Champions League football with a win, while Nice may need a win to ensure Europa League football depending on results elsewhere.
    Lyon XI: Gorgelin; Mendy, Morel, Marcelo, Rafael; Ndombele, Tousart, Aouar; Fekir; Depay, Traore.

Nice XI: Benitez; Souquet, Marlon, Dante, Le Marchand; Seri, Tameze, Cyprien; Saint-Maximin, Balotelli, Plea.

Almost an end of era type game. Likely Fekir will move on and perhaps Ndombele. Balotelli and Plea will almost certainly move on. Lucien Favre is tipped to take over at Dortmund.

Should be a good contest.

Marseille have taken the lead against Amiens through Morgan Sanson. Means as it stands Marseille will take the final Champions League spot. Lyon are going to have to beat Nice and it's 0-0 at the moment after 16 minutes.

Plea scores! Nice take the lead!

Massive blow for Lyon's Champions League hopes and a great boost for Nice's Europa League hopes.

Update: Marseille now 2-0 up via Mitroglou so they're doing their bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement